• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning Schedule

I clean all my guns right after each trip to the range including my target guns even my p22 and 10/22 gets cleaned. I like to keep all my guns ready to go just in case I need more than one or have to pass them out if the shit hits the fan After all guys those zombies are not going to wait while you clean you guns

I clean all my guns right after each trip to the range including my target guns even my p22 and 10/22 gets cleaned. I like to keep all my guns ready to go just in case I need more than one or have to pass them out if the shit hits the fan After all guys those zombies are not going to wait while you clean you guns

I clean the ones that need to be cleaned.
The zombies don't care if you're shooting with a clean gun or a dirty gun. :)

And every time you disassemble and then re-assemble your gun you don't "know" if it's functioning until you test it (making it dirty again). What if you re-assemble and do it incorrectly?

At least when I put a gun away dirty I know the last time I used it, it shot fine.

But I think I'm broadening this discussion a little too much.

I clean them as needed, Modern non-corrosive ammo is not going to hurt your gun. It also depends how finicky your guns is. A SKS can be very dirty and still function fine where as a AR-15 or M4 will need to be cleaned more often. IMO if you are using the gun for self defense make sure you clean it every time. I just pull a bore snake through with the brush half soaked with CLP, I do it so it will clean the barrel then the dry portion of the bore snake soaks it up. A few drops of oil on moving surfaces, oil metal surfaces then wipe down.

If you shoot modern jacketed ammo in a pistol, cleaning the bore is overrated. Way overrated. I get a kick out of people that say something like, "I run a bore snake through the bore after every few boxes of WWB." Think about it...How dirty can it get? Try this - shoot ten rounds of WWB then field strip and look down the bore. Then fire 200 more rounds and look down the bore again. You won't see any difference.

I try to clean after every range trip, but since I usually take multiple firearms to the range, and go frequently, this doesn't always happen.

Some guns I won't clean for a while because they don't need it. For example, an AR will get much dirtier than a bolt action rifle after the same number of rounds.

Some guns I don't clean as frequently as I should because I don't like to clean them. The Ruger Mark III and revolvers fall into this category.

Fortunately, I run pistol classes frequently enough so that I have my students clean my guns - even ones we don't use in the class. I found that new shooters love to clean guns. I made up a bunch of cleaning kits. I bring all my dirty guns to the last day of the class. Long after the range session, long after they've been given their certificates, students will hang around until every gun is clean, and they're disappointed when there are no more dirty ones left. It's great.

Fortunately, I run pistol classes frequently enough so that I have my students clean my guns - even ones we don't use in the class. I found that new shooters love to clean guns. I made up a bunch of cleaning kits. I bring all my dirty guns to the last day of the class. Long after the range session, long after they've been given their certificates, students will hang around until every gun is clean, and they're disappointed when there are no more dirty ones left. It's great.

Ahhh, I see how it is! [laugh]

Good information here. I guess its depends on a lot of variables whether or not to clean and oil.

3. It's not a clip! It's a magazine. A clip is a loading device used to quickly load catridges into a magazine.

Can I get some clearification on this? I was taught that a clip was a loading device to quickly load a revolver, not a magazine or semiauto? Was I being told wrong info?

For a revolver - that's called a speed loader.

A CLIP is used to hold the rounds that are loaded in to a rifle (such as an M1 or SKS, etc). They do NOT feed the ammo in to the rifle, they only hold it to load it.

A magazine is a feeding device for semi-auto firearms.

Every one got that? [smile]

For a revolver - that's called a speed loader.

Could he be talking about a moon clip?

Basic definition:

A CLIP is a device that holds rounds together and makes it easier to feed them into a magazine or chamber. This could be for a rifle (stripper or enbloc clips) or revolver (moon or half moon clips). I don't know of an example for a pistol clip off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone invented one somewhere.

A MAGAZINE is a spring fed device that feeds rounds into the chamber of a rifle or pistol. They could be external (AR-15) or internal (M-1 Garand).

i01A7C915-05D4-48BF-9FD4-34CC99D796AB.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be honest with you, I considered cleaning the firearm the same as oiling. Since no one has gone over oiling with me, what should I be doing? I bought a full box kit at Four Seasons that has two types of oil and a bottle of spray, along with brass brushes for the bore and wipes. ...and a blue cloth. The gun is pretty oiled up from the factory though.... I've noticed that.

Ash, you want to make sure that any part of the gun where there is metal rubbing against metal has a thin coat of oil on it. When you first bring a new gun home, make sure you take it apart and get a good understanding of how it works; this will help you identify those places. On a pistol, you're going to want to focus where the frame and slide meet and where the barrel moves inside the slide. On a rifle, look for where the bolt moves.

When you apply oil, don't overdo it: you want just enough to provide a layer of protection, but not so much that it looks wet or is dripping (too much oil will attract dirt and gunk up the works). When I oil my guns I'll quickly run a cloth over the area to be oiled, to remove any gunk or excess oil. I'll drop two or three drops of oil on the area (use an oiler instead of getting oil straight from the bottle; it helps with precision and quantity control: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=450802). Then I'll spread it out with my pinky. When I can run my pinky smoothly along the area to be oiled without it getting stuck, I know it's well oiled. Be sure to mop up an excess of you overdo it. Then I'll reassemble the gun and work the slide or bolt back and forth a half dozen times to make sure everything covered. Function check, and you're good to go.

This will ensure function, minimize friction and make sure your gun doesn't wear down prematurely. Like I said, I'll do this before I shoot any gun, and if I have a heavy round count (500+ rounds for the day), I'll reapply midway through the day.

Also, here in the Northeast we need to be concerned about humidity and rust. When I put my guns away, I'll use a Rem Wipe to apply a coat of oil over the exposed metal parts. A Rem Wipe won't provide lubrication for functionality, but will prevent against rust and corrosion. Nothing sucks more than pulling your favorite blue gun out of the safe after a month and finding rust spots on the frame. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...240301&cm_ite=0059526228327a&_requestid=22352

Back
Top Bottom