Clay Dot vs. Hodgdon Clays shotgun powder - Chrono Data

I'm always hearing you can use the same bushing for Clay Dot and Hodgson Clays to get the same velocity. That is not true. Here is the data:
  • 12 Gauge
  • AA HS hulls - Once fired
  • Windjammer Wads
  • Cheddite Primers
  • MEC 9000gn
  • #32 Bushing
  • 1-1/8 oz Shot
  • Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporting
Clay Dot:
1672187634793.png

Hodgson Clays:
1672187660426.png

I'll test again, but I believe that a #30 bushing will bring the HClays int the standard skeet 1145 ft/sec range.

I always go by weight in grains rather than bushing. Even with the same brand of powder if its from a new or different batch. And then I chrono and adjust accordingly to get 1150-1200 fps. The variation between posted specs and reality can be significant.

Clays looks more consistent so far.
The powder density might be off enough to get your results.
Hows your wad pressure? Are all the shells 1 fired? I wonder if the crimp on a older shell would have a impact.
I would be more inclined to tighten up the SD? I like CLAYS
Covers all the shotgun loading I do and 80% of my pistol loadings.

I always go by weight in grains rather than bushing. Even with the same brand of powder if its from a new or different batch. And then I chrono and adjust accordingly to get 1150-1200 fps. The variation between posted specs and reality can be significant.
I even have the same number bushings that meter 1/2 grain different. There is many inconsistent things in shot shell loading. It's frustrating at times.

Clays looks more consistent so far.
The powder density might be off enough to get your results.
Hows your wad pressure? Are all the shells 1 fired? I wonder if the crimp on a older shell would have a impact.
I would be more inclined to tighten up the SD? I like CLAYS
Covers all the shotgun loading I do and 80% of my pistol loadings.
Just a tiny bit for wad pressure. The marker barely moves at the bottom of the pull. Yes, all once fired from the same new box of AA.

I've found it nearly impossible to tighten up the standard deviation with these flake-style powders. There are enough outliers to throw that off the consistency. I do very little 12 gauge loading. Mostly .410 and 28 gauge, and some 20. I get real consistent load with Lil'Gun and HS-6 because they meter very well.

My main point about this is to not believe the loading data and notes. Always start at the bottom of the specs and move up. (I'm sure you know that) With this test, if somebody like hot loads using Clay Dot, and do what Alliant claims about using the same bushing, you will het a REAL hot load with Hodgson Clays.

Just a tiny bit for wad pressure. The marker barely moves at the bottom of the pull. Yes, all once fired from the same new box of AA.

I've found it nearly impossible to tighten up the standard deviation with these flake-style powders. There are enough outliers to throw that off the consistency. I do very little 12 gauge loading. Mostly .410 and 28 gauge, and some 20. I get real consistent load with Lil'Gun and HS-6 because they meter very well.

My main point about this is to not believe the loading data and notes. Always start at the bottom of the specs and move up. (I'm sure you know that) With this test, if somebody like hot loads using Clay Dot, and do what Alliant claims about using the same bushing, you will het a REAL hot load with Hodgson Clays.
Correct your always supposed to start 10% below max , right?

Maybe actully weigh out the charges on a scale and retest?
I never seen clay dot so Im not aware of any differences.

My mec9000 is not the most consistent in powder drops but it does not seem to stray to far from good enough.

Correct your always supposed to start 10% below max , right?

Maybe actully weigh out the charges on a scale and retest?
I never seen clay dot so Im not aware of any differences.

My mec9000 is not the most consistent in powder drops but it does not seem to stray to far from good enough.
10% below max sounds reasonable.
I used to manually weigh in my (shot shell) testing, but I gave that up because I'll never weigh while mass loading. I just find what bushing gives me the average velocity closest to 1145 ft/sec, and run with it. I just don't like it when Alliant claims you can use the same bushing with both powders when I'm finding to use a #32 bushing for ClayDot and #30 for Hodgson Clays. If somebody loads hot clay dot, and puts HClays in the hopper, it will be way too hot, and possibly ejected from a tournament, if somebody files a grievance (or whatever that's called).

Yeah, I agree about the Mec9000. I get decent results. Could be better, but good enough for the girls I go out with. :)

10% below max sounds reasonable.
I used to manually weigh in my (shot shell) testing, but I gave that up because I'll never weigh while mass loading. I just find what bushing gives me the average velocity closest to 1145 ft/sec, and run with it. I just don't like it when Alliant claims you can use the same bushing with both powders when I'm finding to use a #32 bushing for ClayDot and #30 for Hodgson Clays. If somebody loads hot clay dot, and puts HClays in the hopper, it will be way too hot, and possibly ejected from a tournament, if somebody files a grievance (or whatever that's called).

Yeah, I agree about the Mec9000. I get decent results. Could be better, but good enough for the girls I go out with. :)
The claim must be with in reason
Also. MEC used to have a pretty decent load data and its amazing how many combinations there can be with shotshell.
I would weigh out the charges and see if there is a difference.
If the weighed charges produce results with in reasonable closeness then its a density issue between the powders.
That primer might also deliver a better “burn to one powder vs other.

Back
Top Bottom