Classified Section

I think it is a big mistake to limit this service to members only. You are limiting the listings. I would think that you would want to list as many firearms as possible. People won't join just to sell a gun. I was a member for a year but found this membership to be of no use to me, so I let it expire. I now have a couple of guns I would like to sell and have no intent to rejoin just to sell them.

I think it is a big mistake to limit this service to members only. You are limiting the listings. I would think that you would want to list as many firearms as possible. People won't join just to sell a gun. I was a member for a year but found this membership to be of no use to me, so I let it expire. I now have a couple of guns I would like to sell and have no intent to rejoin just to sell them.

Then sell them somewhere else. If people are using a service to help them make money, it's completely reasonable to ask them to support that service. The classifieds are a benefit to members, a resource we can use. It also attracts new members. Some of us find a lot of use with our membership, and don't mind giving back.

Then sell them somewhere else. If people are using a service to help them make money, it's completely reasonable to ask them to support that service. The classifieds are a benefit to members, a resource we can use. It also attracts new members. Some of us find a lot of use with our membership, and don't mind giving back.

Look around. Notice all of the ads? We support this forum just by logging in.

Is there a way to access the old messages from when the classifieds were fresh? I had 2 "chats" going, but don't remember what users they were with, and would like to PM them. Does not show in the PM box.

THIS. I have no idea who committed to purchasing my item. Am I missing something?

I was a member for a year but found this membership to be of no use to me, so I let it expire. I now have a couple of guns I would like to sell and have no intent to rejoin just to sell them.

Gammon, Keystone is right, there is a lot more to like about NES than an "advertising service". Meeting the many fine people that I have from NES in itself is worth the membership fee. The group buys that I have run and participated in make it worth MANY TIMES the membership fee. The luncheons, dinners, shoots with like-minded people are priceless. I'm sorry that you don't feel that way. BTW, the reason you are seeing all those ads is BECAUSE you are no longer a paid member. Those of us who are "green" don't see them.

I have no interest in the running of this forum, no knowledge of the costs, etc. HOWEVER I do know that the bandwidth that NES consumes, the server it runs on and the hosting service Derek pays for all amount to a large sum of money so that you, I and everyone else can have our "playground".

There are plenty of other places where you can sell your stuff, many are free. But you'll search high and low and are unlikely to find a finer bunch of men and women (plus some kids [wink]) than you will on NES.

Agree, the price of green is well worth the benefits that I have received here - from buying and selling in the classified, invites from people to shoot at their clubs, information on building my rifles, info for competitions, and the reviews of gun shops, schools, training centers and equipment, well worth twice the price!

I like NES, although since the new classified section I have had 0 replies/respones on my listings. This is a first.

I'm unsure of the numbers, but even with the traffic NES generates ads can only do so much. You say "I would think that you would want to list as many firearms as possible" - if NES were primarily around to allow people to sell guns, sure! However, I've always seen the classifieds as ancillary - the real reason for NES is to give shooters up in the northeast a place to share ideas, to get together, to learn. It is inevitable that, in any community like this, that people will try and sell each other things. By limiting it to Green members, it eliminates the drive-by-sellers that are only interested in getting rid of their gun. You might get a minor bump in ad revenue, but it's probably not worth it, in the long run.

I'll agree that the new classifieds might need a little work, but it's a fairly major endeavour that'll need a bit of time to shake out the bugs. I like that Derek created the rss feed linked back to the old classifieds. If we could get single sign on between the two, that would be great, but I have no idea what level of madness would be involved in implementing that.

I believe that limiting the number of advertisers in the classifieds does a disservice to members and users both by restricting the merchandise offered for sale.

Maybe I missed something... but... wasn't it only members who could create new classifieds in the old forums as well? I could be wrong....

Either way, I see the very small fee for membership as a minor thing for the amount of work that goes into running a place such as this.

I believe that limiting the number of advertisers in the classifieds does a disservice to members and users both by restricting the merchandise offered for sale.

You've voiced your opinion and the owner of the forum clearly disagrees. Move on.

I agree there would be more listings if the classifieds was open to non-paying members but I really think the people that aren't willing to pony up $21 a year for unlimited ads aren't serious sellers. Nothing mucks up a forum like posters that post ads then disappear. Or worse post items for sale just for fun at three times their value.

Tell you what you can do though, if you want to sell something for $400 then up the price to $421 and you'll make your money back [wink]

Last edited:
You've voiced your opinion and the owner of the forum clearly disagrees. Move on.

I agree there would be more listings if the classifieds was open to non-paying members but I really think the people that aren't willing to pony up $21 a year for unlimited ads aren't serious sellers. Nothing mucks up a forum like posters that post ads then disappear. Or worse post items for sale just for fun at three times their value.

