Cleaning care of an M1 carbine

Hi guys, I have two questions about the external care of a carbine. I purchased a beautiful IBM M1 carbine just a year ago. It is very clean.

I have used it, field stripped it and cleaned and oiled inside, but heard conflicting responses on cleaning the wood. I've been told to put nothing on it, but also heard use Murphy's oil soap or even wax to protect it.

Also, it's in my safe within the OD cloth bag it came in. Heard varying opinions on keeping it wrapped up vs letting it air.

Sorry if if these questions were asked in another post. This is my one and only carbine I want to keep it looking great!

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 57
I don't have any literature at the moment, but I keep my rifles uncovered and pistols unholstered with muzzles open. A heat-stick is a good idea if the guns are in a basement or exposed to seasonal variations of temperature and humidity. Now that I have a gun safe inside my office with central air conditioning, I don't have to worry so much about them. I do keep a couple of boxes dehumidifying powder in the gun safe.

For a collectible piece, most say not to touch the stock with cleaner or wax. After I clean any gun after shooting, I give it a quick wipe with with an oily rag and leave well enough alone.

T

Yes, the rag is only damp.

Last edited:
Murphy's does NOT protect the wood, but it will clean it well. You'll need to oil it afterwards or use some Tom's 1/3 wax.

I have been using these since ? http://www.amazon.com/Browning-VCI-Gun-Sock-Piece/dp/B001XKDDPK
You can also buy VCI emitters place them in cases, safes, gun box, bags https://www.theruststore.com/Bull-Frog-Emitter-Shield-P25.aspx

For care of your wood I would not put any oil on your stock intended for the metal .

I would recommend you read this article.
http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/wood-cleaning-article/

My basic care of my surplus wood is simple for the most part I just give them a wipe with a lint free micro cloth. Gets a lot of grim and hand oils off.
Then if I feel the wood looks dry I will give it a rub down of 100% pure tung oil.
I rub it in with my hands until it's well coated on ALL surfaces even the inside under the receiver. Butt plate and crevices, let it sit for 20min I then will wipe any excess off with lint free paper towels most better paper towels are lint free.

If you have a dirty stock tung oil and a folded up piece of cheese cloth do a great job of getting grim off.

In the end though I generally leave the wood alone unless I use the gun often.

Last edited:
The M1 carbine runs best when lubed with the blood of Nazis. That particular substance is pretty hard to come by nowadays however, so CLP does the trick nicely in a pinch.

014.jpg

Last edited:
The M1 carbine runs best when lubed with the blood of Nazis. That particular substance is pretty hard to come by nowadays however, so CLP does the trick nicely in a pinch.

014.jpg

Reminds me of something my great uncle said. The topic of WWII weapons came up. Great uncle gave the 1911 and Garand some high praise. When asked why he liked them so much he stated. " the only 2 weapons I used that functioned lubed with blood and sand". The conversation came to a weird silence as no one in the room could argue as no one had to experience that.

Good advice for when I get around to cleaning my "new" winchester stock. Can't wait to see how it will look. Thanks for the tips.

014.jpg

love the collection!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Very helpful!!

mac1911, thanks for the links; I'll check them out!

Back
Top Bottom