• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning your AR...What do you use

So been curious for a while now ... whats everyone use to clean their AR's solvents , oils , brushes etc ??

Been using the brushes that came with mine both bore and chamber brush...picked up one of those "boresnakes" seems like it works ok for the bore so far.. Been using Hoppes good ole' #9 and some Hoppes Elite Oil

Just curious what everyone else is cleaning with ... its time for me to pick up some more cleaning supplies [smile]

Later , Rob

I still haven't mastered the art of cleaning mine. Going to enlist the help of a vet I know to show me the way. I keep a field cleaning kit in my case but it has a steel rod which I am not too fond of running down the bore.

currently use:
Break Free CLP spray can (keep shakin' it), Hoppe's Bore Snake, Pur-Wraps cotton tipped applicators (basically a long Q-Tip on a narrow wood stick), all of my old toothbrushes, .223 step-brush

have used:
Outers Bore Cleaner & Outers Gun Oil (in days of old before I got a clue), Kroil-penetrating oil mixed with Hoppe's #9, sectioned bore brush

Lube on firearms besides my .223:
Tetra Gun Lubricant, Tetra Gun Grease (especially stainless steel slides)

Firearms Storage:
RiG Universal Grease R-103

Last edited:
I use bore cleaner to get the copper fouling out f the barrel. I then spray the rest with brake parts cleaner and scrub with a tooth brush or Q Tip. I then lube everything with synthetic motor oil; the prorection of CLP at a small fraction of the cost.

I use bore cleaner to get the copper fouling out f the barrel. I then spray the rest with brake parts cleaner and scrub with a tooth brush or Q Tip. I then lube everything with synthetic motor oil; the prorection of CLP at a small fraction of the cost.

wow never heard anyone using that before ..

I've always been a Hoppes guy , maybe I should pick up some CLP and try it out for a change.

Rob

I use the Breakfree Foam in the barrel, let it sit, then run a bore snake.

The rest is just Breakfree CLP, LOTS of Q-tips, some dental picks, and a brass wire brush for the drill.

I also use the AR15.com mineral spirits/CLP mix in a foil bread pan to soak the BCG.

I find it far easier to clean the bore with a one piece cleaning rod and a guide.

I use hoppies to clean the reciever, some type of copper solvent on the bore and mobile 1 to lube.

B

Brake Cleaner or Gunscrubber (whichever I have.. the brake cleaner works just as well and is cheaper), boresnake, q-tips, and toothbrush. If I am giving it a "good scrubbing", I will use Hoppes 9 and a cleaning rod/brass jag/brush on the bore. Breakfree to lube everything except (here comes the flames!) the buffer tube. That gets some general-purpose auto grease. I found that it keeps things nice and lubed, and eliminates the "sprong".

MPro7 (I use it on all my guns,the best I have found in 35 years of shooting) cleaning rod/brass jag/brush on the bore then Breakfree CLP, cotton patchs, Q-tips and pipe cleaners. A touch of grease where needed.

On pistols same as above but I use a Boresnake first.

Firearms Storage:
RiG Universal Grease R-103

Last edited:
hoppes #9, toothbrush for the larger pieces of the bolt and such, cuetips work okay but can shed, we used pipe cleaners back in the military which are nice for some of the holes and tight spots

What do you guys use for getting the crud out of the inside of the bolt carrier? I've got some plastic dental-type picks my kids gave me in my Christmas stocking but they don't do 'gatz.

I used MP-Pro to clean because there is no smell and it's non-toxic and Millitec for lubrication.
Here are some highlights of my cleaning process:
1. Clear the rifle
2. Verify clear
3. Separate upper and lower.
4. Remove BCG from upper for cleaning.
5. Spray MP-Pro into the bore and point the barrel downward to let it drip down.
6. Clean chamber with the chamber brush.
7. Use Otis cable to clean the bore with patches.

YMMV.

I still haven't mastered the art of cleaning mine. Going to enlist the help of a vet I know to show me the way. I keep a field cleaning kit in my case but it has a steel rod which I am not too fond of running down the bore.

I've seen a lot of one piece carbon fiber cleaning rods online for under $30. That's the next cleaning tool on my list to pick up.

- one wet patch (Hoppes No. 9), then brush & let sit
- alternating wet/dry patches w/ Hoppes No. 9 until it looks mostly clean (usually ~4 patches total)
- one more wet patch and let it sit
- clean out the rest of the gun w/ q-tips & a toothbrush
- Boresnake down the pipe to finish cleaning & pull the rest of the No. 9 out
- wet patch with Hoppes gun oil cut w/ 5-10% Marvel Mystery Oil
- very small dab of Lucas severe duty bearing grease w/ a toothpick on anything that slides

Takes ~10 min total.

I need to get a 1-piece cleaning rod instead of the sectioned steel one I've got, but I haven't found one I like in .22 cal yet.

