• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ClearArmor 141001 Safety Ear Muffs Shooters Hearing

$15 and over 5000 good reviews. Thoughts?

http://amzn.to/2l5XWFA

813HNh8X9WL._SL1500_.jpg

914RWmsKKuL._SL1500_.jpg

"Highest NRR" made and tested in China with no listed NRR. Your lifetime of hearing is worth more than gambling on cheap garbage 'hearing protection' that isn't.

My guess is that they work fine. It's not rocket science to make over the ear/head muffs.

Now, if you want features such as electronics, gel, replaceable parts, etc, then that's a different story.

My guess is that they work fine. It's not rocket science to make over the ear/head muffs.

The one star reviews indicate the cups and foam are improperly made and not as advertised. Being cheap with safety equipment is a bad idea. $10 more gets you real 3M Peltors.

Watch out for sizing. I ordered a fleet of well made, well reviewed "adult size" muffs for classes - they were uncomfortably tight on most adults heads.

The one star reviews indicate the cups and foam are improperly made and not as advertised. Being cheap with safety equipment is a bad idea. $10 more gets you real 3M Peltors.

Personally, I've opted for either Pro Ears Gold or MSA Sordins, but I also have a cheap set from Harbor Freight that I'll use in the yard. But I used to just use cheap foamies... so I would think these would be ok. I agree, for just a few bucks more, go with something that would carry a warranty. But some times there are people who really can't go with the extra $10. In this case that nearly doubles the price.

This is exactly what I came here to post. Or I'd just recommend getting slim ones and wear foam earplugs under them.

My ears already ring like a doorbell mostly from work take my and others advice buy a known brand of headphones and if you can upgrade get a model with electronic noise suppression your ears will thank you for it.

Last edited:
My ears already ring like a doorbell mostly from work take my and others advice buy a known brand of headphones and if you can upgrade get a model with electronic noise suppression your ears will thank you for it.

Is the noise suppression electronic? I thought they were just ear muffs with an amplifier built in so you can hear.

The headphones I have are Peltor Tactical 7 or pro 7 can't remember which but they are designed to suppress sounds over a certain decibel level. Only problem is they aren't cheap figure $190 - $200 a pair

Electronic hearing/pro ears are worth every penny. Yes they cancel out noise above a certain decibel level, at the same time amplifying noise around you at lesser levels so can hear range/safety commands or your friends mocking you behind your back.

Something to keep in mind that hasn't been mentioned yet, with those 'fat' hearing pro units it's hard to get a good cheek weld with a rifle, and when you try to adjust or "force" the weld it breaks the seal off your ear enough that you'll know it immediately upon firing.

Invest in good equipment and do your research, sometimes there's a reason things cost more.

Is the noise suppression electronic? I thought they were just ear muffs with an amplifier built in so you can hear.

No, the noise suppression is not electronic. They are muffs with an external mic, amp with limiter, and internal speakers. For some reason most people have a hard time comprehending this. My favorite is "cheap electronic ear muffs don't turn off fast enough and still let noise through". Like there's some kind of physical gate that electronic muffs close.

Electronic hearing/pro ears are worth every penny. Yes they cancel out noise above a certain decibel level, at the same time amplifying noise around you at lesser levels so can hear range/safety commands or your friends mocking you behind your back.

Like this guy.

NRR is the key. I get as close to or better than 30. When in the Army I was exposed to 55mm recoilless rifle fire, over exposed actually, with only issue ear plugs for protection. I was completely deaf for about four days after and have suffered from tinnitus ever since. Needless to say, I prefer muffs over plugs.

No, the noise suppression is not electronic. They are muffs with an external mic, amp with limiter, and internal speakers. For some reason most people have a hard time comprehending this. My favorite is "cheap electronic ear muffs don't turn off fast enough and still let noise through". Like there's some kind of physical gate that electronic muffs close.

Maybe people are confusing them with Bose's active noise-cancelling?

There's no reason to spend a ton of $. I use ear plugs AND inexpensive electronic muffs. With the double protection I'm absolutely deaf to the muzzle report, but with the volume turned up I can hear range commands and hold a conversation.

22NRR muffs (flat for cheek weld) are minimum for outdoors and I'd always wear plugs underneath to get around 28-30NRR. Indoors I'd go 30NRR muffs (big ones) minimum with plugs underneath to maybe get 32NRR.

See:
http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/extra-protection-wearing-earmuffs-and-1218

The 5NRR gain over the top level OSHA states isn't quite correct because of the decreasing rate of return and the way NRR is an exponential magnitude formula. Plugs and muffs also protect differently beyond decibel reduction when it comes to frequency ranges. Using both together alters the frequency of the sound as it passes through each protective layer in a beneficial manner, but there's still a level of conduction through bone, fluid, and soft tissue which can't be stopped short of someone being in a full body suit.

Last edited:
There's no reason to spend a ton of $. I use ear plugs AND inexpensive electronic muffs. With the double protection I'm absolutely deaf to the muzzle report, but with the volume turned up I can hear range commands and hold a conversation.
I either use one or the other. Not a fan of doubling up. Ear muffs tend to make me hot for some reason so I tend to use those only when it's cool out. I mostly use the peltor combat ear plugs for indoor shooting.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom