• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning a fully Alumnimum Suppressor?

NHCraigT

NES Member
Hi Guys, girls, and any other current gender-extension [smile]

I hope that I am able to get some good & safe cleaning suggestions. (I've looked around on the internet for quite a while now = and nothing but goose eggs).

I've had a 22LR suppressor for several years. Maybe about 300 rounds through it thus far (its on a 10/22).

I only paid $200 for the suppressor at a local retail gun shop (aside from the stamp cost) = as the manufacturer is no longer around, and the unit does not separate into any parts for breakdown.

Knowing that many solvents will severely damage aluminum, what are the safe options for cleaning this completely aluminum suppressor?

Thanks

Avoid anything acidic, ie: simple green or any other citrus based cleaners. Sounds like soaking it in a petrol based solvent would be the best answer, drying it thoroughly with compressed air prior to reuse.

Automatic transmission fluid might be the best to use as most transmission housings are aluminum and they don't degrade from within.

300 rounds? that's a quiet weekend for most of us.

Keep in mind that your used cleaning solution will be a really nasty hazard. With acetone you can just let it evaporate in open air and then dispose of the tiny amount of lead oxide sludge left behind in an appropriate manner.

Solvents get the lube and powder out, won't do much for firmly stuck lead. OTOH, lead is mostly a problem when it builds up and works loose in chunks, so don't worry about getting out every last touch of lead.

Great suggestions. Will look into all of them.

Individual thanks made, and an overall thread-thank you to all.

Im just curiois, i dont have any suppressors to clean.

I wondering why everyone would avoid some of the "acidic cleaners"
Id dunk mine and scrub in 30 or 60% HCI acid, then neutralize.if i had cans and if i had cans they wouldnt be aluminim in the first place

Its what we use on paper thin aluminium radiators... but id also accept cans dont last forever.

Call your legislator and ask them to support S.733, the 2017 SHARE Act, and also the stand-alone silencer bill, aka “Hearing Protection Act".
Its what we use on paper thin aluminium radiators... but id also accept cans dont last forever.
If each radiator required a multi-month waiting period and $200 federal tax stamp, people would be a lot more careful about how they go about maintaining them!

Simple Green 13406 Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner, 1 Gallon Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VXU7OE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_BPUSzbQS8RN5N

Simple Green Extreme Aircraft is safe for aluminium.

do you have an ultra sonic cleaner?

Yes, I have an ultrasonic cleaner.

I had thought about using it with a cleaning agent. The only thing that held me back before (the suggestions on here came along), was because I did not want to the use the ultra sonic cleaner, with an agent = that might damage the exterior finish, or cause corrosion on the aluminum suppressor internals.

FWIW - I just picked-up a Gemtech Blackside 45 today (I just finished up on the whole 10-month wait time), and that is also all aluminum, so that makes 2 of them now (that are aluminum), that will need cleanings .....

Last edited:
OK. I found this info. at the GemTech site:

https://gemtech.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/33/product_id/15/

As a rule, Gemtech reccommends against any effort at cleaning this suppressor other than brushing the mounting threads with a hydrocarbon based solvent. Neglect is far less harmful than improper cleaning or use of improper cleaning agents.

Water based cleaners will damage aluminum. There are no perfect solvents for cleaning the suppressor or removing the carbon deposited on the internal parts by the burning of the powder. The factory recommendation is for using “Ed’s Red” (equal parts automatic transmission fluid, mineral spirits, kerosene, and acetone) is among the better solvents for suppressor cleaning.

Never use solvents containing ammonia, which can damage aluminum parts. This includes Hoppe’s, Sweets, and “GI” bore cleaner.

SERVICING THE L.I.D. (Recoil booster) Having moving parts, the L.I.D. will require periodic disassembly and cleaning. Please refer to the illustration below.
Do not use a water-based cleaning solvent, such as SLIP-2000, Simple Green, MP-7 or similar materials.

Ultrasonic cleaners are of little or no value, because they require the use of water based solvents, many of which damage aluminum.
Hydrocarbon based solvents do not cavitate properly, a requirement for cleaning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom