Cleaning out the safe

Happy wife = happy life.

I don't know if anyone remembers the email I sent to the CMP during their bolt action release last fall, but I was quite proud of it; they ended up sending my rifle right out after I think I made someone in Anniston laugh:
To whom it may concern,

I writing regarding the shipping of order #XXXXXX of a 1917 Field Grade, RM1917FG. The order was just entered into the e-store today with an order date of 10/29.

If at all possible, it would be greatly appreciated if my order (#XXXXXX) could be sent out on either a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Besides not being home on Tuesdays and over the weekend to receive the order, my wife IS home and will likely force me to sleep on the sofa for the forseeable future if she ends up seeing a long box from the CMP unloaded out of the back of a Fed Ex truck.

I can only imagine how busy you all must be given the bolt action rifle release and I know it’s certainly not your responsibility to protect me from my wife, but if there’s any way you can ship the order so as it isn’t likely to arrive on a Tuesday or over the weekend, I would be greatly indebted. Otherwise, in addition to a new rifle I may also have to buy a new sofa, but unfortunately the CMP doesn’t sell those.

Thanks,

OfficerObie59

As long as it isn't affecting your monthly expense, you should be able to do what you want with the hobby /sport / protection aspect of your life. I dont mean to preach, I just don't get all this talk about hiding shit.
Whether or not you can afford the hobby has nothing to do with it if you're wife thinks the money you're spending is wasteful.

While my wife is getting better, she simply doesn't understand the hobby at all. To her, it has nothing to do with whether we can afford it. She simply has no ability to distinguish one gun from another, and thus to her, buying any more than one gun is an automatic waste of money.

Meanwhile, she struggles to convince me why she needs a new Coach purse when the other five Coach purses she has in her closet look just fine. I don't get the difference there. To me, that's a waste. The end game is that we no longer break each others chops about it. But I still have to pace myself--or more precisely, I have to let her think I'm pacing myself.

I hope I'm not the only man who finds the premise of this thread disgusting.

Dude, get off your high horse.

You may want to go green and be around more than a couple weeks before you start throwing around sanctimonious barbs at other guys who've been her a while.

Dude, get off your high horse.

You may want to go green and be around more than a couple weeks before you start throwing around sanctimonious barbs at other guys who've been her a while.

Everyone be very careful I think this site has been infiltrated by someones wife.

I think that what the Gentleman was trying to convey is that the notion of leaning out the safe is disgusting. I could be wrong....

ETA... Yep I was wrong... he is being a D'bag

Last edited:
Is it a Yankee cultural thing to be a deceitful pussy when it comes to wives and guns?
Nope, it's a Yankee cultural thing to have wives that dislike guns, unfortunately.

Funny story - I finally bought a browning sa-22 I had been eyeballing for a while. I snuck up to kittery trading post first thing in the morning to pick it up. I threw all of the paper work in the back of my jeep. I went grocery shopping later in the day and it began to downpour. I threw the wet bags in the back of the jeep. When I was bringing the groceries into the house for the wife to put away - the receipt from kittery trading post got stuck to the wet bag - busted

[rofl2] Receipt goes in your wallet so that you can enter it in your record book. Which also avoids that little problem of letting someone see it who you might NOT want to see it!

When I upgraded from a 10 gun cabinet to a 24 gun safe with combination lock, I didn't get rid of the old one.
I primarily use the old one for ammo, but have a separate cabinet for ammo.
My wife has never seen me buy a gun, they just appear (isnt that what gun case is for?).
Recently, I acquired my dads rifles, and the safe is looking full.
I have re-organize before my AR Build

Same thin happened to me, I cleaned my safe to put a new golden rod, she came in saw the guns covering the bed and asked if this ALL your guns, I sheepishly said no....She said I had a problem. I agreed but the value of my guns have inncreased unlike our 401K balance.

Oh man Pandora is expensive. Wait till your girl wants her 2nd bracelet, then come and talk to me [laugh]. Good thing she has small wrists so I'm talking her out of a 2nd!

Oh there is some type of new braclet out now, its like alex and aniI guess you buy a boat load of skinny braclets and stack them up not sure but im sure my wallet will find out!

My wife is into pandora and it is awsome! Yes its exspencive but here is a wonderfull trick buy like 4 or 5 beads when they are having a sale stick them in a bag keep them in your pocket... When you screw up... or just to be nice give her one! Man I give her one of those in the morning that afternoon I can buy whatever I want!

Issue with these new bracelets is they are little skinny braclets can't keep them in my pocket....

I have NO idea what you guys are talking about with this "Pandora" thing. Some new jewelry fad? What is it, a really expensive charm bracelet?

edit - Oh. Should have googled it first. That is VERY expen$ive $hit!!! And the girls (well, some of them) complain about our guns!

Last edited:
Pandora is a jewelry company: http://www.pandora.net/en-us

Al - I'm not a jewelry kind of gal.... both of my wedding and engagement rings came from Blue Nile - I don't know what your budget is though. Sometimes Groupon, LivingSocial, BuyWithMe or whoever has deals for them.

Men - If your ladies are busting your chops on how many guns you're buying, just rebut with whatever they like to buy... be it purses, shoes, clothes, etc. For me, I like to buy techy gadgets, cars, video games, guns, and other things. Most of these things my husband also enjoys. I just encouraged him to spend $3k on a new camera. I was excited for him to buy it.

As long as you have a budget and a good financial plan, who cares what you're spending your money on? As long as it's something you enjoy, who cares.

Happy wife = happy life.

I don't know if anyone remembers the email I sent to the CMP during their bolt action release last fall, but I was quite proud of it; they ended up sending my rifle right out after I think I made someone in Anniston laugh:

Whether or not you can afford the hobby has nothing to do with it if you're wife thinks the money you're spending is wasteful.

While my wife is getting better, she simply doesn't understand the hobby at all. To her, it has nothing to do with whether we can afford it. She simply has no ability to distinguish one gun from another, and thus to her, buying any more than one gun is an automatic waste of money.

Meanwhile, she struggles to convince me why she needs a new Coach purse when the other five Coach purses she has in her closet look just fine. I don't get the difference there. To me, that's a waste. The end game is that we no longer break each others chops about it. But I still have to pace myself--or more precisely, I have to let her think I'm pacing myself.

Sounds like you have a very similar situation to mine! My wife reluctantly goes along with the fact that I "need" to have guns and enjoy the hobby, but she personally doesn't like them, or understand why I would ever "need" more than just that first handgun that I bought when I got my LTC. I was actually outed recently on several guns she didn't know about because I had to justify "why" I needed a decent sized gun safe when all she knew about was one handgun and a rifle.

BTW, I love that CMP letter!

...Sounds like you all need to find a girl willing to become a green member here and join in the hobby. Shiver doesn't get on my case about my purchases because she has a few that she wants as well. I got lucky, I suppose...

What I would have heard from that origianl picture was how I would be buying a whole new set of bedsheets and blankets if there was even one drop of gun oil to be found anywhere on the bed.

The one time the safe door is open and she made a comment. We go upstairs open the closet door and see all the fxcking shoes pocket books and jewery. I simply say "i dont remember questioning any of these purchases?

Never an issue again

I have been made fun of many times at gun stores mentioning how I need to run it by the boss. Lots of people say just buy it and stick it in the safe. Well she has a key to the safe too and if she ever found a gun that I had been "hiding" its business end would likely be the last think I looked at

I would be mad if my husband did that too but I would ask him why he didn't let me know before because I could have been shooting all of those rifles this whole time [rofl]

This! [laugh2] My wife would be mad because she had been missing out on shooting all those firearms!

Last edited:
If you do it right, then guns should be like cats. You get a lot of them, mostly ones that look vaguely similar, and dont keep them all in the same place. Then no one really knows how many you have.

This is why black cats and Glocks are so awesome.

In it funny how we all go for the bed :)

DC1010FA-E.jpg

I recently just got outed by girlfriend to my mother about another firearm I just picked up. Coming from one angle is one thing, getting it from both women is downright a pain in the ass. Luckily, the one gun my gf can distinguish is my Ruger SR22 that she has. Everything else looks the same.

Usually I just dish it right back with the amount of clothes, Coach purses (I didn't know you need multiple for each season), and shoes. I also tell her that mine are an investment and will always hold value and one day her Coach purses could be worth jacks***. Some invest in the stock market, I invest in guns [smile]

In it funny how we all go for the bed :)

DC1010FA-E.jpg

but, but that's not "proper storage" here in the PRM...[laugh] Love that setup, where did you find that?

- - - Updated - - -

I recently just got outed by girlfriend to my mother about another firearm I just picked up. Coming from one angle is one thing, getting it from both women is downright a pain in the ass. Luckily, the one gun my gf can distinguish is my Ruger SR22 that she has. Everything else looks the same.

Usually I just dish it right back with the amount of clothes, Coach purses (I didn't know you need multiple for each season), and shoes. I also tell her that mine are an investment and will always hold value and one day her Coach purses could be worth jacks***. Some invest in the stock market, I invest in guns [smile]

Don't forget ammo is as good as gold these days too.[wink]

This thread is a testament as to why I'll never post on the internet the friendly banter my wife gives me when she looks into my safe. Yes she busts my balls over gun purchases like she didn't know about them. But her being my wife and in my marriage, everything goes past her because she's my friend.

These things don't need to be said. If the OP is posting this on the internet, it can be strongly assumed that the banter is in jest, and not in risk of a marriage.

I literally choked on a few posts in this thread (ChristATX)

Internet commandos have no bounds- they will pounce on your personal life and coach you how to be married.... from their mom's basement while being more innocent than the virgin mary.

And NES has them. I have been schooled today, and it was not good.

Last edited:
I go down to St Maarten every year and load up on "pandora" to keep it handy for my daughter, wife and anyone else. No one knows if it's real or not, not even me, but it's like 1/4 of the price as up here.

Back
Top Bottom