• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classifieds Suck Lately

Makes me wonder how S&W can sell these with a $75 rebate, considering whole sale price to dealers.

Because shields arent exactly a pricey gun to begin with. And shitloads of people will never apply for the rebate. I bet their payout rate is significantly less than 100%.

Because they sell a multitude of other products too. . . Shields are not everything.

Not just Shields but all their inventory is sitting from what I hear. Reliable source has it they are going to lay off 350 employees. Gun sales are way down since Trump, that's the word from a couple of dealers.

Some of the classified ads seem based on the premise that prospective buyers are sophisticated enough to seek out bargains buying used but totally incapable of researching the new price on-line.

Because shields arent exactly a pricey gun to begin with. And shitloads of people will never apply for the rebate. I bet their payout rate is significantly less than 100%.

This is true of every product and is the reason they offer rebates.

When looking for something, people say "wow $200 rebate!" And then Are too damn lazy to mail it in. This is a huge profit for companies.

I've given up on the Classifieds here since I'm tired of searching through each ad to see where each item is located. I'll see something interesting, but then check the ad to find out it's located in Mass. If the location was in the title, it would be worth looking again.

I would bet the greatest # of weapons change hands MA to MA in the classifieds here. It has almost 5x as many people as Maine, ditto for NH, 10x Vermont, 6-7x RI and double CT (which is poorly represented here).

I'll throw in free jerky with my sales. What are you guys looking for?? LOL I've got a safe full of stuff I need to cut back on. [rofl]

The stuff youre looking for gets held onto into Mass for whatever reason. I know what you mean.
Surefire way to get me to click on a classified link here?

1. Anything from a premium manufactuer. (Noveske, Larue, etc)
2. HK Rifle Related (MP5 = Double CLICK AS FAST AS POSSIBLE)
3. Premium Bolt Action Rifles (AO, AI, GAP, etc)

Those guns just dont get sold in this state very often. People hold onto them. Shrug.

The stuff youre looking for gets held onto into Mass for whatever reason. I know what you mean.
Surefire way to get me to click on a classified link here?

1. Anything from a premium manufactuer. (Noveske, Larue, etc)
2. HK Rifle Related (MP5 = Double CLICK AS FAST AS POSSIBLE)
3. Premium Bolt Action Rifles (AO, AI, GAP, etc)

Those guns just dont get sold in this state very often. People hold onto them. Shrug.

It's not "the MA thing" so much, it's the reality is that people who have those things have money. People who have money generally find that selling guns is kind of annoying and generally a huge waste of time, even if they don't need the gun, they'd rather just hang onto it.

I kinda spoke about this in another thread- "transaction cost". When people get busy the value of time becomes more and more apparent- and a lot of the guys that have a lot of money, also often have the least amount of free time. The dude with the AI that goes shooting 3 times a year, the guy that would sell it but doesn't need the money- if you really want that gun you better be close friends with him and do it at his convenience, because pretty much anything else is kinda costing him money or already past the threshold of annoyance.

-Mike

Last edited:
It's not "the MA thing" so much, it's the reality is that people who have those things have money. People who have money generally find that selling guns is kind of annoying and generally a huge waste of time, even if they don't need the gun, they'd rather just hang onto it.

I kinda spoke about this in another thread- "transaction cost". When people get busy the value of time becomes more and more apparent- and a lot of the guys that have a lot of money, also often have the least amount of free time. The dude with the AI that goes shooting 3 times a year, the guy that would sell it but doesn't need the money- if you really want that gun you better be close friends with him and do it at his convenience, because pretty much anything else is kinda costing him money or already past the threshold of annoyance.

-Mike

Agreed, but expanding past the Classifieds here, the stores are the same in the state too.

All of them. Same exact inventory. Bodyguards, M&P's, Sig's, and some M1A's. Even before the so called ban, everyone was stocking the same exact AR's from the same exact manufactures.

No one is bringing in anything interesting minus a few stand outs.

Agreed, but expanding past the Classifieds here, the stores are the same in the state too.

All of them. Same exact inventory. Bodyguards, M&P's, Sig's, and some M1A's. Even before the so called ban, everyone was stocking the same exact AR's from the same exact manufactures.

No one is bringing in anything interesting minus a few stand outs.

This is because most dealers are too lazy to go beyond whatever the poop/dreck/pablum is that Camfour or whoever it is is selling that month, they just press buttons on the MA compliant stuff and the Camfour truck brings it to their shop, etc, unless a customer asks them to. There might be other stuff they can sell but they just don't want to invest the energy in determining its legality so they take the cheap way out and trust the judgement of the distributor (which is foolish, for a whole bunch of reasons... but I digress. ) Those systems the dealers use with camfour et al, probably also keep track of statistics. So dealers keep buying "the stuff that sold well" and ignore a lot of other stuff.