Tell you what you can do though, if you want to sell something for $400 then up the price to $421 and you'll make your money back [wink]

My position on this topic is not due to a need to post some of my firearms for sale (I have sold one gun in 40 years) but rather an interest in a classified section with as many offerings as possible. I think in the long run this would do more for the forum than the membership fees collected under the current rules.

My position on this topic is not due to a need to post some of my firearms for sale (I have sold one gun in 40 years) but rather an interest in a classified section with as many offerings as possible. I think in the long run this would do more for the forum than the membership fees collected under the current rules.

I can appreciate your interest in a full classified section, but I would like those items and their sellers to actually exist, not be vaporware. In that regard, $21 is an effective filter that prevents our classifieds from being, well, Craigslist. Are you looking at the classifieds to browse, or buy?

I was an advocate of a "restricted" for sale forum here from early on . . . due to massive problems that occurred on another couple of forums that I was on, whereby some unscrupulous people took the money and ran, mis-represented what was for sale, etc. making massive headaches for the owner and Mods in those other forums. I was all for preventing that from happening here BEFORE it happened.

I can also tell you that that I (and perhaps many others) look at # of posts and titles of those posts before deciding on doing business with anyone and passed on some good looking opportunities (if it won't be a FTF transaction) if it looked "risky" to just send money and hope you get the goods (this was largely on national forums). Personally I've never been burned, but know of others who have and therefore am careful unless I am meeting the person FTF. [In one nefarious case someone offered re-finishing service on AR mags and ran off with ~$50K in cash and goods IIRC, Derek probably remembers that one.]

I am not in the "inner circle" and thus don't know what motivated the changes, but can tell you that managing NES Classifieds was a "full time job" (unpaid and came with lots of aggravation) in earlier days. The new system still has a lot of kinks to work out, but requiring sellers to be paid members is NOT one of them IMNSHO.

I like the new classifieds but have a couple of questions.

Is it me or do you have to log in everytime?

Are there no e-mail notifications when someone sends a message?

Can you bump a post?

For the $3 featured ad is it for all your ads or $3 each ad?

Don't mean to side track here but is there a page with instructions that would answer my questions better? Not selling anything right now but this could help in the future.

I was looking for some of the same answers to these questions ? Originally Posted by beavis820
I like the new classifieds but have a couple of questions.

Is it me or do you have to log in everytime?

Are there no e-mail notifications when someone sends a message?

Can you bump a post?

For the $3 featured ad is it for all your ads or $3 each ad?

Wouldn't you like to see the classified offerings increased by 50 or 100%?

I would rather not, if it meant I was buying from/selling to non-NES members. The whole point of NES classifieds and membership is so that we know the people we're dealing with and everyone has a reputation to worry about. This classified add service is an extension of NES, not a general add paper like Yankee Swapper.

If you want to sell to a larger population, try gunbroker or one of the many other national gun boards with their huge free memberships, and tons of scammers and deadbeats to boot.

I would rather not, if it meant I was buying from/selling to non-NES members. The whole point of NES classifieds and membership is so that we know the people we're dealing with and everyone has a reputation to worry about. This classified add service is an extension of NES, not a general add paper like Yankee Swapper.

If you want to sell to a larger population, try gunbroker or one of the many other national gun boards with their huge free memberships, and tons of scammers and deadbeats to boot.

That...

Not weighing in on one side or the other here, just know that..
1. I sold several items on the old classifieds before I was a member.
2. I joined because the site had provided a service that was worthwhile to me.

I do have a question, though. I want to sell a whole mess of DVD's, Blu-Rays, and video games, but I'm not about to go and make a single listing for each and every item. I want to just make one listing, with a wall of text price list for each item, and then mark them off as sold as people claim them. I don't imagine one person is going to want the whole shebang.

So what would be the best way to go about doing this using the new system?

Please pardon me if this suggestion has been made.... but can a poll be made that says:

"Do you want the classifieds returned to the old style?

a) Yes, I'm confused... Help!
B) No, Stop Whining!
C) I Love Lamp"

The last one is optional...

Please pardon me if this suggestion has been made.... but can a poll be made that says:

"Do you want the classifieds returned to the old style?

a) Yes, I'm confused... Help!
B) No, Stop Whining!
C) I Love Lamp"

The last one is optional...

I highly doubt it's up for a vote....

But, that said, it'd be nice to get a yes or a no on if it's definitely staying this way.
Don't get me wrong, I'll be fine and deal either way... but it'd be nice to know.

Actually, I *would* be kind of curious to see what people think... would anyone get pissy if I posted a poll thread?

Back
Top Bottom