Closings, Cancellations, State of Emergency, announcements due to Coronavirus?

lowbuckbob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My son just came from Brockton Wally World. He said the shelves were virtually bare. No bread, no milk, no pasta. WTF? I'm getting extremely fed up with this "end of the world" mentality. It's not doing my blood pressure any good.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Worcester schools closed.
Auburn just closed schools for 2 weeks.
Neither showing up on those lists yet.

National State of Emergency

Last edited:

djbradles

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Worcester Public schools closed until April 6th. 3 weeks off for all students and staff. Durkin Admin building will remain open.

commodon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was announced this afternoon all public schools in the Town of Foxboro are closed for two weeks, beginning March 16th, to re-open March 30th.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I live in a tourist community in NH. It'll be interesting to see if less people travel up this way this weekend.
Judging from traffic on our two main highways today......TONS......

Supporting evidence is the number of mAss plates in local supermarket lots yesterday AND today....swung thru on my way to fuel up earlier.......

Lot was UFB......mass plates EVERYWHERE......Lots of NY too.....f***ers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Supporting evidence is the number of mAss plates in local supermarket lots yesterday AND today....swung thru on my way to fuel up earlier.......

I live near loon mountain and they closed down the gondola.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loon Mountain put this out today.

• To reduce confined close-contact situations, the Gondola will be closed until further notice. Seven Brothers Triple and East Basin Double will operate daily for access to the summit of Loon Peak.
  • Singles lines will be removed at all lifts. Loon team members will not ask guests to join other groups on a chairlift.
  • Kinderbear and PK Boo lessons, Daycare and all lesson programs for ages 7 & under have been suspended to help reduce situations that require close-contact and extended time indoors.
  • Seasonal Programs: Scouts and Development Team groups with participants ages 7 & under have been suspended.
  • Removing seats and tables from Octagon and Governor Adams lodges to increase social distancing

Reactions: jpk

dans

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just got notified, along with everyone else in my group, that we are to work from home starting Monday.

Reactions: TLB

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Loon Mountain put this out today.

• To reduce confined close-contact situations, the Gondola will be closed until further notice. Seven Brothers Triple and East Basin Double will operate daily for access to the summit of Loon Peak.
  • Singles lines will be removed at all lifts. Loon team members will not ask guests to join other groups on a chairlift.
  • Kinderbear and PK Boo lessons, Daycare and all lesson programs for ages 7 & under have been suspended to help reduce situations that require close-contact and extended time indoors.
  • Seasonal Programs: Scouts and Development Team groups with participants ages 7 & under have been suspended.
  • Removing seats and tables from Octagon and Governor Adams lodges to increase social distancing
Nothing more enjoyable than riding a double to the summit with freezing temperatures and a 20 mph wind.

Reactions: jpk

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Let's say there is a household income of $48,000 gross, which gives you a $4,000 monthly gross and approximately $3,300 net.

If you figure $1,200 for rent, $120 for electricity, $60 for phone (unrealistically cheap), $100 for heat and $50 for car insurance you have an average fixed expense of $1,530. That leaves $1,770 for all other expenses - including food, gas, etc.

Let's say you have a 20 mile commute each way. Your realistic MPG is 15. The average gas price is $2.50. That is $144.44 per month in gas for commuting alone. Can you think of any other drains on monthly income that people may have that does not involve Narragansett and Newports? It gets pretty tight on $48,000. Imagine making less.
Imagine making $48K/yr and not bothering to qualify for food stamps or Section 8.

An egg is 12 cents. TWELVE CENTS! With a modicum of brain power, you can feed a family on about $3/day per person. Will it be Ho-Ho's and Spaghettios? No. Will it be eggs, oatmeal, PB&J, rice'and'beans and such? Yeah. Is it nutritious? Yes. Is it $3/day? YES! Maybe $4 if you have youngsters sucking down milk. (My mom used to kill us for that.). Hell, frickin chicken was 79c/lb today at Tanny Hanny. Splurge on Sunday and have a big-ass meal for 4. Might cost you $12 for the whole thing. Corned beef - $1.79/lb. Don't even have to miss out on that.

Don't tell me you can't feed your kids. I would steal, kill or die to take care of my family. All this food-help for the "poor" in this state is really an excuse to get people indoctrinated into letting the State take care of you.

