• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning a mosin question

So I have done a fair amount of reading here and on other sites about cleaning the cosmoline off of rifles. As mentioned in another thread, I traded for several mosins. I was attempting to clean up the dirtiest of these last night, but after 2hrs of cleaning the bore it doesn't look like I have done anything. I don't think that this rifle has cosmoline still on it but I simply don't know. It's more like I am not 100% sure what cosmoline looks like even though I have seen pics on the web of rifles dipped in the stuff. When I brush out the bore using gun cleaner, and the swab it with a clean patch, the patch has a dark blue tint to it. I have never seen this before when cleaning new rifles. Like I said, after nearly two hours of cleaning the bore it still looks untouched. Thus, I wonder if this blue-colored stuff in the bore is cosmoline or perhaps something else? Any help would be appreciated since I am going crazy.

So I have done a fair amount of reading here and on other sites about cleaning the cosmoline off of rifles. As mentioned in another thread, I traded for several mosins. I was attempting to clean up the dirtiest of these last night, but after 2hrs of cleaning the bore it doesn't look like I have done anything. I don't think that this rifle has cosmoline still on it but I simply don't know. It's more like I am not 100% sure what cosmoline looks like even though I have seen pics on the web of rifles dipped in the stuff. When I brush out the bore using gun cleaner, and the swab it with a clean patch, the patch has a dark blue tint to it. I have never seen this before when cleaning new rifles. Like I said, after nearly two hours of cleaning the bore it still looks untouched. Thus, I wonder if this blue-colored stuff in the bore is cosmoline or perhaps something else? Any help would be appreciated since I am going crazy.

Cosmoline is not blue. It is like petroleum jelly. When I cleaned one of my mosins, I used turpentine and that took the cosmo off in seconds. So stop cleaning this because at this point you are not cleaning out cosmo. What you are seeing could be a reaction to what you are using to clean with something lining the bore.

I was using Hoppe's #9 solvent when brushing out the barrel.

Use turpentine. Hoppes is fine for cleaning normally, but you could use the extra kick of a concentrated solvent for the metal parts. Use swabs and not brushes. Plug one end and pour some down the bore. sit for a few minutes, then drain and swab. I assume you pulled the whole thing apart. If not, swab liberally instead of pouring.

Best thing about using CLP is you don't need to oil afterwards because you're doing it as you clean.

I've scrubbed bores with Hoppes and all kinds of cleaners until I had light grey patches only to run a wet patch with Break Free through the bore for protection and seen it come out almost black.

It also disolves cosmolene as does WD40.

The blue stuff is copper fouling that hoppies is cleaning off. Get some foaming bore cleaner and let it sit in the bore for a half a hour then clean with break free CLP until you get a Grey patch.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my M44. The copper cleaning solvent soaked patches kept coming out blue for days and days. Eventually I said screwed it, took it to the range and shot it. It shoots great even if the bore looks like shit.

Mosin cleaning

To get rid of the copper fouling in a Milsurp, get some JB Borepaste and use as instructed (oil on patch). Now when you run copper cleaner through gun it will not show copper fouling. Usually makes gun more accurate as a bonus...I had same problem with a K98 and could never get all copper out (12 runs of 7.62)...JB gets it all out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom