Cleaning out the safe

I apologize. I come from a family where my father had us living in poverty and on the brink of bankruptcy because of clandestine purchases such as firearms, ATVs, etc. Couple this with the domestic violence I witnessed and was involved in, and it very strongly colored my impression of the "hiding from the wife/girlfriend/etc." mentality. I couldn't picture myself doing it, ever. Sorry to have offended so many of you.

I apologize. I come from a family where my father had us living in poverty and on the brink of bankruptcy because of clandestine purchases such as firearms, ATVs, etc. Couple this with the domestic violence I witnessed and was involved in, and it very strongly colored my impression of the "hiding from the wife/girlfriend/etc." mentality. I couldn't picture myself doing it, ever. Sorry to have offended so many of you.

I don't think anyone was offended, matter of fact I don't think anyone here could GET offended, lol[wink]. You just don't get the banter and the long running back stories of the ingenious ways we can get our hobby equipment into the house, it's a game really.
Disclaimer: no one was hurt in the smuggling of firearms into the safes of NES members.

U take internet post too seriously. Lighten up and you'll be fine.

Home Depot has a sale on rolls of plastic sheeting and duct tape... Shovels are full price though, sorry.
~Matt

so i'm cleaning out the safe for hunting and my wife was going to be gone all day. well she comes home early and see all the guns and say where did all these come from. well now i'm in trouble at this point I said I have had these for years she said you are full of sh** oh well i got busted I think she will get over it I hope

View attachment 40602

NICE!!!!!!!!

I go down to St Maarten every year and load up on "pandora" to keep it handy for my daughter, wife and anyone else. No one knows if it's real or not, not even me, but it's like 1/4 of the price as up here.

Love St Maarten, though it's tough to conceal carry on those nudie beaches.

So to the OP: I'm jealous.
WRT rationalizing gun purchases or whatever, my wife and I have budgeted our income so that we each get a certain amount of discretionary money each month to do with whatever we want. If she wants to buy 20 pairs of shoes, I don't care. If I want a new gun or ammo, I save up and buy it. Simple as that.

"I'm just just holding them for a friend" didn't work when I got caught with cigarettes in high school and I doubt it will fly with my wife now. So I have to be careful to avoid the OP's situation.

Becoming a certified instructor was the best move I've ever made. Now when my wife asks I can just say, "How much did they cost?!? Honey, I'm making money on all of these guns!"

Becoming a certified instructor was the best move I've ever made. Now when my wife asks I can just say, "How much did they cost?!? Honey, I'm making money on all of these guns!"

You shred some light. It's my next move.

When I built my AR-15, I had a conversation that went something like this:

Me: "How much money would I have to give you for you to NEVER question this rifle, or how much it cost to build?"

Her: "How much will it cost? Give me that much."

Me: "How much do you think it will cost?"

She guessed a thousand, and that's what I gave her. She guessed low by a third.

I'm trying to do the same thing to justify getting a Smith & Wesson E-series 1911, but she's not buying it. Even giving her the matching $800 or so won't do it for her. She says it's time to spend some of our money on stupid things for the house, like a new couch, or re-carpet the great room, or blah blah blah (I stopped listening...).

Our marriage is based on trust, and as much as I might love to go behind her back to get the 1911, I wouldn't do it because I don't want to betray her trust. Do you guys have to "go behind your wives' backs" to get what you want? I figure if I wait a few months, and keep planting tiny seeds, she'll eventually come around and tell me to go get it without me having to be sneaky, and eventually me getting the gun will be "her idea."

I'd rather wait, than be un-trustworthy.

Funny thing when it comes to purchases... I make all the "big" purchase decisions, and she makes all the small ones. In twelve years of marriage, we apparently haven't made any big purchases decisions. Hmmm.

Seriously - anything over about $300 or so, and we usually discuss whatever it is, because that's money which *could* be spent elsewhere, on different priorities.

When I built my AR-15, I had a conversation that went something like this:

Me: "How much money would I have to give you for you to NEVER question this rifle, or how much it cost to build?"

Her: "How much will it cost? Give me that much."

Me: "How much do you think it will cost?"

She guessed a thousand, and that's what I gave her. She guessed low by a third.

I'm trying to do the same thing to justify getting a Smith & Wesson E-series 1911, but she's not buying it. Even giving her the matching $800 or so won't do it for her. She says it's time to spend some of our money on stupid things for the house, like a new couch, or re-carpet the great room, or blah blah blah (I stopped listening...).

Our marriage is based on trust, and as much as I might love to go behind her back to get the 1911, I wouldn't do it because I don't want to betray her trust. Do you guys have to "go behind your wives' backs" to get what you want? I figure if I wait a few months, and keep planting tiny seeds, she'll eventually come around and tell me to go get it without me having to be sneaky, and eventually me getting the gun will be "her idea."

I'd rather wait, than be un-trustworthy.

Funny thing when it comes to purchases... I make all the "big" purchase decisions, and she makes all the small ones. In twelve years of marriage, we apparently haven't made any big purchases decisions. Hmmm.

Seriously - anything over about $300 or so, and we usually discuss whatever it is, because that's money which *could* be spent elsewhere, on different priorities.

I agree with everything you wrote in this excellent post based on principle, however, the last part that I highlighted is where most of us get into "issues". The simple fact is that when you have several guns already, it is very difficult, if not impossible in most cases to ever justify buying another one over something more practical for a joint venture (like your home, vacations, children's college fund, etc.). Unless you have a ton of truly disposable income, which very few of us have, you can not really *justify* another gun purchase. I think also it makes a difference who the actual "breadwinner" for the family is in a lot of situations. In my case I have bought things for my automotive hobby, as well as firearm hobby *under the wire*, but only to avoid arguments about how the money would be better used. I must say, though, that I have never tapped into any family budget in any way to support my hobbies. The money always came from the proceeds of selling off stuff that I already had to purchase newer things that I wanted. It is never *right* to operate like this, but it is a necessary evil in certain situations.

I was in a local gun shop and a guy in the store is complaining that he could never get away with coming home with another toy, but he is clearly itching to buy it.

Several people in the store start busting his balls.

I asked him if his wife was home (she was) and what his phone number was.

I called his house asking for him, (wife answered) told her to please get him a message .........

"Your husband won the raffle at the shop, please tell him to come by and pick up his new gun"

Within 10 seconds his cell phone rang.

Problem solved

I have this trouble with tools as well. One day I can home with a new skill saw, my wife took one look and asked in an annoyed voice, "why do you need a new saw, you already has a sawzall"
she was serious!

I was in a local gun shop and a guy in the store is complaining that he could never get away with coming home with another toy, but he is clearly itching to buy it.

Several people in the store start busting his balls.

I asked him if his wife was home (she was) and what his phone number was.

I called his house asking for him, (wife answered) told her to please get him a message .........

"Your husband won the raffle at the shop, please tell him to come by and pick up his new gun"

Within 10 seconds his cell phone rang.

Problem solved

[laugh2] That is a nice tactic right there!

That really is f*cking genius. Well played sir.

I get the feeling lots of NES married dudes are going to be "winning raffles" in the very near future.

"I'm just just holding them for a friend" didn't work when I got caught with cigarettes in high school and I doubt it will fly with my wife now. So I have to be careful to avoid the OP's situation.

[rofl] too funny. you're probably right! even tho I am holding some for a friend! I wonder how many I can get in the safe and tell the hubby they belong to a friend.

Back
Top Bottom