• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

(CLOSED)Looking for Volunteers (50 cal ammo cans) Free stuff

Installed over the weekend. Well constructed, does a great job.

FWIW - when I installed mine, I started with a 7/16" bit and held to the top of the hole in the handle of the can. I then went in and opened up to 1/2". Made for perfect clearance when closing latch over pin.

Mine came in on Saturday. Haven't had a chance to put them in yet, but the design is a huge improvement on the ones that I've used before. Having the threaded part be the part that the lock goes on means that it is more secure than the designs where the lock stud is screwed onto a bolt and locktited on. I was really pleased to see that, glad you are going to be putting these into production (especially in stainless steel).

Last edited:
I sent you two didn't I?

Yes you did, the problem is that the drill bit broke half way though the second one (cheap bits). I need to grab a new one to finish up the other side. But the 'proof of concept' works for the side that I got in.

BTW, anyone have any suggestions on decent metal cutting bits?

http://www.mscdirect.com/

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Best thing you can do is either pre drill it will a smaller drill or take it nice and easy.
If you force it, it will grab the sheetmetal when it breaks through.

I was pre drilling, but it was my smaller bit that broke when the box shifted :) After I got it opened up I just ground out a little at a time to get the first one to the right size.

Maybe I should just get a mill and be done with it :)

I'll bump this up with an update of my successful install.

tH5PskY.jpg

The install couldn't have been easier. I'm actually surprised that it was so easy to drill through the seam on this box from Cabela's.

yGjPsx6.jpg

The threads were clean, very nice hardware.

JAVTbiu.jpg

It looks like the rubber washer will hold up well.

RO8ElPL.jpg

DI6ka76.jpg

When comparing this to a few other similar locks I like that this installs from the rear, is threaded for a tight fit, and has a smooth rear- sort of a mix of the best features from the others I've seen from online stores. Fits the Masterlock 130 / 131 series locks perfectly. Overall a cool product and a big thanks to Buggin for offering these up for us!

I'll bump this up with an update of my successful install.

tH5PskY.jpg

The install couldn't have been easier. I'm actually surprised that it was so easy to drill through the seam on this box from Cabela's.

yGjPsx6.jpg

The threads were clean, very nice hardware.

JAVTbiu.jpg

It looks like the rubber washer will hold up well.

RO8ElPL.jpg

DI6ka76.jpg

When comparing this to a few other similar locks I like that this installs from the rear, is threaded for a tight fit, and has a smooth rear- sort of a mix of the best features from the others I've seen from online stores. Fits the Masterlock 130 / 131 series locks perfectly. Overall a cool product and a big thanks to Buggin for offering these up for us!
Thanks snora. Good review and great pics.
so has every that hasn't already spoken up received theirs?

I'm thinking these would be ideal for any movement of Arms and Ammunition only conditional on whether the Firearm would fit in a can or not. Certainly most handguns would easily fit in the 50 can. And where laws insist on having firearms and ammunition separate during transport, perfect. Great idea.

I got mine - very nice. Would work on the 40mm cans I have, with two of them and take up no space inside, unlike the u-bolts I used. If I were installing a bunch of them on 50 cans, I'd want to get a transfer punch that fit the hole in the latch to make drilling in the right spot easier.

Great part, looking forward to see them on sale.

OK, I'll assume everyone got theirs. Thanks to all that installed and reviewed them.
I'll be putting them up for sale sometime this week. I want to get to the PO to set up an account to
get the shipping down.
The price is 8.00 for green members and 10.00 for non.
Shipping to be determined.

Thanks again everyone!

OK, I'll assume everyone got theirs. Thanks to all that installed and reviewed them.
I'll be putting them up for sale sometime this week. I want to get to the PO to set up an account to
get the shipping down.
The price is 8.00 for green members and 10.00 for non.
Shipping to be determined.

Thanks again everyone!

Any volume discounts? I've got like 12 cans I wouldn't mind sticking this thing on. Obviously could grow to more.
Thanks!
-Nick

Apologies. I got mine in a timely manner. Great looking product. I immediately installed them on two 50 cal cans, put some stuff in them, and buried them near the back door. That was about a month ago. I just unearthed them today. No water damage inside. Great product, and thank you for the opportunity to try them.

Any volume discounts? I've got like 12 cans I wouldn't mind sticking this thing on. Obviously could grow to more.
Thanks!
-Nick

Hmm, how about free shipping on over ten?

Apologies. I got mine in a timely manner. Great looking product. I immediately installed them on two 50 cal cans, put some stuff in them, and buried them near the back door. That was about a month ago. I just unearthed them today. No water damage inside. Great product, and thank you for the opportunity to try them.

Wow! That's a serious test right there. Thanks.
Folks may want to add a bead of silicone around the washer for that extreme of use. Just as a precaution.

Back
Top Bottom