• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clean burning 38 loads

Looking for a load that burns clean in a 38 revolver. Have been using 3.5gr with a 158 swc with tightgroup but gun is constantly filthy. Any recomendations for a clean burning round?

Thanks Dave

I've had good luck with Winchester 231 for light .38 special loads in a S&W 586 behind a wad cutter. Seems very clean to me.

Two weekends ago, I loaded a few hundred rounds of .38 special with 148 gr wadcutters (cast), and Titegroup powder.

We fired them all, and the gun only required "normal" cleaning to bring it back to pre-firing condition.

If you're not crimping properly, you will get LOTS of burning powder blow back, making for a MESS! You really need to do a firm crimp!

Were these cast bullets or plated/copper jacket type?

another +1 for Bullseye for Unique...although i end up cleaning my wheelguns on a regular basis anyways, so i cant speak for long-term cleanliness.

I have found that a lot of the filth seems to be from the cast bullets I was using. Must be the lube. So far I really like 3.0 of Bullseye behind a 125 plated Berrys bullet. Clean and accurate. Will chrony this load and work up some hotter loads to shoot pins with. Any other suggestions keep them coming. Thanks Dave

Not to be contrarian here, but "clean" is very over rated.

You're going to clean the gun anyway. Does a little (or even a lot) more fouling make it that much harder?

I mean, the barrel can't get that dirty because you're going to shoot it clean. Unless you're shooting black powder, with a revolver or any reliable auto, you're going to have to go a long time before fouling interferes with the operation of the handgun.

Clean or not, find a load that's accurate and reliable and run with it.

Looking for a load that burns clean in a 38 revolver. Have been using 3.5gr with a 158 swc with tightgroup but gun is constantly filthy. Any recomendations for a clean burning round?

Thanks Dave

For mild loads with lead or plated bullets I find the cleanest burning are American Select, WST or VV N-320. While slightly smokier than the previous choices, I have opted most recently for Trail Boss. One advantage of Trail Boss is that it is vitually impossible to double charge a case.
With lead bullets you will alwys get a lot more smoke than with plated or JHP's. In my experience the combination of lead bullets and Titegroup is a recipe for maximum smoke.

Last edited:
Not to be contrarian here, but "clean" is very over rated.

You're going to clean the gun anyway. Does a little (or even a lot) more fouling make it that much harder?

I mean, the barrel can't get that dirty because you're going to shoot it clean. Unless you're shooting black powder, with a revolver or any reliable auto, you're going to have to go a long time before fouling interferes with the operation of the handgun.

Clean or not, find a load that's accurate and reliable and run with it.

I not concerned about the gun getting cleaned as much as the tremendous amount of smoke going downrange and the residue that I and the bench am getting covered with at the firing line. The combo of Titegroup and lead is the worst I ever loaded for smoke and most of it was the lead bullet lube. Plated bullets almost got rid of all the smoke.

As Bob_J said, make sure you are crimping good.

Here's the test(at a shooting range of course!):

Stand about 5 feet from a clean piece of white paper. Fire a round.
If you have only a small hole, you are good.
If, however, you have a small hole with a neat looking spiral shape (black/gray) around it, the crimp isn't tight enough. The spiral shape is made by still burning powder spiraling down your lands and grooves and getting deposited on the paper. Tighten the crimp, and all the powder burns in the case, and only clear gas goes down your barrel.

Your mention of lots of smoke indicates that crimp might not be good.

I not concerned about the gun getting cleaned as much as the tremendous amount of smoke going downrange and the residue that I and the bench am getting covered with at the firing line. The combo of Titegroup and lead is the worst I ever loaded for smoke and most of it was the lead bullet lube. Plated bullets almost got rid of all the smoke.

I'll try the paper idea but I can see a good crimp and with only changing the bullet the smoke almost went away and with changing to Bullseye from Titegroup there is almost none at all. The fun of working up a new load for a new gun.
Thanks

+1 on the crimp thing (I know that wasn't your issue) I found that out through experimentation (I'm still new to reloading)

also, unique seems to be fairly clean.

Would this lack of proper crimp also result in unburnt powder being left behind in the case when loading with Blue Dot? I've been told from more than one source that BD has the problem regardless, but I'm wondering if the issue can be alleviated. This would be loading .38 Special of course.

I run a variety of charges of IMR 700x in 38 special target loads depending on the bullet. I find that the small powder charge spread out over the inside of the case doesn't always burn well with the smaller charges. There's a lot of air in them cases when you get down in the 3.0gr range. I'd thought about using a fiber filler (pillow stuffing) to keep the powder to the rear of the cartridge as I'd seen in one of the reloading manuals I have. It is possible a magnum primer could give a cleaner burn on such a small powder charge. I use 700x with a compressed load in a 9mm round that burns very clean.

Back
Top Bottom