• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classified translator

ridleyman

NES Member
Classified Translator:

rare = probably not so rare, and something nobody cares about. or just simply ugly. people recognize real rare, so don't bother. and your special, unique serial number doesn't typically qualify as rare. also, something isn't rare just because everybody else on earth was too smart to touch it.

bump x 1 = normal, maybe your potential buyer was away for a couple weeks

bump x 2 = okay, maybe your potential buyer wasn't paying their internet bill and got shut off for a while

bump x 3+ = your potential buyer has died

safe queen = never liked it much, maybe some other sucker-er-buyer will take it

price drop = the original price was outrageous, maybe some buyer will step in for this slightly less outrageous price

updated = forgot to mention that the barrel is slightly warped. and the action is rusted shut.

list of features = not necessary. we're gun nuts-er-enthusiasts, no need to list 100's of features. we know the Colt 1911A1 comes with its very own grip safety and barrel "system"

minor blemish = scratch

minor scratch = gouge

minor gouge = missing stock

great truck gun = gun for sale was dragged by truck along rt 128

will sell separately = if you thought that the price was good, read the fine print. the price includes the box, manual, and frame. if you want the slide, barrel, and innards, that will really cost you!

package = comes with the gun, box, AND even the manual!

"check the prices on Gunbroker" = rip off

Feel free to add to it............

Last edited:
When I saw the title of this post I thought it might be about language translators doing sensitive work for the government. LOL "classified translator"

There was a shotgun that I was interested in, key word "was," that I messaged seller about here 6 weeks or so ago and got no response. It was originally listed way back in the fall of 2018 but bumped many times to keep it current. Better that he did not respond as I was not paying that price anyway. LOL

Classified Translator:

rare = probably not so rare, and something nobody cares about. or just simply ugly. people recognize real rare, so don't bother. and your special, unique serial number doesn't typically qualify as rare. also, something isn't rare just because everybody else on earth was too smart to touch it.

bump x 1 = normal, maybe your potential buyer was away for a couple weeks

bump x 2 = okay, maybe your potential buyer wasn't paying their internet bill and got shut off for a while

bump x 3+ = your potential buyer has died

safe queen = never liked it much, maybe some other sucker-er-buyer will take it

price drop = the original price was outrageous, maybe some buyer will step in for this slightly less outrageous price

updated = forgot to mention that the barrel is slightly warped. and the action is rusted shut.

list of features = not necessary. we're gun nuts-er-enthusiasts, no need to list 100's of features. we know the Colt 1911A1 comes with its very own grip safety and barrel "system"

minor blemish = scratch

minor scratch = gouge

minor gouge = missing stock

great truck gun = gun for sale was dragged by truck along rt 128

will sell separately = if you thought that the price was good, read the fine print. the price includes the box, manual, and frame. if you want the slide, barrel, and innards, that will really cost you!

package = comes with the gun, box, AND even the manual!

"check the prices on Gunbroker" = rip off

Feel free to add to it............
what's Bump x 114 mean? [devil]

Strong rifling = dark, pitted bore. With some imagination you can see lands and grooves.

Bright bore = frosted bore

Bore could use a good cleaning = But don’t clean it because it will still look like a sewer pipe.

Spot on with this thread

Back in late 2018 I thought the classifieds were like an Underground Railroad for guns. Then I came to my senses and realized a much larger world existed out there. I always loved the “rare” moniker.

You guys didn’t know the site has a built in translator??? I’ll fill you in...

When to use translator = When “bumps” exceed 3X, or, you see any items listed with “Pre-Healy” in the title.

How to use translator = Click on posting user’s name, click on “ignore”, refresh your feed.

Pro’s - The beauty of this translator feature is it automatically apply’s to all of this user’s posts, preventing future confusion.

Con’s - If you are ever in the market for a pedestal sink, availability might be spotty.

It’s fair to trash certain types of sellers but I’ll admit that I’m a big fan of the NES classifieds. They’re not what they used to be, but I’ve grabbed some great deals over the years so it’s hard to complain.

Custom stipple job (beginner with a cheap soldering iron)

I added all of this stupid expensive stuff to the gun and I absolutely think the current value is the sum of these parts.

I can’t Stand when people proceed to list every item that They have added to a gun, and the MSRP, and expect the buyer to care. example: MINT CONDITION CUSTOM M&P 9MM

While we're on the topic of descriptions for guns for sale, anyone want to take a crack at describing the WTS ad for Nikita Khrushchev's shotgun?

Back
Top Bottom