Classified translator

I find selling used stuff so distasteful that I rarely do it and when I do I underprice so I don't feel bad. I have friends who try to sell for 10% off the retail that nobody pays - thinking that they will find a buyer motivated enough to buy used, but not motivated enough to know the real shop price for items.

I find selling used stuff so distasteful....
what i find distasteful is people trying to sell shit that should be karma-ed. how many times have i've seen someone nickle and dime 6 pieces of old range pick up brass? or some kind of obsolete grips no one wants any more. and then they try to pork ya 7 bucks in postage. some folks should do some soul searching.

Classified Translator:

rare = probably not so rare, and something nobody cares about. or just simply ugly. people recognize real rare, so don't bother. and your special, unique serial number doesn't typically qualify as rare. also, something isn't rare just because everybody else on earth was too smart to touch it.

bump x 1 = normal, maybe your potential buyer was away for a couple weeks

bump x 2 = okay, maybe your potential buyer wasn't paying their internet bill and got shut off for a while

bump x 3+ = your potential buyer has died

safe queen = never liked it much, maybe some other sucker-er-buyer will take it

price drop = the original price was outrageous, maybe some buyer will step in for this slightly less outrageous price

updated = forgot to mention that the barrel is slightly warped. and the action is rusted shut.

list of features = not necessary. we're gun nuts-er-enthusiasts, no need to list 100's of features. we know the Colt 1911A1 comes with its very own grip safety and barrel "system"

minor blemish = scratch

minor scratch = gouge

minor gouge = missing stock

great truck gun = gun for sale was dragged by truck along rt 128

will sell separately = if you thought that the price was good, read the fine print. the price includes the box, manual, and frame. if you want the slide, barrel, and innards, that will really cost you!

package = comes with the gun, box, AND even the manual!

"check the prices on Gunbroker" = rip off

Feel free to add to it............

[rofl][laugh2][party] FABULOUS! Great job!!

All in good fun of course...

Price drop!! = My price is still retarded, but at least I feel better now

First PM at my price takes it = please somebody make me an offer - I have no idea what it's worth

Plus Goodies/Extras = I can't justify the price I am asking, so I wanted to add a bunch of items that I found in the basement that I don't need and I think goes with this gun

I'll post picture later = 1) I am way to lazy to add a picture and you're stupid if you don't know what it looks like or 2) i need to figure out how to get the best lighting that doesn't show all the scratches, probably this weekend when it is sunny outside

I tried it but not for me = impulse buy that the wife called me out on - I am sleeping on the couch until I sell it

Selling for a friend = My friend is too cheap to pay $21 for an NES membership

Scope, trigger, laser range finder, light, bipod ammo in picture not included = wanted to show how tacticool I am but in reality I am too lazy to take a picture of what I am actually selling.

And here's a new one:

Glock: rare in Massachusetts (not anymore, it seems that 1/2 of the handguns for sale are Glocks)

and

Collectible genuine Glock case

and

if you're not budging on the price after the 27th bump, maybe you need to stop and think...........................or perhaps start

BNIB .50 CAL, Fully Shootamatic, Pre-Ban, Pre-Maura, with Bounce-aroni stock and Diamond-Tech Super-Mega Trigger

Translation: IDGAF.

I might occasionally take a stroll through the classifieds, but finding something I might actually consider buying at a price I might actually be willing to pay would absolutely blow my mind out (no pun intended).

I’m not cheap, and if like something I’m going to find it and get it. As much as I enjoy this sight and it’s content, it ain’t no place to shop, that’s for damn sure.

BTW: Don’t buy that .50 listed above, I think it’s a trap...

And:

I have a special gun in .461.9B caliber, a fun shooter. And it's only $300!

Ignore the fact that it's worth about $7 in the Gun Values book, and you have a better chance of Lady Gaga giving you a lap dance than finding ammo for it for under $17/rd.

