• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CLEO's role for a Form 1?

Mass-diver

NES Member
I would like to build a AOW (G17 with a vertical grip)

I read a few great threads on NES that were very helpful. It's my understanding that I need to request a Form 1 from the ATF. I understand that my CLEO has to fill out part of the paper work. I know lots of you guys have waded through the forms, so I was wondering what exactly does it ask the CLEO?

Is it the role of CLEO to approve the weapon or just to provide background info on me? I have a class A with no restrictions, but I know my chief would not approve a AOW if that's his role, but if he just had to sign off that I had permit and passed all the requirments that might be a different story.

Sorry if the question is not clear, but any help/direction would be appreciated.

I would like to build a AOW (G17 with a vertical grip)

I read a few great threads on NES that were very helpful. It's my understanding that I need to request a Form 1 from the ATF. I understand that my CLEO has to fill out part of the paper work. I know lots of you guys have waded through the forms, so I was wondering what exactly does it ask the CLEO?

Is it the role of CLEO to approve the weapon or just to provide background info on me? I have a class A with no restrictions, but I know my chief would not approve a AOW if that's his role, but if he just had to sign off that I had permit and passed all the requirments that might be a different story.

Sorry if the question is not clear, but any help/direction would be appreciated.

The absolute minimum that the CLEO needs to do it sign and write his name and title. When you fill out the Form 1, you should fill out as much as possible, including the Department's address and county.

The exact text they are filling in is

I certify that I am the chief law enforcement officer of the organization named below having jurisdiction in the area of residence of (Name of Maker) I have no information indicating that the maker will use the firearm or device described on this application for other than lawful purposes. I have no information that Possession of the Firearm described in item 4 on the Front of this Form would place the maker in Violation of State or Local Law.

But the real question is why are you Form 1ing a AOW? To make any NFA item costs $200, the AOW price advantage is on transfers.

I would do one of two things. Option One, find a local, friendly 07 FFL to register the AOW, and then transfer it to you. This way you only have to pay $5 for the transfer.

Option Two, register the gun as a SBR. That way you can put a stock on it too... [smile]

--EasyD

Last edited:
Form a trust or corporation if you are going to do a Form 1 and bypass the CLEO.

The CLEO's signature verifies that you will not be breaking any laws by possessing the firearm and that there's no reason to believe you'll use it unlawfully.

The absolute minimum that the CLEO needs to do it sign and write his name and title. When you fill out the Form 1, you should fill out as much as possible, including the Department's address and county.

The exact text they are filling in is

But the real question is why are you Form 1ing a AOW? To make any NFA item costs $200, the AOW price advantage is on transfers.

I would do one of two things. Option One, find a local, friendly 07 FFL to register the AOW, and then transfer it to you. This way you only have to pay $5 for the transfer.

Option Two, register the gun as a SBR. That way you can put a stock on it too... [smile]

--EasyD

Thanks Guys. I put in a request for the forms on the ATF site, but I'm concerned that my ant-gun chief won't go along.

What I want is a G17 with a vertical grip. It's my understanding that this should be an AOW - not an SBR - as I don't want a stock on it.

Maybe I'll see if an FFl will do it for me if I buy the pistol off them (for less than the $200)? I'm not going to buy the Glock until the end of the August. I'm just trying to do my research.

Thanks Guys. I put in a request for the forms on the ATF site, but I'm concerned that my ant-gun chief won't go along.

What I want is a G17 with a vertical grip. It's my understanding that this should be an AOW - not an SBR - as I don't want a stock on it.

Maybe I'll see if an FFl will do it for me if I buy the pistol off them (for less than the $200)? I'm not going to buy the Glock until the end of the August. I'm just trying to do my research.

If you have a chief that won't sign, you'll have to do a trust.

If you're sure all you want is the vert grip, then AOW is right. Just keep in mind that if you want to add a stock later, its gonna cost another $200 in tax.

Finding a FFL to register the item might not be too easy, but there are some out there.

--EasyD

vertical grip = AOW which is a $5.00 stamp tax
Stock on pistol = SBR which is a $200 stamp tax

vertical grip = AOW which is a $5.00 stamp tax
Stock on pistol = SBR which is a $200 stamp tax

$5.00 is for AOW transfers. Manufacturing any NFA item as an individual costs $200.

SBR from a pistol can have both an additional pistol grip and a stock. AOW can't have the stock.

--EasyD

EasyD- with all due respects.. You are wrong. To register/create an AOW the tax from the ATF is $5.00

EasyD- with all due respects.. You are wrong. To register/create an AOW the tax from the ATF is $5.00

HAHA... The exact text from the Form 1 is:

Tax Paid. Submit with your application a check or money order for $200 made payable to the Department of the Justice. Upon approval of the application, this office will acquire, affix, and cancel the required "National Firearms Act" stamp for you.

The exact text from the Form 1 instructions:

As provided in 26 U.S.C. § 5821, there is a $200.00 tax on each firearm made, except as provided in 26 U.S.C. §§ 5852 and 5853, when an NFA firearm may be made without payment of the tax when made by, or on behalf of the United States or any State or political subdivision thereof. Documentation that the firearm is being made for a government entity, such as a United States government contract or a State or local government agency purchase order, must accompany the application. The reactivation of a registered unservicable firearm is subject to the making tax.

And the exact text of 26 USC 5821:

(a) Rate
There shall be levied, collected, and paid upon the making of a
firearm a tax at the rate of $200 for each firearm made.
(b) By whom paid
The tax imposed by subsection (a) of this section shall be paid
by the person making the firearm.
(c) Payment
The tax imposed by subsection (a) of this section shall be
payable by the stamp prescribed for payment by the Secretary.

It just makes you look like an idiot when you throw phrases around like "with all due respect" and are wrong.

--EasyD

Last edited:
ok, you win.... I was wrong.[thinking]

There is a first time for everything I guess....... [smile]

Back
Top Bottom