Closings, Cancellations, State of Emergency, announcements due to Coronavirus?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heard of companies starting to ask employees to work from home, schools closing, cities and states having "State of Emergency".

Please only post "Closings, Cancellations, State of Emergency, announcements", and try to not clog this all up with discussions. Make sure it is a real announcement or declaration, and not speculation.

Not really sure how to categorize this, but I'll start:

COUNTRIES:
ALL OF ITALY

China?
Japan?

States:

State of Oregon:

State of New York:

State of Ohio

COUNTIES:

Delaware County:

CITIES AND TOWNS:

SCHOOLS/COLLEGES:

View: https://twitter.com/CentreCountyRep/status/1237230254097182720

Plainville school officials are closing two elementary schools Monday out of caution as they wait for a parent’s coronavirus test results, and Arlington is closing an elementary school after a parent was confirmed to have a presumptive positive case of the virus. The Arlington parent’s child is also showing symptoms of the virus and is being tested, officials said.

Probably SHOULD close:

COMPANIES, ORGANIZATIONS, OR INDIVIDUAL OR COMPANY EVENTS:

No fans at WPI NCAA basketball playoff game.

NOTABLE OR SIGNIFICANT INDIVIDUALS:
Ted Cruz is self-quarantining after being exposed at AIPAC.

Last edited:

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
There were going to be four regional National History Day competitions at various points all through the state, and probably in other states as well. Sort of a "science fair" for history. Every one of them got cancelled, with a tentative makeup date of 04 April... at one central location, somewhere.

The METG High School drama competition's second round is next weekend, also at seven sites around the Commonwealth. There'll be a meeting on the 11th, where I'm sure cancellation will come up for discussion... or they might do the NCAA thing and just compete without an audience.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were going to be four regional National History Day competitions at various points all through the state, and probably in other states as well. Sort of a "science fair" for history. Every one of them got cancelled, with a tentative makeup date of 04 April... at one central location, somewhere.

The METG High School drama competition's second round is next weekend, also at seven sites around the Commonwealth. There'll be a meeting on the 11th, where I'm sure cancellation will come up for discussion... or they might do the NCAA thing and just compete without an audience.

I'll need to ask Ron when next we speak re: Jesse what's happening in MMA.

Artie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Plainville school officials are closing two elementary schools Monday out of caution as they wait for a parent’s coronavirus test results, and Arlington is closing an elementary school after a parent was confirmed to have a presumptive positive case of the virus. The Arlington parent’s child is also showing symptoms of the virus and is being tested, officials said.

Buck F

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Will Plainville shut down the school for two weeks if the parent tests positive? If not, then why shut down tomorrow? You’d think they’d quarantine the student/parent, not shut the school down.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Will Plainville shut down the school for two weeks if the parent tests positive? If not, then why shut down tomorrow? You’d think they’d quarantine the student/parent, not shut the school down.
Cleaning, pending the positive test on the kid. Seems to be the evolving SOP not to commit to a full 14-day closure right off the bat.

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My niece and nephew's school in Arlington is now closed. One of the parents was at the Biogen conference and is a presumptive positive with symptomatic family members.

My parents normally watch their grandkids(mine and my niece/nephew) one day a week, but I am now telling them to stay home and reduce exposure. Luckily, they heeded my advice earlier and stocked up on food.

Also, my wife's company (large pharmaceutical) just sent an email out that their offices are essentially closed until at least the end of May. Work from home whenever possible. If you have to go in, they have all sorts of rules on how close you can be to people.

Currently evaluating pulling my kid out of daycare until this starts to subside. Will likely do it this week.

BaldAssCat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This was cancled less than a month out.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
This is going to be a huge loss for the organizers, vendors, performers and the city:

edmorseiii

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This is going to be a huge loss for the organizers, vendors, performers and the city:

I just heard on the financial exchange show that the big fag fest Coachella is next to be cancelled.

