• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning an old blued AK

Hi all,

So I just picked up some Renaissance Wax to clean my old Polytech Legend. Was wondering if anyone had any tips for cleaning/what to clean with...?
Thanks,
Dan

I have a Polytech that I bought when the gun and an 1100 round case of ammo was $300.00. It's fired thousands of rounds and has never failed. You said you bought wax. Are you talking about cleaning the wood? If so I don't know what cleaner to use. I just put on a coat of paste wax every few cleanings. If you're talking about the bore, get a copper solvent. The gel stays where you put it better than the liquid.

Ren wax is usually for higher-end pieces. Museum pieces, nickeled firearms, nickel-silver Randall hilts and antler handles. It would certainly work to protect the blued Polytech finish, but I wouldn't use it as a cleaner.

How gentle are you trying to be, and why?

Last edited:
are you trying to clean the metal surfaces? Use 0000 steel wool and CLP or other gun oil and a rag to wipe it off.

I think OP is cleaning it up for sale... or auction.
Good luck if so,

I love oiling Old Blue

Ralphie-shooting-black-bart-1024x576.jpg

Back
Top Bottom