• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning question

I recently found gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Seems like a neat and effective product. My question is whether or not there anything I should keep in mind when using it semi-auto gun such as an m1, m1a, ar-15?

Thanks,
Anthony

Well I'm not sure if it will hurt anything but I decided to clean my range beater AR....no idea how many rounds.
I used a foaming copper cleaner.....think it's break free brand? Well at some point I must have moved the upper and placed it barrel up. Then my son fell upstairs....well I forgot all about the upper....a few days later I found a blue blob of sludge all over the inside of my upper coming from the gas tube...everything seems fine but what a mess.
I think the only concern is if it gets into your gas system will it promote corrosion if not cleaned out 100%
I basically only use the foam cleaner when I have let cleaning go or a new to me barrel. I use gunzilla for a few years now. When I get home I pass a wet patch wait a few minutes dry patch until dry then a wet patch for storage. This has done well by me and I don't seem to get the copper fouling I used to before I started this on my M1

Last edited:
ok, cool. So if it is cleaned up within the 20 or so minutes it won't gum up the gas system?

No cleaner should gum up the gas system ...you need to be sure the cleaning compond is safe for stainless and aluminum.
Even bore cleaner left in a bore will begin to react with the steel.
Read the label clean as directed. I think you will be all right.
For me there's no reason to use these cleaners to often.

Back
Top Bottom