• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning your Glock slide

To Glock owners out there. How do you clean the outside of your Glock slide? Hoppe's and a rag? Just wondering the best method tat will not shorten the life of the tenifer finish.

Tenifer is a heat treatment process, not a finish. There is no known gun solvent that will attack and harm it, as the black color is due to molecular changes in the steel itself.

To Glock owners out there. How do you clean the outside of your Glock slide? Hoppe's and a rag? Just wondering the best method tat will not shorten the life of the tenifer finish.

I just use Hoppe's cleaning solution on it or M-Pro7. Wipe it on and wipe it off. Cleans it every time and never had any issues.

You're supposed to clean your Glocks? I've got close to 10K rounds through one of mine and haven't bothered doing anything yet. I suppose if it ever starts to give me any problems I'll try cleaning it to see if that solves them.

Ken

The tenifer treatement will not be harmed by Hoppes. Tenifer is a hardening process that is colorless and is just one part of the Glock surface treatment. One caution on using Hoppes, Glock does not recommend leaving Hoppes or similar products on any of the internal parts in your pistol as the bright parts are actually nickle plated and Hoppes over time can damage Nickle parts. If it is used on the interior it need to just be wiped off. Barrel is fine, just some of the small parts need not to be left soaking in the stuff.

Tenifer is a heat treatment process
It's a bit more than that, since the treatment has both a thermal and chemical component to it. Google for "melonite" treatment for details. The black color is not the tenifer, and can wear down over time, however, that does not mean that the tenifer layer on the slide has been compromised.

It's a bit more than that, since the treatment has both a thermal and chemical component to it.
ALL steel heat treatment methods include a thermal and a chemical component. Hardening can be done in an atmosphere of various gasses depending on the raw material and desired hardness. Quenching can be done in a variety of liquids including oil and salt baths.

Tenifer and Melonite and just newer forms of carbon-rich case hardening.

Hoppes and a rag here and then one drop of oil in each rail at the rear. Stand the slide with the muzzle end down so that the oil flows down to the muzzle end. Then wipe of any excess that collects around the inside of the muzzle end. I do this while I clean the frame.

I squirt some carburetor cleaner all over the slide, scrub it with a tooth brush and give a liberal shot of compressed air. I do this religiously every 600 rounds or so.

when i got my glock i took the slide apart to inspect internals...i might have rubbed some of the crap off in the process...does that count as cleaning it? [grin]

You don't really need to "clean" the outside of the slide at all. Just wipe it down. I use a patch with a drop or two of Breakfree... then use a silicone cloth to give it a once over once it's back on the frame. Done.

Nothing's going to harm the tenifer finish.

Just be careful if you have fiber optic sights. Some of the more harsh cleaners can destroy the fiber filaments.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom