Classifieds Slump?

Is it just me or has there been a slump in the classifieds over the last few months?

Not much being posted in general.

I have also seen some great deals (relatively speaking vs. the last few years) that keep getting bumped.

Is everyone broke or what?

Well maybe its just a saturation point? People who are buying, are looking for specific things rather than general commodity guns that everyone and their buddy already has?

If they were THAT good a deal you would have bought them all, right?

i have not seen to many deals. I also think alot of people are holding onto any gun that could possibly be hard to get again. The market seems slow especially for any older used guns. I also feel a lot of people over paid for many guns in the last few years and cant unload them without a large loss. I posted many 22s for sale at 3 clubs and up until about 5 years ago they would have sold quickly. The newer gun crowd doesnt seem to want a 50 years old 22lr

If only I had the $ to buy every good deal that I saw!

I know what you mean. My thought is that there is "that is a price that is well in the low end of fair price historically for X" and then there is "Why is noone else buying this? It is such a good deal I can buy and flip this easily! I will likely never see this priced similar again!".

The later would be something like a BT 99 with full adjustable stock, set of chokes, and in great condition that I know is in perfect working order for $500 or less. Something like that is so below market that I would buy it even though I absolutely have 0 need for it. If it was $800+ I would not bother pursuing it even though it would still be a good deal.

Tbh, I havent checked the classifieds in a while. For the longest time it seemed like $850 Glocks with everything else being used stuff priced at 98% of retail.

There have been a few good deals recently. There was a gen 3 g17 for 425 the other day. If I wasn’t broke I might have picked it up. I’ve been browsing shotguns and most of the desirable ones for me are just a bit too much. Same for pocket revolvers. Also to reiterate, I’m currently broke.

You mean $400 for an anderson lower isnt moving the needle?
State needs a violent revolt. Nothing churns the classifieds like a little civil war.

Since the forum upgrade the classifieds definitely took a step back. But also not so many deals here lately. Most guns are at regular retail and some are even used. Why not buy new if the difference is like $10?

Since the forum upgrade the classifieds definitely took a step back. But also not so many deals here lately. Most guns are at regular retail and some are even used. Why not buy new if the difference is like $10?

Yeah minus the "don't make'em like they used to" guns a lot of stuff still in production is just a commodity that if its used it won't move without a price motivator.

Aside from all the "pre-Healy" listings I think there's been a little bit of a price/value slump that has people hanging onto things. There are still some deals posted now and then, but they move very fast. I've been a fan of the classifieds over the years, but if you want something interesting there are other better routes to go.

Why not buy new if the difference is like $10?

My experience with selling used is you can't get a nibble unless you're 10% off. A year back I sold a popular off roster lf9s pro because I didn't like the feel after 150 rounds- figured I'd at least get what I paid out of it which was maybe $10 more than the compliant lc9.

All my responses were 10% off, rude emails, or people telling me what I was selling was illegal in MA. I finally dumped it after a month and a half (maybe 2) in a McDonald's parking lot.

Rifles are probably a different story- there's two schools of thought there- sell ridiculous or hold, so anything not bolt action seems really stale right now.

this also, for example i see SAI M1a used for more than you can buy new. then you see marlin model 60s for the price of new guns or sometimes more and the 10/22 market has down this also to a point. You caan get a better value buying a used tricked out KIDD than a used factory 10/22 ? makes little sense but it is what it is.
A deal is only as good as you feel it is when the money exchanges hands.

this also, for example i see SAI M1a used for more than you can buy new. then you see marlin model 60s for the price of new guns or sometimes more and the 10/22 market has down this also to a point. You caan get a better value buying a used tricked out KIDD than a used factory 10/22 ? makes little sense but it is what it is.
A deal is only as good as you feel it is when the money exchanges hands.

I think there also is a urgency factor to how things move. If I can get a deal on a gun in a season that I won't shoot it then I might buy it. If I know I can get the same deal in the season where I would use it, that is better because it is future (less valuable) $$ and I have complete freedom of funds in between in case my priorities or needs change.

Link up some of the good deals, I'm always in the market. I just checked the first page of handguns and it's your typical guns that are $50 less than buying new, oddball caliber/collectors items that no one wants, and overpriced glocks.

I’m seeing less because with the new format I’ve “ignored” a few of the dealers who continually bump items that they originally posted years ago and a particular GS who got a little too close to the AG’s office......

So $150 preban mags aren't your thing then? Pshh excuuuse me.... most classifieds are quite upside down, and in my experience, negotiations don't happen. I've made some offers, and been ignored, or turned down, or accepted, but not countered (in last few years bought, sold, traded about 10 pistols here and elsewhere, all private).
Also I'm surprised anything moves from lgs, as every shop in MA has the same 10-12 guns on the shelf. It's sad really.

So $150 preban mags aren't your thing then? Pshh excuuuse me.... most classifieds are quite upside down, and in my experience, negotiations don't happen. I've made some offers, and been ignored, or turned down, or accepted, but not countered (in last few years bought, sold, traded about 10 pistols here and elsewhere, all private).
Also I'm surprised anything moves from lgs, as every shop in MA has the same 10-12 guns on the shelf. It's sad really.

I can't speak to things moving in private sales or negotiations there. However, I think in shops some do mostly new so you wouldn't know if things move or not unless you see the sale (assuming they have one in the back vs selling the display) and the ones that deal a lot of used guns I think it is an undercurrent of things they don't even get around to posting it online as it sells quickly so you would never even know it was there unless you saw it.

Back
Top Bottom