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My daughter has a senior trip to NYC the third week in April.
The school is waiting to make a decision as to whether or not to cancel it.
Keep in mind situations will develop after you've committed. A coworker of mine went to the Philippines with flight through South Korea. He verified before leaving that no quarantine was necessary unless flying through China. Criteria changed while he was over there and he returned to a quarantine mandate.

Regardless of the school's position, would you feel comfortable with her going there now?

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Families,
This afternoon, SAU41 became aware of an employee who was being tested for COVID-19. Immediately after this information came to our office, we began planning for a proactive response to mitigate risk for our students, staff, and families. I have had direct conversations with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Commissioner of Education. I have decided to close all buildings in SAU41 tomorrow, March 10, acting with an overabundance of caution. Closing for the day will allow us to disinfect high risk areas within the buildings. No decision has been made yet regarding the status of school on Wednesday, March 11. Additional communication will be forthcoming as we receive more information.

Local voting in Brookline will take place as scheduled at CSDA tomorrow between 7am and 7:30pm. Tonight’s Hollis Brookline High School Boys Varsity Basketball playoff game has been postponed. We appreciate your understanding as we work together through this extenuating circumstance.

Thanks,

Andy

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Commonwealth Financial in Waltham had one of its employees attend a conference in Boston where an individual was tested positive. Not the employee himself but since he was there it is a problem I guess. Sorry I do not know the specific conference.

Anyway, they told all employees to Work From Home (WFH) until further notice. A relative of mine works there and this was announced today.

Woodsloafer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I am refusing to attend an all-day workshop tomorrow because the instructors, etc. are coming from various areas in the eastern part of the state (Boston area basically). I asked them to guarantee (in writing) that I would not have any exposure and/or have to be quarantined and they said they could not make those guarantees. I told them, without those guarantees, I felt there was a danger to my health/family and would not be attending - they actually did not give me any flack and now I believe they are thinking that assembling everyone for a workshop right now might not be the best idea.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I was just told by wife that all nursing homes in the state of Ct. have just been quarantined. She has her father who was just placed in one and his significant other cannot visit him. Third hand info. Don’t quote me on it...

goslow

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Saint Patrick's Day parade this year in Southie.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Families,
This afternoon, SAU41 became aware of an employee who was being tested for COVID-19. Immediately after this information came to our office, we began planning for a proactive response to mitigate risk for our students, staff, and families. I have had direct conversations with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Commissioner of Education. I have decided to close all buildings in SAU41 tomorrow, March 10, acting with an overabundance of caution. Closing for the day will allow us to disinfect high risk areas within the buildings. No decision has been made yet regarding the status of school on Wednesday, March 11. Additional communication will be forthcoming as we receive more information.

Local voting in Brookline will take place as scheduled at CSDA tomorrow between 7am and 7:30pm. Tonight’s Hollis Brookline High School Boys Varsity Basketball playoff game has been postponed. We appreciate your understanding as we work together through this extenuating circumstance.

Thanks,

Andy

Super! I found out about an exposure in town today and now potentially in Brookline. Covid-19 is closing in.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
From the Gloucester Schools today... tldr version: spouse of a teacher was asked to stay home from work...

Dear Parents/Guardians,

I am writing to inform you that I received word this morning that the spouse of a teacher at Gloucester High School, at the direction of his/her company, has been asked to work from home this week. That request was made in an abundance of caution amid evolving COVID-19 concerns throughout the state. We felt, as a precautionary measure, we needed to ask our employee to stay home as well.

Proper protocol was immediately followed and an investigation took place. The Gloucester Health Department contacted health officials in the town where the individual and our employee reside so that those health officials may follow up on any other details. It was determined that there is no current threat of an exposure to COVID-19.

Our employee has met with his/her primary care physician and he/she has been told that it is okay to return to work and will do so tomorrow, Tuesday, March 10.

The School Department is working closely and in conjunction with the Gloucester Health Department on proper planning and preparedness efforts. Rest assured, that should any threshold be met, we are prepared to take the necessary steps to temporarily close a school and disinfect.

I will follow up this week with more information about the district’s preparedness to address the coronavirus situation.

Be well,

Richard Safier, Superintendent

Top Bottom