The other problem is a lot of shops have figured out that most people only buy certain stuff, and the stuff that is cool or special is only valued by less than like 10% of the buyer base. If you buy that stuff on a lark, good luck selling it. Say for example, we set MA bullshit aside, and I know that the demographic that comes in my shop usually will buy a handgun up to about $800 or so. I'm not going to waste a lot of capital putting $1500 1911s in my display cases, because I know the one guy that sees it, that appreciates it, there's literally a 50% chance he's just going to fondle it in the store, then go on gunbroker anyways and cut me out, even if he's only "saving" $50 (and I use that term loosely... someone might be saving less than that in a lot of cases!).

-Mike

Last edited:
I've always wondered, what are the people thinking who have the same ads up since 2012 and just keep bumping with no changes every week for five years? You see an ad with 20 pages of bumps it's pretty obvious it'll never sell.

I've never had a problem selling anything, but if I don't get a ton of interest at first I'll knock the price down until I do.

If any other non-green members are thinking of casually mentioning an item they'd like to sell, don't.

It's not fair to the people that support the site with a paid membership.

The most amusing are private sellers offering product for more than I can buy it for locally or online (without using any industry connections). Then there is the guy trying to sell a glass froster for which refills are no longer made.

Agreed - if I can buy your 'item' for equal or better prices at Four Seasons or The Gun Parlor, you're NOT trying to sell something - you're trying to justify keeping it. Folks should probably do some research before setting a price for their stuff, I'm not paying higher prices for 'used' items than what I can buy brand-new, and that includes unused ammo....even if you didn't open the box.

i avoid bidding like the plague. ie- ebay items that aren't buy now, or gunbroker type stuff. if i want to buy something i want to not waste 2 effin days worth of bidding to see the price skyrocket.

the whole market is pushing me towards an 07 and rezoning my barn FFS. especially for the fu9king $50/box primers "deals" in most shops in mass. nevermind the powder mark up too. (i cant make NH trips or cross-state trips as often as id like at the moment)

items will sit if the price is too high. i just think more people need to realize this in the classifieds.

I recently had a seller agree to sell an item on a Saturday and deliver it to me on Sunday. Then on Sunday, he says he can't come because of work but will call to make arrangements to meet on Monday. He avoids me most of Monday but finally tells me he sold the item to someone else. You meet all kinds on the classifieds, good and bad.

I'm having trouble selling my stuff to be honest. I get offers, asked to lower a low price, asked 21 questions about the gun and after I answer them all? ..."I have to talk to my wife."

Or my favorite, arrange to meet up in how ever many days and cancel the day of. When I plan on buying a gun from someone I want to meet up as soon as possible because I'm excited and because of that I have no problem traveling TO THEM. People want to haggle with me and then want me to make an hour delivery.

I didn't realize how much of a delight I was to deal with as a buyer until I started selling.

Maybe it was because the stuff I sold was a while ago,but I have only been screwed over once.I sold a LOT more stuff than my feedback suggests,most people never left feedback.

I had an agreement to sell something at a certain price and the GREEN MEMBER said he would send me a money order.A week goes by and still no money order so I PM him and ask him what's up.Says the USPS must have lost it,never heard anything back from the guy.Instead of saying he changed his mind,he lies..I wouldn't have cared and said it's cool..But nooooo.

The buyer was a GREEN MEMBER,so to this day have no idea why people are so stuck up about paying vs non paying..Any idiot can come up with $22,but people around here seem to think $22 buys you instant cred and you are an honest person.

Maybe it was because the stuff I sold was a while ago,but I have only been screwed over once.I sold a LOT more stuff than my feedback suggests,most people never left feedback.

I had an agreement to sell something at a certain price and the GREEN MEMBER said he would send me a money order.A week goes by and still no money order so I PM him and ask him what's up.Says the USPS must have lost it,never heard anything back from the guy.Instead of saying he changed his mind,he lies..I wouldn't have cared and said it's cool..But nooooo.

The buyer was a GREEN MEMBER,so to this day have no idea why people are so stuck up about paying vs non paying..Any idiot can come up with $22,but people around here seem to think $22 buys you instant cred and you are an honest person.

So he got some of those patio bricks for free? I still am trying to dig up that ad, that was legendary.

-Mike

It's NES classified. Lots of different people with very different ideas about ethics and value. If I got butt hurt over every firm offer I received on "goose rules" items, Eddie Coyle would have banned me into the next democratic presidency.

I recently had someone live the meme

Buyer: is your frog still for sale?

Hmm. I bumped it an hour ago.

Me: yes

Buyer: what is your lowest price?

Me: it is for sale for $4.75. Make me an offer. If you lowball me I won't respond. Otherwise I will accept or counter. Also here is a link to goose rules.

Silence.

Maybe I lost a sale. Maybe I avoided 20 more inane PMs. I will never know.

I have never had an issue using the classifieds. Everything I posted has sold except for one guitar. Still have a sweet trailer available for trailer week in Laconia though.

Back
Top Bottom