Cleaning Stainless Media

DaBuh

NES Member
Afternoon,
I was gifted some 223 brass and began the process of getting it cleaned up. I think I goofed by not doing a better job keeping sand and junk out of my tumbler.
My media now has sand and small rocks mixed in with it. Does anyone have any tricks on separating rocks and sand from my stainless?
So far I've tried putting some neodymium magnets in a cup and trying to pick up only the pins but inevitably small pebbles get stuck between the magnet and pins. Maybe this magnet is too strong?
Thanks!

poster board or construction paper and a large magnet
you pick up pins with the the board/magnet, move the magnet around while the pins are on the underside so the pins shift around and the sand will fall out

Winner, winner...chicken dinner!
poster board or construction paper and a large magnet
you pick up pins with the the board/magnet, move the magnet around while the pins are on the underside so the pins shift around and the sand will fall out

I use a similar approach when rinsing my brass after tumbling. I large magnet on the outside of the plastic bucket while I swish the rinse water around keeps the pins stuck to the side everything else goes to the bottom of the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom