• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clinton replacement to be Pro-Gun!!!

New York Gov. David Paterson is shaping up to be the 2A's best friend this year. After rescuing the pheasant operation a few weeks ago, and passing pro 2A youth hunting legislation, this is beyond anything one would expect. McCarthy will be ballistic!

Reports: Gillibrand will replace Clinton in Senate
Multiple news outlets are now reporting that, with Caroline Kennedy out of contention, New York Gov. David Paterson will announce Friday that he's appointing Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand to fill Hillary Clinton's vacant Senate seat.

This doesn't appear to be an absolutely sure thing -- some of the state's bigger outlets, including New York City's three major daily papers, haven't yet said Gillibrand is the choice, and much of the reporting is of the "signs point to" nature. But the chatter among the state's Democrats, including members of the state's congressional delegation who were reportedly briefed on the decision and rival contenders for the post, seems to indicate that the congresswoman will indeed be the state's next senator.

If the reports are true, then this is an interesting choice. Gillibrand is one of New York's more conservative Democrats, and considering the deep blue shade of statewide politics here, moderation wasn't really a necessary qualification for the pick. Moreover, Gillibrand's strong pro-gun stance has fellow Democratic Rep. Carolyn McCarthy -- whose husband was one of those murdered in an infamous 1993 attack on the Long Island Rail Road -- promising a primary challenge in 2010.

Some links for more info:
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2009/01/the_new_frontru.php
http://www.rollcall.com/news/31669-1.html?type=printer_friendly
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=762658
http://www.wpix.com/landing/?PIX11-EXCLUSIVE-Governor-Picks-Upstate-C=1&blockID=193155&feedID=1404

Ironically, Chuck Schumer, who defeated D'Amato in 1998, is said to be Gillibrand's top Democratic champion. What's even more ironic is that Gillibrand has a one hundred percent rating from the National Rifle Association, and Schumer made his own national reputation as a sponsor of the assault weapons ban and a fierce proponent of Brady bill and other gun control legislation. Gillibrand even opposes any limitations on the sale of semiautomatic weapons or "cop-killer" bullets that can pierce armored vests. Schumer's other signature issue is the care and feeding of Wall Street, and Gillibrand voted against both of the Schumer-supported financial service bailout bills last fall, which have delivered billions to New York, salvaging institutions like Citigroup. An editorial in Crain's, the city's premier business news magazine, said recently that Gillibrand "should be disqualified" from seeking the senate seat "by her politically expedient vote" against the bailout.

Last edited:
As the quote says "A democrat is a republican that has not been a victim of violence" well something like that. I guess it holds true.

This is great news.

Not all Democrats are gun grabbers. I think Bill Richardson is a big gun guy too.

I guess in the next 2-4 years we'll see if any of the non-gun grabbing Democrats have enough strength of their convictions to stand up to the grabbers - Pelosi, Schumer, Boxer et al. Some how I think they're party members first and the rest of us can go straight to [devil2]

NRA Endorsed candidate to get Hillary's seat

New York Gov. Paterson to Name Rep. Gillibrand to Clinton's Former U.S. Senate Seat

New York Gov. David Paterson will name Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand, an upstate Democrat, to replace Hillary Clinton in the U.S. Senate, a Democratic official with knowledge of the governor's decision told FOX News on Thursday night.

Gillibrand, elected in 2006, represents the state's 20th congressional district in the U.S. House of Representatives. She is the first Democrat to represent the district since 1978 -- and the first female representative of the district.

Paterson is scheduled to formally announce his pick Friday.

"I'm honored just to be considered," Gillibrand told FOX News earlier Thursday.

But some New York City Democrats are skeptical of Gillibrand, who voted against the financial rescue package last fall. And the National Rifle Association has endorsed Gillibrand -- another cause for concern among some Democrats.

In defense of the endorsement, Gillibrand told FOX News that she come from a "hunting family" and "wants to support hunter's rights."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...paterson-rep-gillibrand-clintons-senate-seat/

She represents a VERY Conservative upstate Congressional district. Any anti-gun statements or actions would have sunk her campaign.

Is her pro-gun stance based on deeply held beliefs or political expediency?

Will she continue to be pro-gun when she has to wage a statewide campaign?

Will she vote pro-gun when her party leaders demand she vote anti?

I ain't holding my breath.

Regards
John

I, like many natives of Upstate New York, grew up in a hunting family and own a gun. I learned at an early age how to safely handle a gun and I believe that every law-abiding citizen should always have the right to own arms.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution prohibits the federal government from denying law-abiding citizens the right to keep and bear arms. And I intend to uphold this right through my votes and actions in Congress.