- one wet patch (Hoppes No. 9), then brush & let sit
- alternating wet/dry patches w/ Hoppes No. 9 until it looks mostly clean (usually ~4 patches total)
- one more wet patch and let it sit
- clean out the rest of the gun w/ q-tips & a toothbrush
- Boresnake down the pipe to finish cleaning & pull the rest of the No. 9 out
- wet patch with Hoppes gun oil cut w/ 5-10% Marvel Mystery Oil
- very small dab of Lucas severe duty bearing grease w/ a toothpick on anything that slides

Takes ~10 min total.

I need to get a 1-piece cleaning rod instead of the sectioned steel one I've got, but I haven't found one I like in .22 cal yet.

Basically the same thing I have been doing , except the grease part & mystery oil ...thats one thing I have not done , been using just Elite gun oil . Think Im gonna pick up some CLP to try out , wife hates the smell of No.9 [rofl]

I was taught the HOT SOAPY WATER METHOD at parris island years ago. best method out there. get water as hot as you can stand it. it should hurt your hands add some soapy cleaner. any thing i have ever tried has worked well.dish soap etc,etc dump all your pieces in the sink....my wife gets pissy so i do it when shes gone scrub with tooth brush. i usually put soap on brush as well for extra suds. when its clean rinse with hot water and stand the pieces to dry. if the water is hot enough it basically is instantly dry when you stand em up always check the sink very good b4 you pull the drain lol. i usually do all the pieces of the bolt one at a time so you dont forget one in the sink and pull the plug. a steel GI cleaning rod works great to scour out baked in crud on the inside of the bolt carrier. stick it on the crud/carbon and roll it around with the palm of your hand. this will spin it around on the crap and break it up. i know some people may not want to stick there weapon in water but its made to handle stuff like that. obviously dont dump your optics in there. i usually let all the pieces stand for awhile on a old towel till they look totally dry. then lube up and your done. you will be clean in 10 minutes or less. short of using a safety clean parts cleaning tank i think its the best method.

Hot water works the best, especially used with simple green. Lube with Militech-1

I was taught the HOT SOAPY WATER METHOD at parris island years ago. best method out there. get water as hot as you can stand it. it should hurt your hands add some soapy cleaner. any thing i have ever tried has worked well.dish soap etc,etc dump all your pieces in the sink....my wife gets pissy so i do it when shes gone scrub with tooth brush. i usually put soap on brush as well for extra suds. when its clean rinse with hot water and stand the pieces to dry. if the water is hot enough it basically is instantly dry when you stand em up always check the sink very good b4 you pull the drain lol. i usually do all the pieces of the bolt one at a time so you dont forget one in the sink and pull the plug. a steel GI cleaning rod works great to scour out baked in crud on the inside of the bolt carrier. stick it on the crud/carbon and roll it around with the palm of your hand. this will spin it around on the crap and break it up. i know some people may not want to stick there weapon in water but its made to handle stuff like that. obviously dont dump your optics in there. i usually let all the pieces stand for awhile on a old towel till they look totally dry. then lube up and your done. you will be clean in 10 minutes or less. short of using a safety clean parts cleaning tank i think its the best method.

You know something my father told me about this from when he was at parris island years and years ago... I thought he was just trying to give me a hard time..never thought too much about it thought he was screwin with me... hmmm maybe I'll have to try it sometime. Although the wife might have a fit !

Noob question. Do you actually soak the upper in hot soapy water? How do you get the water out of the gas tube? Compressed air?

I soak it with Hoppes, and then scrub with one of those GREEN scrub pads. Takes it down to shiny steel without removing any steel.

What do you guys use for getting the crud out of the inside of the bolt carrier? I've got some plastic dental-type picks my kids gave me in my Christmas stocking but they don't do 'gatz.

I like Remington Bore Cleaner for lead and copper deposits. I run a very wet patch through the barrel and let it sit for ten minutes or so. I then use a bore snake or bronze brush through the barrel, repeating the Bore Cleaner if I find stubborn lead near the breech.

Then I clean the rest of the metal with M-Pro 7 gun cleaner or CLP. If I don't use CLP, I lube my guns with Shooters Choice FP-10 when I'm done.

I take wood chopsticks from places I eat to use for picking out stubborn lead and carbon deposits in tough places. If I've let the leading get bad enough, I will use a dental pick very carefully.

Noob question. Do you actually soak the upper in hot soapy water? How do you get the water out of the gas tube? Compressed air?

Its going to get wet. Spray it down with simple green, scrub bad sports with a brush. Then rinse it out with the most high pressure hot water you can get. It wont affect the operation in the gas tube. any remaining water will get blown out on the first round, its a chrome tube, it wont rust.

DON'T TALK ABOUT THAT!!!!!!

Regimental SgtMaj: "What did you use to clean this weapon, recruit?" (asked during Regimental Commanders Inspection)
Recruit Scott: "Sir! This recruit used CLP, Sir!" (because that's what our DI told us to say [wink])

Honestly, though, Firehawk speaks the truth. Steaming hot water, a scrub brush, and liberal amounts of Simple Green is how we got our rifles inspection ready. Then a thin coat of CLP to make them shiny.

EDIT: actually, we called a scuz brush, not a scrub brush, but same dif.

Back
Top Bottom