• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning Patches

Can I use old white T-shirts to cut up some cleaning patches?

Is there anything special about the packaged ones sold at the store? Lint free? No chemicals? Does it matter?

Thanks

Old T-shirts are good to go

In my experience my old worn out t shirts are still thicker than commercial patches. Only seems to be a problem if trying to push one down a 22/223 barrel. I may have gotten one or two stuck [hmmm]

I use t-shirts or old towels as rags. For the barrels and crap I use Hoppe's patches.

They are thinner. As said above, some t-shirts are pretty hard to push down the length of a rifle bore, and pull back out. I snapped off a couple cleaning rods doing that. [laugh]

I like butches brand patches they have a certain texture to them that just seems to grab more crud....they are tight though. I also like "the professionals choice" branded cleaning patches. I have little luck or patience cutting up Tshirts

I agree with Sjan's comment on patch thickness. I have also had the unpleasant experience of getting two patches stuck in a .223 barrel.

You only have to run a bore snake once through the barrel. When they get dirty, I wash them in soap and water. There is a lot of surface area on a bore snake, they do not need to be cleaned after each use. If you are shooting a handgun, go up through the mag well, which will clean the slide also. Much better than swabbing barrels, IMHO.
Just my 2 cents.

its not just the patch or which one, when you clean a barrel run

a patch with your favorite cleaner and let it sit for awhile,, you can

then use a bronze brush thru it, then more patches until they come

out clean. YMMV

I can't remember the last time I bought patches. T shirt material is my favorite. If I run low at home, Lowes has rags for sale in the paint department that appear to be the same material. This material also comes in various thicknesses, so you get some thin stuff to accomodate your 22s and 223s.

PS I prefer to swab my barrel rather than run a "snake" through. I would much rather disassemble the gun and clean it thoroughly, particularly the bore, using the technique mentioned by JimB. The "Bore Snake" seems to me to be a convenient tool to be used when you don't have the time to do a thorough cleaning, like when you're at the range.

PS I prefer to swab my barrel rather than run a "snake" through. I would much rather disassemble the gun and clean it thoroughly, particularly the bore, using the technique mentioned by JimB. The "Bore Snake" seems to me to be a convenient tool to be used when you don't have the time to do a thorough cleaning, like when you're at the range.

I use them during all of my thorough cleanings, for handguns and shotguns. I still think they clean more thoroughly and efficiently than swabbing. YMMV

Bore snakes are easily cleaned with soap and water. The bores of your guns will never be cleaner.

Hoppe's Boresnake - YouTube

I was meaning for my comment to be rhetorical. I wash my bore snake with all my gun cleaning towels in the washer.

It's just easy for me to keep the snake and lube in a pocket when at the range or wherever.

Back
Top Bottom