In September of 2007, I introduced a resolution to make Hunting and Fishing Day - the 4th Saturday in September - a nationally recognized holiday. I have also cosponsored a resolution to recognize hunters for their continued commitment to safety.

In Congress I have also sponsored measures to protect and open up more federal land for conservation programs that will promote and allow hunters and fishermen to enjoy their passion for the outdoors.

However, I also believe that we must do more to enforce of current laws to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and persons with violent mental instability. Keeping our streets and communities safe is important to all of us, and lawbreakers need to know that they will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law if they illegally seek to own or possess weapons.

That is why I supported the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Improvement Act (HR 2640) to provide incentives to states to update the Brady background check system to ensure that current laws are upheld as efficiently as possible. This was a common sense - bipartisan bill that was supported by the National Rifle Association (NRA) and The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

From Rep. Gillibrand own webiste

And she gets an A from NRA and C from GOA. Also very interesting in how they just throw F's at a lot of people. Reid may NOT be a rabid pro-gunner but he HAS voted Pro-2A at times, especially in regards to AWB I and even voted against AWB re-authorization bill. The big test will be AWB II IF it goes that far.

Last edited:
If both Patterson and Schumer are fans while it the same time being very different politically then she must be pretty special. Sounds like NY made the right decision.

I'm sooooooooooo freaking happy that Princess Caroline didn't get it. Yet another "I'm entitled" Kennedy goes down in flames. [smile]

Agreed. I can't stand legacy pols. That whole ruling-class mentality BS. We don't do birthright in America - or at least we shouldn't.

Comment left.

I applaud Governor Paterson’s effort to nominate Ms. Gillibrand to the United State Senate.

Gun rights are an integral part of our civil rights framework. Obviously the notion that the United States was predicated on the notion of free people being able to lawfully defend themselves is lost on simple-minded folk like Representative McCarthy.

While I am initially pleased with Gillibrand's record as a conservative democrat, I'm very curious to see if she'll have the fortitude to stick to her guns, so to speak, in the Senate.

Will she actually vote against something Harry Reid commands? She voted against Bush's TARP bailout as a Representative; will she vote against Obama's obscene "stimulus" plan? Would she vote against an Obama-backed AWB bill?

McCarthy

More anti NRA blather from the NY Times

With Kennedy Out, N.R.A. Becomes Issue
F#$% her. I hate her. Her husband is gunned down by some wacko on a train and she wants to disarm law abiding citizens. Doesn`t she ever think that if her husband or some other passenger on that train was armed that a lot of innocent people today would be alive? The sheeple mentality is alive and well.

More from NY papers. Looks like even Schumer is marginalizing McCarthy.
http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/longisland/ny-pocaro236009107jan23,0,5071719.story

About 1/2 way through. He tells her to give Kirsten Gillibrand a chance. Granted, that could be because he expects her to flip, but then if dems expected her to flip, Patterson would not be appointing her. Also, the head of the NC democratic party is even marginalizing her.

I love it. This is possibly the best sign that for most of the main stream democrats, guns are a secondary issue at best - and that's GREAT for us. McCarthy's a single-issue pol at best and a guy like Schumer knows she would NOT serve NY well in the senate.

I just hear the news conference announcing here selection. I was a extremely uncomfortable with her comments on "working with" McCarthy to fix gun laws. I really don't know anything about her, but the fact is that all it takes to be endorsed by the NRA is to not be openly and rabidly anti-gun and have a good chance of winning your election. I remain hopeful, but cautiously so.

Ken

I just hear the news conference announcing here selection. I was a extremely uncomfortable with her comments on "working with" McCarthy to fix gun laws. I really don't know anything about her, but the fact is that all it takes to be endorsed by the NRA is to not be openly and rabidly anti-gun and have a good chance of winning your election. I remain hopeful, but cautiously so.

Ken

That's a very open statement. I think America's gun laws need fixing too. We need new class 3 registrations back, we need uniformity across states, we need to remove the threat of an AWB and we need a national CCW... [smile]

YAU (yet another update)
Liberal reactions to Gillibrand selection
The Guardian's Mike Tomasky, with what may be a Freudian slip ("man years" instead "many years"), is a bit puzzled:

She's an odd choice. Two years in Congress, against all those members of the state's House of Representatives Democratic delegation with man [sic] years experience? In these cases, one smell test that ought to be passed is that a governor should be able to say "X was the best person for the job" with at least some degree of plausibility. I don't think Paterson can do that here. Even Blago could say that about Roland Burris, kinda-sorta. She was an obviously political choice: woman and upstater. Those are fair considerations of course, but when it's this obvious, it invites trouble.