Last edited:
I would dispute the "safe queen" comment because if someone has 40+ guns, there isn't the time or always enough money to shoot them all. I still have NIB guns in my safes.
I have 2 AR's and a shotgun still in the original boxes. The AR's are actually still separated uppers and lowers. I have a 1911 I bought used, shot a few times, bought an E-series, haven't shot the other in 5+ years. Lady Radtekk's Mustang 380 hasn't seen natural sunlight in the same period of time.

Original condition = never cleaned
I have an 8 year old WASR like that, about 2k rounds so far...

It’s fair to trash certain types of sellers but I’ll admit that I’m a big fan of the NES classifieds. They’re not what they used to be, but I’ve grabbed some great deals over the years so it’s hard to complain.
I bought a Henry 44mag Golden Boy from a member here, with scope, for $400 cash.

Last edited:
When I read rare I don’t bother looking, if it’s truly rare than I won’t use it and it will become a safe queen and then I’ll just sell it a year later.

but it’s typically the classified rare

Rare is for steaks.

Rare on classifieds is a myth. If it was actually rare you'd be auctioning it. [laugh]

If I had to put a number on a truly "rare" gun, I'd say 10,000 or less of that specific model of gun from the factory or that are here in the US. A factory-spec commercial Winchester-Lee rifle is a rare gun, there were around 5,000 of those made more than a century ago. Browning imported 1,848 G-series FALs from FN into the US - so a Browning G-series FAL is a rare gun. An honest-to-God SVD is rare here in the US because around a hundred came into the US in 1994; same story with functioning Zastava M76s and M77s (not talking about Century abortions).

Like you eluded to, though, if a seller knows its rare, he doesn't need clickbait to sell the gun. People who have very nice things generally know where to buy and thus sell those nice things.

Since the site is predominantly populated by non free state dwellers, I mostly look at the ads to laugh. Funny stuff.

Take your pick, rare or safe queen. Both usually priced within $50 of what one could buy new.
My favorite is priced to sell, only 500 rounds down the pipe and it’s being listed for more than what the store is selling it for.

I wonder if people even look to see what they sell for or just make up numbers. I’m guessing the latter.

My favorite is priced to sell, only 500 rounds down the pipe and it’s being listed for more than what the store is selling it for.

I wonder if people even look to see what they sell for or just make up numbers. I’m guessing the latter.
My guess is those sellers hitting the clientele that will not go to the store for guns, ever. Whatever.

This all day long. Though there is no need to go to the "store" If you do that your wasting time gas, and getting the wrong actual pricing at a brick and mortar in MA.

Go online.... I mean christ....go to wikiarms. If its available online with the touch of a mouse, 10 places for 500 dollars new, and your not selling it for less than 400......your an idiot and youll be bumping thing thing all day long.

That said there are some pretty cheap fxcks here....and I've heavily discounted some low round count safe queens that still don't sell, and brought them up to KTP and got more than I was asking for here in store credit.

When I read rare I don’t bother looking, if it’s truly rare than I won’t use it and it will become a safe queen and then I’ll just sell it a year later.

but it’s typically the classified rare
I struggle with this. Occasionally there are some hard to find firearms in really good condition. Not really rare....because hundreds of thousands were made, but they don't make them anymore, and they are in very near new condition.

Typically these are old hunting iron type guns. Some priced for multiples of what they sold new for, but that's the market.

My problem is......and I'll admit its very gay......I won't want to hunt hard with it or scratch it because its a beautiful time piece. Yet I don't want to be a collector. I just find these things hard to pass up because they are hard to get in good condition, which in its own way makes them rare. Typically though, these do appreciate in value over time, unlike your typical synthetic stocked catalog gun.

For instance, i just parted ways with a Marlin Guide gun in 450 Marlin. Will probably never be made again, and they probably didn't make a lot of them in 450. Not a Remlin either Remington never made them, and I doubt Ruger will either. It went to a Marlin collector for double what I paid for it. It sat in my safe for probably 10 years and I fired half a box out of it, because firing a short 6 pound lever gun with a ported barrel.......was a less than pleasurable experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom