• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning tools

So I spent the day in the gun/reloading room today. Subject to interpretation didn't get it set up fully before surgery last Thursday. But spent the day breaking down and deep cleaning a few of my firearms. So here is my question what is your favorite cleaning tool. Mine is a plague scraper. Any one have a good source for professional dental tools not Amazon. Let me know what you use the most

old nylon brush that came with one of my first "master gun cleaning kit"
what ever solvent my fingers touch first and some rags.
jags and patches

bought something like this 30 plus years ago but it had dual end brushes, still have the brushes the rest was junk.
I updated my cleaning rods to once piece

what ever cleaning solutions are available when I run out.
I have grown to like foaming bore cleaners. Gun slick was my favorite for years but they are gone

Right now Im using Wipe Out ---its ok. Not as good as gunslick was on the heavy fouled rifles.

lots of patches

So I spent the day in the gun/reloading room today. Subject to interpretation didn't get it set up fully before surgery last Thursday. But spent the day breaking down and deep cleaning a few of my firearms. So here is my question what is your favorite cleaning tool. Mine is a plague scraper. Any one have a good source for professional dental tools not Amazon. Let me know what you use the most

This is the one it floats around on my bench I use it all the time. Kinda wish I knew were it came from

Attachments

• 16139965105217660552841992790622.jpg
    16139965105217660552841992790622.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 32
Looks like the plastic pics that came with a cleaning kit?
Stainless could have come from a cleaning kit or from a spray gun cleaning kit looks like a plaque scraper dentist use. It is hooked but flat with two edges at different degrees

Picks/scrapers are a must. Got sick of the cheap ones I had breaking in half found a HD plastic set at local auto parts place and so far they are really good for like 10 bucks. I use them everytime I clean something.

553240.jpg

The GI ones last damn near forever. I've substituted hard bristle tooth brushes, in a pinch. Sometimes, I'd even tell the toothbrush owner.

I asked my dentist if he had any old ones he’d otherwise dispose of. He was happy to give me a few.

lots of patches
Stocking enough patches (of the proper size)
so that there's not the slightest temptation
to skinflint on them is nice.

Of the two kinds of patch, I went with the kind that doesn't leave lint.
Not by doing an A/B comparison - just on first principles.
From talking to the nice Patch Lady at the Marlboro show.

I fergit what the benefit is of the lint-y kind. YMMV.

Thanks for reminding me.

In college they had these monster Q-Tips with wicked long wooden shafts.
Nowadays they're only used for taking biological samples from Cuomo family noses,
but back then they were for cleaning magtape drives with freon solution ( [shocked] ) .

Fast forward a few decades, I'm Q-Tipping this-or-that Ruger
when I suddenly flash on the good old days.

Surf the intarwebs and...they're still a thing, and Grainger has them!

(The pictured ziploc is a 100-pack; the white-box contains 10 100-packs).

Take a 5-minute detour on the way to the next NEAR-Fest,
and I'm the Q-Tip King of Deerfield.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom