• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning up your brass.

Why is it that the "special" people dont clean up their brass?

Went to shoot some trap/skeet at HSC tonight. On the way out my buddy says he wants to fire a few from his carry. So we stop in at the 7yard range, he shoots, I proceed down range to check the brass buckets for anything that might be useful to me.

Attached is a video of my findings. Its not the end of the world I have scene worse examples but it just shows a continued issue that I have personally scene. Who knows maybe people dont think they have to clean up????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYcEnzEwIX0

I just would like to give those that are special enough to not clean up their own brass a big
1707.gif

Being new to shooting maybe there are reasons you can leave your brass on the range.. I understand an emergency call from home situation. But how often does this actually happen.

At my club 22lr brass is mulch. Any centerfire brass is collected by the owner , and if it isn't 2 people will say at once : " Can I have that ? "

Exception - steel / polymer casings & shotshells = trash. Clean it up.

I thought I was the only one that noticed that, I always try to make the range cleaner than when I came in. It only takes a couple of minutes to sweep your shooting area clean.

I agree, people need to police up their brass. It's enough to piss off the good humor man when they don't.

Bob

Agreed. Never hurts to clean up alittle extra, it helps make up for the ones you may have missed at an earlier time.

Its a trend I have been noticing over the last few weeks, maybe its just the times I have been going to the range. But something tonight set me off.

.22lr as mulch, I admit I did laugh, but honest on the bench's just shows a clear lack of effort to do any sort of clean up. This club is a clean up your own brass period.

I always try to make the range cleaner than when I came in.

Why is it that the "special" people dont clean up their brass? Who knows maybe people dont think they have to clean up???? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYcEnzEwIX0
I just would like to give those that are special enough to not clean up their own brass a big
1707.gif

Being new to shooting maybe there are reasons you can leave your brass on the range.. I understand an emergency call from home situation. But how often does this actually happen.
I find that most reloadable pistol and rifle brass is policed by the people who shoot it or by scroungers who will reload it. What I see left on the range most often is some aluminum pistol brass, a lot of both steel rifle brass and .22 rimfire brass.

What really I don’t understand is the dirty cleaning patches that are run through a barrel and just left dumped on the ground. It makes the range look like ---.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I've seen worse. Usually Harvard is pretty clean, but there are times when I feel like yelling out loud "Who the f*** left all this brass!?!"

After cleaning up after myself, I sweep up as much as I can before my back tells me to stop.

Last time I was at the range was a crappy day and no one was around. I must have picked up over 350 .40S&W casings. (none from me) Most were Magtech brass, about 100 were nickel coated Federal or Speer. I figure they were LEO brass since they use this range for qualifying. I know they don't care about reloading, but damn, even they don't follow the rules?

I always pick up my brass. Well, maybe a few times I've gotten lazy with the .22's. [thinking]

The range I go to is outdoors only and no range officers so there's usually shitloads of brass just sitting around for the taking.

Since I reload everything I shoot except shotgun and 22LR my brass get's picked up. The others get swept up!

It's bad enough on an outdoor range, but when I go to the indoor range at my club and see brass on the floor I just have to shake my head in disgust - and it always seems to tbe the .22 shooters. Pick your shit up! When I shoot .22, I police afterwards. It's not that hard and the damned club supplies a broom - what the hell more do you need?

At my club we have range checkin and check out log. In the log you identify what your shooting. If a mess is left the culprit is easily ID'ed. Not cleaning up counts as a range infraction. And can lead to loss of privilege. And range use is a privilege not a right.

I too always pick up more than I dropped.. one to help the cleanup efforts and two to make up for any I missed. I did spot and pick up a doozie yesterday.. some jackass left a live .30-06 round in the grass where the mowers could hit it.

I took my 6 year old Son to the Pelham Fish and Game Sunday to help set up for a shoot, and he spent about 30 minutes just picking up .22 Brass. Or course that is all that is left behind these days.

I guess if there is one thing we can thank the current administration for , its Getting everyone so spooked that there is not alot of Brass left behind anymore.

Looks like a bunch of lazy people. No excuse when the ground is pavement and there are brooms and dustpans available.

Last time I was at the range was a crappy day and no one was around. I must have picked up over 350 .40S&W casings. (none from me) Most were Magtech brass, about 100 were nickel coated Federal or Speer.

To me, you scored big time (even if they were Glock fired brass).[grin]

Respectfully,
jkelly

the only thing that drives me crazier than people leaving brass on the range is people using the beach for an ashtray...

+1 on that...

If you noticed in the vid there must have been 5+ butts in the piles... I'm an ex smoker... So no one is worse than an ex smoker when it comes to opinions on smoking:)

But its just dirty and nasty habit..

Hey lets just put our gum on the ground while we are at it!!!!!

the only thing that drives me crazier than people leaving brass on the range is people using the beach for an ashtray...

have to agree with you on that one...

.22 brass seemed to never get picked up. I try to sweep mine up a s best I can.
I try and collect every center fire case. One day I was searching the grass for the one (there is always one) 30.06 case that I couldn't find, the guy next to me asked what I was doing....I said collecting my brass...he said why? [rolleyes]

Slobs exist everywhere! [thinking]

I can't stand .22 cases rolling around under my feet. Frequently, I'll sweep them into a pile during a break in my shooting, then after I'm all done, I'll sweep all of them up and dump them in the ammo bucket or trash bucket (no brass buckets at BR&P outdoor ranges).

Years ago, I used to scout up brass (and live rounds) regularly after various PDs got done with qualification shooting. [smile]

That is a mess WeedWhacker but nothing that a few minutes wouldn't clean up. I spend more time loading/unloading the my truck then it would take me to clean that up. Hey, how do you guys get the shells out of the grass? The range I go to is starting to get a collection of rim fire there.

Slobs exist everywhere! [thinking]

I can't stand .22 cases rolling around under my feet. Frequently, I'll sweep them into a pile during a break in my shooting, then after I'm all done, I'll sweep all of them up and dump them in the ammo bucket or trash bucket (no brass buckets at BR&P outdoor ranges).[smile]
I will only clean an area so that I can shoot without walking on other people’s brass. If I sweep up others scrap brass when sweeping up my brass then I leave it in a pile on the ground. If the club doesn’t like the state of the range they can do something about the brass and trash left on the ground.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I shoot at an indoor range and being disabled I always make an effort to sweep up (not an easy chore for me) after myself and others that have been there be me and left a mess. I don't reload so everything goes in the brass can.

How about people who leave there used targets downrange or scattered around and empty ammo boxes?

wow I've never been to a range but that seems like a lot. couldn't you slip on all that? that's crazy whenever I go to my first range I deff plan to pick up all my spent ammo.

there are times when I feel like yelling out loud "Who the f*** left all this brass!?!"

Maybe I'm just seeing this from a reloaders point of view but to me that's like getting pissed off and yelling "Who the f*** left all this money?!?!"

When I find brass on the ground and nobody around to claim it, I keep my mouth shut and my "empty casings" bag open. The only thing better is when they pile it up neatly in a corner so that I don't have to scrounge for it.

i agree lots of people just leave brass laying around. as an example on sunday morning i was on my clubs pistol range and i picked up quite a few 50 cal ae and some type of 460 cal and a box or so of 44 mag plus odds and ends of 38'sand 45's. i will eventually trade off what i dont use when i have enough to trade.

Back
Top Bottom