1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Climate Alarmists Have Been Wrong About Virtually Everything

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mibro, Jun 4, 2017.

1. mibro

mibro NES Member

I've been convinced for a while that apparent "global warming" was at least in part an artifact of the UHIE (Urban Heat Island Effect) and the rapid urbanization of the late 20th Century.

Now, finally, some real science on the effect of siting of weather stations on the surface temperature record and - drum roll - NOAA has discovered exactly that.

Impacts of Small-Scale Urban Encroachment on Air Temperature Observations

More analysis here:

BIG NEWS – Verified by NOAA – poor weather station siting leads to artificial long term warming

2. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Yes. You can also get hotter and more dry large areas of land by cutting down all the forests and doing something stupid like farm palm to produce biofuel. It literally rains less when they do this. Turn lush tropical forests into a desert, in order to save the earth from turning into a desert. Brilliant!

mibro, jpk and Choctaw like this.
  3. mibro

mibro NES Member

Glacier National Park Quietly Removes Its ‘Gone by 2020’ Signs

"Officials at Glacier National Park (GNP) have begun quietly removing and altering signs and government literature which told visitors that the Park’s glaciers were all expected to disappear by either 2020 or 2030.
    In recent years the National Park Service prominently featured brochures, signs and films which boldly proclaimed that all glaciers at GNP were melting away rapidly. But now officials at GNP seem to be scrambling to hide or replace their previous hysterical claims while avoiding any notice to the public that the claims were inaccurate. Teams from Lysander Spooner University visiting the Park each September have noted that GNP’s most famous glaciers such as the Grinnell Glacier and the Jackson Glacier appear to have been growing—not shrinking—since about 2010. (The Jackson Glacier—easily seen from the Going-To-The-Sun Highway—may have grown as much as 25% or more over the past decade.)"

How inconvenient.

4. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

An inconvenient truth? Oh well, it was fun watching everyone blast Al and this turned into a very informative thread because of it. The irony that Al through his insanity might have educated himself and others!

5. Mark L

Mark L

Haven't read this thread, but have recently been talking with a SJW who's convinced we're at a critical point, believes that we're doomed unless we change lanes immediately. He's a smart guy, and not at all being a dick, but really only has anecdotal evidence to support his claims.

i'd like to catch up on having some academically rigorous and reviewed opinions and data. But, I'm lazy, so i'd ask that if this thread un-veiled some legit sources, either for or against man-made climate change, please point them out to me.

6. mibro

mibro NES Member

Legit sources. Yes. That is the heart of the problem. One man's legit source is another man's propaganda.

Howevah. The one number to rule them all is the CLIMATE SENSITIVITY. That is the [calculated/estimated/projected] average global temperature increase in degrees Celsius per doubling of atmospheric CO2 concentration.

The initial sciency estimates of the climate sensitivity twenty years ago were full-on hysteria. Three. Four. Five, ermagerd.

By 2015 even "legit" climate scientologists were down to about two (i.e. 2 Celsius per CO2 doubling).

More recent research has climate sensitivity estimates trending towards zero which imho is pretty close to where we will end up.

[​IMG]

Fritz the Cat likes this.
  7. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Sensitive New Age Climates?

8. Lowbird

Lowbird NES Member

9. brain_8972

brain_8972 NES Member

I hate that kid and her handlers.

knoxy and mibro like this.
  10. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

Cheap or free energy would be awesome. Bloomberg donating 500 million dollars to shut down the coal industry so that we can have clean energy is like saying we should destroy all automobiles and then try to build an energy efficient one.

Surely they have considered that you need an energy source to power the manufacturing plants to build any emerging technology energy replacement.

11. whalerman69

whalerman69 NES Member

12. Win

Win NES Member

mibro likes this.
  13. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

14. jct61765

jct61765 NES Member

I don't think they've considered anything. All they want is what their handlers propaganda tells them they want. Most of the libs don't think on their own. It seems like a hive mentality. When electricity doubles or triples, and their parents throw them out they may start worrying. When they have to start paying for their own stuff it will be to late.

Choctaw and mibro like this.
  15. mibro

mibro NES Member

This is the state of 21st century climate "science."

This little scheme was the second prize winner in an international competition organized by the Association of Siamese Architects.

People actually get paid to do this, my God.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w64V3R57aE

16. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

all you naysayers.
    Did you not hear it was all Settled Science!

17. white feather

white feather NES Member

The Coming Ice Age | Harper's Magazine - Part 3
    July 28, 2019
    THIS is the story of two scientists, who started five years ago — with a single radiocarbon clue from the ocean bottom and a wild hunch — to track down one of the earth’s great unsolved mysteries: What caused the ancient ice ages? Their search led over many continents and seas, to drowned rivers and abandoned mountain caves, into far-removed branches of science. It took them down through recorded history, from the stone tablets of primitive man to contemporary newspaper headlines.
    These two serious, careful scientists — geophysicist Maurice Ewing, director of Columbia University’s Lamont Geological Observatory, and geologist-meteorologist William Donn believe they have finally found the explanation for the giant glaciers, which four times during the past million years have advanced and retreated over the earth. If they are right, the world is now heading into another Ice Age.
    [party]
    It will come not as sudden catastrophe, but as the inevitable culmination of a process that has already begun in northern oceans...
    ... NEITHER Ewing nor Donn can say precisely when the hunch came. The problem continued to tantalize them, as they traveled about the country attending meetings and doing field work. On the way back from Chicago, they may have watched the ice break up in the Delaware River. They recall reading a newspaper item about a big gambling jackpot on which day the ice would go out in the Yukon. The chain of thought seems obvious now: water freezing — ice going out — this is a sharp, abrupt change, the only sudden change that can happen to a body of water.

