• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cliff Notes version of RI gun laws needed

I read through many of the posts here, and looked elsewhere. I'm looking for the short, dumbed-down version of RI laws for residents of RI. A friend of mine is thinking of a move there in the very near future from the Commonwealth of MA.

I get that a permit is necessary for concealed carry of a pistol or revolver.

Is there any RI version of the MA AWB? Or a list (or two) of approved firearms one many purchase? How about moving to the state with firearms (not that my friend has any).

Last edited:
Is there any RI version of the MA AWB? Or a list (or two) of approved firearms one many purchase?
NOT a comprehensive overview, but a few points:

No RI AWB or approved list.

Three types of licenses:

Blue Card - obtained from dealer, good for purchase ONLY, not carry

AG issued carry permit - may issue; does not bypass waiting period; good for open or concealed carry

Town issued carry permit - shall issue (in theory only, not in practice); bypassed waiting period; concealed carry only

NOT a comprehensive overview, but a few points:

No RI AWB or approved list.

Three types of licenses:

Blue Card - obtained from dealer, good for purchase ONLY, not carry

AG issued carry permit - may issue; does not bypass waiting period; good for open or concealed carry

Town issued carry permit - shall issue (in theory only, not in practice); bypassed waiting period; concealed carry only

Thank you so much! What's the wisdom in RI, go through the AG for the license? The waiting period is not a big deal for me.

Also, it sounds like the words like "preban" aren't in the vocab down there? I can't wait to have a bayonet lug!

Given RI is sandwiched between MA and CT, there must be some goofiness with the laws.

You can find the RI Firearms Statues here: CHAPTER 11-4 Weapons

It's fairly easy to read and comprehend. Most of the "gotchas" in RI law relate to handgun transport. There is no license or permit needed to own either long guns or handguns. The blue card is only needed for purchase of a handgun from a FFL (not needed for long guns). However, if you do not have a concealed carry permit, you are limited to transporting handguns only between your home and the range, or a very few other limited destinations [§ 11-47-8 (a)].

As Rob pointed out, there are very few limitations on what you can buy and possess. Suppressors are not allowed, but there are no AWBs or magazine size limits.

As far as the concealed carry, many local police departments will refer you to the AG to issue under § 11-47-18. However, the AG is very stingy about issuing permits, and seldom issues unrestricted permits. Because they are "may issue", you don't have much recourse if they stiff you. You are much more likely to get an unrestricted permit from the locals under § 11-47-11. As in Mass, it varies among towns, some are easy, some will give you a hard time. A recent court decision in Gadomski v Tavares reinforced the requirement of the towns to issue ("shall issue"), but of course not all towns are on the bandwagon yet. Quite a few people have been initially put off, but when they were persistent, received town permits from some of these B.S. police chiefs.

You will find more information, including references to litigation on www.rifol.org.

Last edited:
However, the AG is very stingy about issuing permits, and seldom issues unrestricted permits.
An unrestricted AG permit will require a specific reason, not an essay about a general fear of crime that could apply to everyone. Thing employment; independent business owner; renowned publisher of Mohammed drawings; etc.

A good source is info is www.cralri.com

Is there any RI version of the MA AWB? Or a list (or two) of approved firearms one many purchase? How about moving to the state with firearms (not that my friend has any).
[rofl]

Sorry, couldn't resist. The only firearms you can't have are NFA Class 3 (SBR's, supressors and SBS's)

keeping "preban" configured firearms would only apply if you went into MA to shoot (with a non-res LTC). If you stayed in RI and shot in a RI, enjoy your flash hider and bayo lug.
BTW, what town?

- - - Updated - - -

Given RI is sandwiched between MA and CT, there must be some goofiness with the laws.

The only goofieness is that CLEO's don't follow the law and they need to be sued to issue permits

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom