• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clays Shotgun for Wife

LittleCalm

NES Member
I know the answer but am going to ask anyway. Wife wants to join me for occasional trap shooting. Just us and our little auto clay thrower. I bet she would go a handful of times throughout the year. Trying to make it a family outing. I have an auto loader set up for me and I am left handed. She is right handed. Seems like the only right thing to do is get her a shotgun of her own. Just kind of an expensive proposition if she doesn't go a lot but I don't see it being feasible to have to adjust the cast shim in mine if we were to take turns while at the range.

Remington 1100 competition synethic. Soft shooter and can be adjustable for a good fit. Recoil reduced and adjustable comb too. About $1100

I know the answer but am going to ask anyway. Wife wants to join me for occasional trap shooting. Just us and our little auto clay thrower. I bet she would go a handful of times throughout the year. Trying to make it a family outing. I have an auto loader set up for me and I am left handed. She is right handed. Seems like the only right thing to do is get her a shotgun of her own. Just kind of an expensive proposition if she doesn't go a lot but I don't see it being feasible to have to adjust the cast shim in mine if we were to take turns while at the range.

is she right eye dominate?
I bought my wife a browning gold sporting clays and it was a little long in LOP but other wise a nice gun shes 5'4"
maybe a browing BPS micro trap ?

I was in exactly the same situation. Ended up buying my wife a nice used Remington 12 ga. 1100 skeet from a friend, later put a Rem-Choke barrel on it. Nice soft shooter.
She shoots it well (on the rare occasions she shoots), and I've used it to introduce a few of her never-held-a-gun-before friends to shooting.
All in all, I'm glad it is in the collection. I've probably got all of $400 into it. With neutral cast I can even shoot it myself if I want.

Thanks to all. I'm not so much looking for something super inexpensive and I have a decent grasp on the range of options between $750 and $2200 (though will likely stick with a semi-auto which means it's easy to stay in the sub-$1200 range, certainly if buying used). Really just looking to validate my assumption that you can't really use one gun for two people when one of us is a lefty and the other is a righty. Yes, wife is right handed and right eye dominant.

If your not overly price sensitive then look at the Syren XLR5 Sporting. Built as a Ladies gun from the ground up.

Another option would be a Beretta 391 Target RL (reduced length), or even an SKB IS300 Youth Target.

All of these guns use a shim system that allows you to tweak cast and drop. About as close as you can get to customs fitting without the expense of a stock maker.

Last edited:

Similar situation here, and this is where I'm at:

http://www.franchiusa.com/affinity-catalyst-shotgun

A young woman has one on my shotgun team, it is a great gun in the $4K to $5K range.

The Syren XLR5 is a semi auto. Peace Dale Shooting Preserve is one of the area dealers and sells them for about $1650 (a bit more if you need a LH action)

Check out the Stoeger condor competition. It is a great entry level clay gun that is priced very reasonably.

Thanks. If I go O/U I'll get a LH silver pigeon sporting 30". I have been reluctant to get an O/U because of the increased cost and increased recoil. The autoloaders I can shoot all day.

Last edited:
Thanks. If I go O/U I'll get a LH silver pigeon sporting 30". I have been reluctant to get an O/U because of the increased cost and increased recoil. The autoloaders I can shoot all day.

Should not be much more "recoil" stop using those words like recoil , kick, hurt, pain also double up on ear protection plugs with muffs over ....you will be surprised how well it reduces precieved recoil.

Also they make light loads 1 oz target loads are nice.
Roughly from a 12 g gun weighing 7.5 lbs you will have about 23ish foot lbs of energy coming back at you with a standard 1 1/8oz 1200fps load. A 1oz load will be about 18ftlbs.

If you really want lite loads try some of the Winchester lite 7/8oz at 900fps. Powder puffs and they crush targets.

Key to shooting shotgun clays is fit. Women especially need to have a shotgun with the correct pitch or no matter the shotgun it will snap up into their cheek.

Thanks Mac. I know it's all overstated. Currently have an a400 which has zero recoil (at least zero perceived" recoil) and no "kick" either, and that is with standard 1 1/8 target loads in the 1100-1200 fps range. I realize there are reduced loads as well, which obviously have no issues in an O/U. Problem is I like the feel of the auto and know exactly where this is heading, i.e. Getting an auto for the wife and an O/U for me. Going to be broke!

Thanks Mac. I know it's all overstated. Currently have an a400 which has zero recoil (at least zero perceived" recoil) and no "kick" either, and that is with standard 1 1/8 target loads in the 1100-1200 fps range. I realize there are reduced loads as well, which obviously have no issues in an O/U. Problem is I like the feel of the auto and know exactly where this is heading, i.e. Getting an auto for the wife and an O/U for me. Going to be broke!

I,have yet to shoulder the a400 I know they have a hydraulic reducer in the stock which will give you a,nice smooth push. I have the Precision Fit Stock on my Citori Trap not so,much for recoil reduction but it's the cheapest way to get a custom fit with out spending a lot. Plus I'm a lefty also.

Most women even though they are "smaller" generally have need for a longer LOP but a short grip to trigger length. Also the toe of the recoil pad needs to be out more and the pitch a bit more pitch drop at comb needs to be less also as,women tend to have longer necks.
Honestly for casual shooting a browning BPS trap will be great IMHO or find a used 3901RL

^^^ I love my BPS and thought about getting a trap barrel (slug gun w/scope now) but found the 391 Trap for an attractive price at KTP so I went that direction. ^^^

Another option would be a Beretta 391 Target RL (reduced length)

Does this gun even exist? I've only ever seen them out of stock or in a pdf on beretta's website. Its nearly perfect for my gf. What would be actually perfect would be an A400 excel RL with kickdown.

Does this gun even exist? I've only ever seen them out of stock or in a pdf on beretta's website. Its nearly perfect for my gf. What would be actually perfect would be an A400 excel RL with kickdown.

Back in the day they did, I owned one at one time. Today you'll have to be patient and keep your eye on GunBroker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my daughters a Benelli Montefeltro in 20 ga. I bought the model with two stocks and the smaller one is very comfortable for the girls. I have been using it for lessons with lady students and it has been very popular. Can be pricey though.

Back
Top Bottom