• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning your AR...What do you use

DON'T TALK ABOUT THAT!!!!!!

Regimental SgtMaj: "What did you use to clean this weapon, recruit?" (asked during Regimental Commanders Inspection)
Recruit Scott: "Sir! This recruit used CLP, Sir!" (because that's what our DI told us to say [wink])

Honestly, though, Firehawk speaks the truth. Steaming hot water, a scrub brush, and liberal amounts of Simple Green is how we got our rifles inspection ready. Then a thin coat of CLP to make them shiny.

EDIT: actually, we called a scuz brush, not a scrub brush, but same dif.

Just remember inspection clean and combat clean are two very different animals. There is such a thing as damaging a weapon from overly agressive cleaning. An in-spec AR will run when it's dirty as long as it's well lubricated. And I hate for a basic AR cleaning to be a half day affair.

Just remember inspection clean and combat clean are two very different animals. There is such a thing as damaging a weapon from overly agressive cleaning. An in-spec AR will run when it's dirty as long as it's well lubricated. And I hate for a basic AR cleaning to be a half day affair.

Completely true. I'm not saying to do the hot water scrub after ever range session. An AP brush, a few drops of CLP, and a couple patches down the bore are all you need to keep an AR running forever. I was just sorta reminiscing on my experiences during my vacation on Paradise Island.

... whats everyone use to clean their AR's solvents , oils , brushes etc ??

I only use militech. Shoot, relube, shoot, then relube, thats all. I havent cleaned one of my rifles for over 3K rnds and it runs with out a problem (Im not talking going to the range and only shooting 50-100 rnds as I am a high roiund count fan). I will be cleaning it shortly as it is time to change the gas rings, and extracor. I also have to check the legth of the buffer spring to make sure it is still within the acceptable length.

Basically keeo you rifle well lubed and you will bve good to go

-DM-

Break free CLP is the right stuff, also otis technologies makes a great AR cleaning kit. Take your time, let bore sit after a go through with a soaking patch any have at it.

Back
Top Bottom