I love how cars only get 15mpg. Many $48K/yr folks driving Duelies or Range Rovers? My daughter has an 03 Corolla. 30MPG.

And lets not get into the all of the arguments of why the Frick you have kids and not be able to support them. Again, please don't tell me in the best job economy we've seen in decades someone can't get a decent job. It don't exist.

Do these people live in Shangri-La??? No. Can they live within their means without ANOTHER government program, provided they skip the Newports and Narragansett? Yes.

All THAT said, is there a SMALL percentage of people who really truly are down on their luck and need assistance? Yes. And I'm willing that there are 10 people who get free food at school for every one that really needs it. Period. I don't want to step on the truly needy, but we've got tons of people who think they DESERVE something. No one handed me anything. I made it on my own.

All of this should go back to being a local program like it was when I was a kid. It was town by town. You had to prove you needed it. Only those who really needed it got it. The rest had to cut back on Newports and Narragansett. Now we've nationalized and anonymous-ized these programs so you click a few buttons and BAM, out comes free food. Or worse, you have a Michelle Obama school district that decides every kid gets food for free every day PLUS food to take home. Talk about taking over a family!

And REALLY don't get me started on the s-word they feed kids in school today. It's awful. The dumbest rock on this planet was Michelle Obama and her terrible School Foods For Youz program.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I live in a tourist community in NH. It'll be interesting to see if less people travel up this way this weekend.

The seabrook area is going to get another 800+/- people from all over the country in the next 2 weeks for the refueling outage at the nuclear plant. Not looking forward to that and being stuck in close quarters with those people.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0

Oh, and Newton schools closed indefinitely

ccm75

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Northboro/Southboro closed for 2 weeks.
At first my kids were psyched, but then they were like - what the heck are we going to do? No mention of on-line classes or virtual anything which they could obviously do.
They have jobs, one which may shutter due to Covid-19, and they can do stuff for me at my office...but 2 weeks for a 17 year olds is a long time.
I wish it was turkey season, I'd have my son out every morning if I could drag his butt out of bed at 4:30am....
Good chance to take them and a friend to the range though....
This to shall pass..............

Last edited:

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Northboro/Southboro closed for 2 weeks.
At first my kids were psyched, but then they were like - what the heck are we going to do? No mention of on-line classes or virtual anything which they could obviously do.
They have jobs, one which may shutter due to Covid-19, and they can do stuff for me at my office...but 2 weeks for a 17 year olds is a long time.
I wish it was turkey season, I'd have my son out every morning if I could drag his out of bed at 4:30am....
Good chance to take them and a friend to the range though....
This to shall pass..............
My kids are all beyond school now, but good to know.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think my son was a little bummed about school being closed. It's a big social scene, in addition to the learning.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Ill put this out there.

State of emergency declared by Baker. Meaning no need to make up days.

Ergo, no extra work for school systems. And there is no incentive to NOT to close schools.

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill put this out there.

State of emergency declared by Baker. Meaning no need to make up days.

Ergo, no extra work for school systems. And there is no incentive to NOT to close schools.

180 School Day Requirement:
In light of concerns about possible school closings for public health reasons, I have updated DESE’s guidance about the requirement for 180 days of school to provide relief to districts. (Note: The Department will continue to revisit this guidance if the situation warrants it.):

1. All days lost to health, weather, or safety emergencies between the first day of the school year and March 15 must be made up by rescheduling full school days to ensure a 180-day school year.
  2. All days lost to health, weather, or safety emergencies between March 16 and June 1 must be made up to ensure a 180-day school year or until the district has reached its previously-scheduled 185th day, whichever comes first. If all five snow days have been used prior to this point, the district is not required to scheduled additional school days.
  3. Districts will not be expected to make up any days lost to health, weather, or safety emergencies that occur after June 1.
This change means that if you have already canceled school for five days before March 15, you do not need to schedule additional make-up days for any days that school is closed after March 15. The longest that any school district will be required to go is its scheduled 185th day. No schools will be required to be in session after June 30. This policy applies to the current (2019-20) school year only. Anyone who feels that they have special circumstances should contact Associate Commissioner Helene Bettencourt at [email protected] or 781-338-3120.

🐯

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

[angry]

Top Bottom