• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning out the safe

When I built my AR-15, I had a conversation that went something like this:

Me: "How much money would I have to give you for you to NEVER question this rifle, or how much it cost to build?"

Her: "How much will it cost? Give me that much."

Me: "How much do you think it will cost?"

She guessed a thousand, and that's what I gave her. She guessed low by a third.

I'm trying to do the same thing to justify getting a Smith & Wesson E-series 1911, but she's not buying it. Even giving her the matching $800 or so won't do it for her. She says it's time to spend some of our money on stupid things for the house, like a new couch, or re-carpet the great room, or blah blah blah (I stopped listening...).

Our marriage is based on trust, and as much as I might love to go behind her back to get the 1911, I wouldn't do it because I don't want to betray her trust. Do you guys have to "go behind your wives' backs" to get what you want? I figure if I wait a few months, and keep planting tiny seeds, she'll eventually come around and tell me to go get it without me having to be sneaky, and eventually me getting the gun will be "her idea."

I'd rather wait, than be un-trustworthy.

Funny thing when it comes to purchases... I make all the "big" purchase decisions, and she makes all the small ones. In twelve years of marriage, we apparently haven't made any big purchases decisions. Hmmm.

Seriously - anything over about $300 or so, and we usually discuss whatever it is, because that's money which *could* be spent elsewhere, on different priorities.

You are a good husband and an honest man. Congratulations to you and your wife.

I was in a local gun shop and a guy in the store is complaining that he could never get away with coming home with another toy, but he is clearly itching to buy it.

Several people in the store start busting his balls.

I asked him if his wife was home (she was) and what his phone number was.

I called his house asking for him, (wife answered) told her to please get him a message .........

"Your husband won the raffle at the shop, please tell him to come by and pick up his new gun"

Within 10 seconds his cell phone rang.

Problem solved

Love it!

When I built my AR-15, I had a conversation that went something like this:

Me: "How much money would I have to give you for you to NEVER question this rifle, or how much it cost to build?"

Her: "How much will it cost? Give me that much."

Me: "How much do you think it will cost?"

She guessed a thousand, and that's what I gave her. She guessed low by a third.

I'm trying to do the same thing to justify getting a Smith & Wesson E-series 1911, but she's not buying it. Even giving her the matching $800 or so won't do it for her. She says it's time to spend some of our money on stupid things for the house, like a new couch, or re-carpet the great room, or blah blah blah (I stopped listening...).

Our marriage is based on trust, and as much as I might love to go behind her back to get the 1911, I wouldn't do it because I don't want to betray her trust. Do you guys have to "go behind your wives' backs" to get what you want? I figure if I wait a few months, and keep planting tiny seeds, she'll eventually come around and tell me to go get it without me having to be sneaky, and eventually me getting the gun will be "her idea."

I'd rather wait, than be un-trustworthy.

Funny thing when it comes to purchases... I make all the "big" purchase decisions, and she makes all the small ones. In twelve years of marriage, we apparently haven't made any big purchases decisions. Hmmm.

Seriously - anything over about $300 or so, and we usually discuss whatever it is, because that's money which *could* be spent elsewhere, on different priorities.

Follow-up to this post. My wife just suggested if I got her two pairs of Ugg boots, I can get my 1911. See? The Jedi mind trick works every time...

Back
Top Bottom