But oceans don’t freeze. Ocean currents dissipate the cold — except, of course, in the small Arctic Ocean which is almost entirely surrounded by land.

“What would happen if the ice went out of the Arctic Ocean as it does in the Yukon or the Delaware?” Ewing and Donn remember wondering, as they went over the problem again, one day at Lamont.
    “Well, we figured, the Arctic Ocean would get warmer. Because water would flow more freely between it and the Atlantic, dissipating the cold. And of course, the Atlantic Ocean would get colder. But wait a minute . . . we saw it simultaneously. If the Arctic Ocean were open water, warmed by the Atlantic, warmer than the land around it, water would evaporate and fall as snow on the land. More snow on Greenland and northern Canada would make glaciers grow. Glaciers don’t grow now because there is no open water in the Arctic to provide the moisture for snow.

“And suddenly we had the startling hunch that the Arctic Ocean was open during the Ice Age. And that it froze over only 11,000 years ago. It was this freezing over of the Arctic Ocean which so suddenly warmed the Atlantic — and ended the Ice Age.”

18. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

So they basically want to begin terraforming the planet.

Do they not know how this worked out for the Venusians?

Idiots...

knoxy likes this.
  19. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It also used to be settled science that the universe orbited the earth. They even shunned, excommunicated and killed people who disagreed.

People have forgotten what science means. Today, they do a survey and find most scientists think such and such, therefore it's settled! Percentage of people with an opinion is not science.... it's the exact opposite of science. It requires things like hypothesis, and evidence found to back it up, experiments to try to confirm it, peer reviews of what you did, etc. Granted, this type of stuff is difficult with the subject matter at hand due to the length of time involved, but it is what it is.

Jason Flare and xtry51 like this.
  20. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I'm still amazed that people out there actually think something like this is good to ponder doing. If someone wanted to re-ice the poles to whatever level they think is "correct", the amount of resources and effort by humans to do so would far exceed the productive output of the entire world. Building ice bergs is even more retarded than other ideas I've heard from them, like atmospheric scrubbers to pull the CO2 back out. (We already have that... it's called plants.)

21. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

And the plants keep getting cut down to install solar fields. That's going "green" for ya.

exodious and Prepper like this.
  22. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

Here is a thought about climate change. (bear with me, I've had a few)
    What is the biggest problem the planet faces, in general? Consumption.
    Consumption of fossil fuels, consumption of fresh water esp from the aquafir, consumption of renewables at a rate that is faster than regeneration. I may or may not agree with these points, but they are the current talking points.
    What is the easiest way to reduce consumption? Reduce consumers.
    In other words, STOP PROCREATING!

TurdFerguson, namedpipes and hminsky like this.
  23. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

Exactly, the real problem is too many people.

The discussion nobody dares have is how many people should there be on Earth?

I say 300 million is plenty.

7 billion is NOT ok.

24. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

The trick is, me and mine must be among the 300 million, obviously (yes, peeps, that includes my extended NES family, even as odd as some of you are).

So, who decides?

25. mg42doc

mg42doc

I'm all for a "Cash for Sterilization" program....

it'd be tough to top Welfare payouts though. Maybe throw in a few free months of HBO or Netflix to sweeten the deal.

Prepper and Fritz the Cat like this.
  26. mibro

mibro NES Member

I imagine someone is working on it.

However, even if no-one is working on it it is ultimately a self-correcting problem, I think.

Sweeney likes this.
  27. mibro

mibro NES Member

Answer - the first person/group/nation with the means and the balls to do the job.

If I had to put a stake in the ground I'd say maybe the Chinese. But that's probably racist.

And just to throw in a reality check there's more biomass of termites on Earth than of humans. Termites produce more CO2 too. Who's going to whack the termites?

28. exodious

exodious

The kind of people who might even care a little bit about any real or imagined* overpopulation concerns are already breeding below replacement rates.

*I am highly skeptical of these kind of overpopulation arguments because most of the time it’s said by elite leftist douchebags who want to reduce numbers by the most despicable ways possible.

Fritz the Cat and Jason Flare like this.
  29. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It's funny, the left claim to be greatly concerned about overpopulation. But, they only direct their concern at western civilization which is already on a downward trend regarding population replacement, what 1.7 kids per couple now? My wife and I personally, our count is zero. So, we're doing our part but are still the bad guys.

Meanwhile, they support doing things that bring massive amounts of third world illegals into the country who have no issue with making 10+ children per couple. And, they want to fund their child making with welfare. (What you subsidize, you get more of.) And, for those that never make it here, they want to send resources from the US all over the world to help them reproduce more. If they left it all alone, those populations would naturally max out and stop growing once their local environment can't support any more of them.

30. jpk

jpk

There are a lot of lefties out there that are lacking in the upper brain function dept.......

Prepper likes this.