• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CLEO signature on Form 4 no longer required

I missed this so I'm sure some others have also. ATF rules a CLEO's signature is no longer required on a Form 4. I searched so if this is a dupe, my bad.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/chi...n-law-enforcement-certification-atf-form-1-or

Effective July 13, 2016, the final rule “Machineguns, Destructive Devices and Certain Other Firearms; Background Checks for Responsible Persons of a Trust or Legal Entity With Respect to Making or Transferring a Firearm” amends the regulations to eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by a CLEO and instead adds a CLEO notification requirement.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...es-fingerprints-but-eliminates-cleo-sign-off/

Submitting a Form 1 as an "individual" changed as well. Pre-ATF 41F you'd have to get CLEO consent. Now you just have to give notification. Its in the ATF packet if you decide to go paper over online.

I'm patiently waiting for my stamp.

I missed this so I'm sure some others have also. ATF rules a CLEO's signature is no longer required on a Form 4. I searched so if this is a dupe, my bad.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/chi...n-law-enforcement-certification-atf-form-1-or

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...es-fingerprints-but-eliminates-cleo-sign-off/
It's been extensively discussed in the NFA forum.

For an individual, adoption of 41f eliminates a significant PITA, namely the CLEO sign-off. For trusts, LLC's, or other entities, it brings a whole set of previously-unseen hassles.

Good luck with a sbr in this state post 7/20....some shit going down about sbrs now with the AG

I'm glad I did my sbr's after Sandy Hook!
At that time it was 9 months till approval.

I feel for you guys that have paper work pending!!

The ATF form 1 doesn't even list what type of action you are using.
For all they would know your sbr application is for a bolt action.

The MA FA10 form does not even list what kind of action your AR lower receiver is registered as, as well.

I don't see how the ATF could deny your form 1 for a lower receiver.

They wouldn't even know it was an AR-15 type lower receiver.

Last edited:
Submitting a Form 1 as an "individual" changed as well. Pre-ATF 41F you'd have to get CLEO consent. Now you just have to give notification. Its in the ATF packet if you decide to go paper over online.

I'm patiently waiting for my stamp.

I have 3 in queue, first one should pop in the next 30 days, the rest will be around Christmas at this rate.

My papers were submitted about a week before the bomb hit. The day the bomb was dropped I was at a smaller FFL and mentioned it.

He told me that during the Fed ban SBRs weren't affected. I take his word with grain of salt now since everything is open to different interpretation based upon basically the weather amongst other irrelevant things.

If we're guessing around the nine month mark, mine should be March. And here I was about to do more paperwork for SBS. Smh.

I'm glad I did my sbr's after Sandy Hook!
At that time it was 9 months till approval.

I feel for you guys that have paper work pending!!

The ATF form 1 doesn't even list what type of action you are using.
For all they would know your sbr application is for a bolt action.

The MA FA10 form does not even list what kind of action your AR lower receiver is registered as, as well.

I don't see how the ATF could deny your form 1 for a lower receiver.

They wouldn't even know it was an AR-15 type lower receiver.

How do you figure? The Form 1 lists Manufacturer and Model number. Is it your contention the ATF is confused by the designation Aero Precision X-15, or Anderson Mfg AM-15, or Bushmaster XM15-E2S, or Palmetto State Armory PA-15? Think that slips past them?

My papers were submitted about a week before the bomb hit. The day the bomb was dropped I was at a smaller FFL and mentioned it.

He told me that during the Fed ban SBRs weren't affected. I take his word with grain of salt now since everything is open to different interpretation based upon basically the weather amongst other irrelevant things.

If we're guessing around the nine month mark, mine should be March. And here I was about to do more paperwork for SBS. Smh.

That is and isn't true. The federal assault weapons ban did not regulate the creation of SBRs per se, but ATF did require resulting firearms to be compliant. During the federal ban years, ATF did allow preban assault weapons to maintain their status when when SBR'ed. (NFA Branch is currently requiring certificates of possession from CT applicants for SBRs constructed from both pre and post ban firearms right now, in other words treating the exempted status as meaningless. I have intentions of doing a non-semi-auto SBR soon- it'll be interesting to see how that plays out)

Do you send a copy of the form to the CLEO before you send it off to the ATF or do u wait for it to come back?

How do you figure? The Form 1 lists Manufacturer and Model number. Is it your contention the ATF is confused by the designation Aero Precision X-15, or Anderson Mfg AM-15, or Bushmaster XM15-E2S, or Palmetto State Armory PA-15? Think that slips past them?

Any of those lowers can host a manual upper (bolt or pump).

Back
Top Bottom