Open Left's Debra Cooper mentions Gillibrand's "no" vote on TARP funding:

[She] voted against the initial TARP funds. She said, without pausing to breathe, that there should be more oversight passed by the Senate. She supported [Barney] Frank's bill and thought the letter from Summers was strong but in addition wanted "regulations of derivatives and credit defaults swaps added, and a better accounting of the banks receiving the funds"

Jason Rosenbaum at The Sentinel reflects the general consensus from the left that Gillibrand, though conservative on some issues, is more liberal than her district and, ultimately, a better choice than Caroline Kennedy:

Gillibrand is better [than Kennedy], I guess. But she’s been wrong on FISA. Wrong on Free Choice. Wrong on immigration. Wrong on gay marriage. But, she does hail from one of the most conservative congressional districts in New York, and word is she’s more progressive than she lets on. And she’s a woman (which I guess is fitting) and she’s a great fundraiser. Here’s hoping she’ll represent the entire state of New York - which means being a significantly more liberal Senator than she was a Representative.

Over at Booman Tribune, Martin Longman writes:

To be fair, Gillibrand isn't all that bad . . . her voting record is fairly moderate . . . Just because someone is part of the Blue Dog caucus doesn't mean that they vote like a southern Blue Dog. Gillibrand is going to vote a lot like Clinton did and a lot like Schumer does. And that's not all the bad.

The problem is not that Gillibrand is terrible but that we just lost an excellent chance to expand the progressive caucus in the Senate. We've been doing well lately with Bernie Sanders and Sherrod Brown two years ago and Tom Udall, Jeff Merkley, and Al Franken this time around. We could have benefited greatly from either Caroline Kennedy or Jerry Nadler. I'll never fully understand why the progressive blogosphere went apeshit about the possibility of another Senator Kennedy.

Gillibrand is a woman and from Upstate, both considered positives in terms of her winning and keeping the seat for some time, as the Senate Guru notes:

Overall, this is a very strong pick. Gillibrand has Congressional experience, is a strong fundraiser, further strengthens Democratic turnout in upstate counties, is young enough (age 42) to hold the seat for a long time, and has a moderate enough reputation to box out a moderate Republican from gaining traction on an electoral challenge. The downsides are the prospect of a divisive primary challenge giving a Republican candidacy political breathing room and the difficulty of holding her House seat in a special election.

The Politico's Ben Smith takes a different spin, noting what the selection means for Gillibrand's selector, New York Gov. David Patterson:

The loser, of course, is Paterson, whose strong choice is overshadowed by a process that deeply alienated one of America's most powerful political families, humiliated a friend of the president of the United States, and generally appeared utterly, needlessly chaotic -- at a time when the accidental governor is struggling to demonstrate that he has a firm grip on his power and can stand up to a powerful legislature. When the headline is "Blago Did Better," you know you have a problem.

This sounds too good to be true. I'm going to adopt a wait and see attitude before I start rejoicing. Gov Weld was considered pro-gun too (even got an A rating from the NRA once) and then he turned to Mr. Hyde.

Okay folks, listen up:

" Gillibrand said she would support gun control "but also protect our hunters' rights."

That's about as pro-gun as barry obama.

Not to rain on anyones parade or anything. But what the shit does the 2A have to do with hunting? And can anyone point me to what rights hunters have that are protected by our constitution? The first thing that tells me that someone is not pro-gun is that in questioning their views on gun control they mention the following words:

Hunting
hunters
Sporting
sportsman
Reasonable
Compromise
Restriction
target
"need"
children
streets
etc.

Last edited:
If shes pro-gun that a bonus. The way I look at is, she ain't a Kennedy. It's about time that this gaggle of asses (Kennedy family) just fade away and radiate.

Let's remember that not all Democrats are anti-gun or all Republicans are on our side. Jane Swift was a GOAL poster child when she was a legislator but what happened when she was the gov? What did Mitt Romney do for us when he was the gov?

I agree that we need to take a "wait and see" attitude. It's good to see, too that the Kennedy mystique has faded a bit.

Mark L.

Just like how not all Republicans are pro-gun. In fact, many of them are currently trying to pass gun control legislation.

Yes. I know of a few Republicans and Republican-leaning centrists who are ardent anti-gunners.

Most of the conversations I had with them include the typical, generic, hoplophobic, inanimate-object-fearing bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom