• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classified Section

So it doesn't appeal to tire kickers, but makes buying and selling easier.... Win.

Mark, not so sure of that . . .

Latest two issues I found:

- Someone posted a WTB, I "replied" with a message (It's not a PM)! He replied to me . . . first problem . . . I never got an Email message that I got a reply!

- I reply to him in the "message thread" (just between he and I) . . . only found his reply after logging into Classifieds and noticing a small flashing icon on left side . . . I want to print the "thread" of responses. NOT POSSIBLE if > than small fixed size window. Had to highlight 1/2 (won't do it in one chunk, I tried) and print "selection" twice to get it all printed. This is the only way that I know what I promised him (price), etc.

This may be a "work in process" but it is severely flawed in its current iteration and I suspect that it is programing issues and nothing that Derek can "fix" within the new structure.

New classified section SUCKS..... I need to browse classified session using Tapatalk, PERIOD.

Meantime, use of classified section @ NES Member classified.[wink][wink]

Last edited:
I'm going to push all communications through vB in the future. As Len said it's a work in progress, I can tweak items as they are brought up.

I agree with one of the previous posters. Its nice to click and see who has what for sale, I used to check the classsifieds every time I went online. Since the change I looked to see what it was about, Hated it, Checked it a second time. Still hated it and havent been back since

What he said................

It's interesting to see the divergence of opinion. I think the new system is absolutely better. But I'm no impulse buyer, and never looked at the classifieds part of the forum unless I actually wanted something. As a seller, I sold nothing on the old system, but find the new system much more appealing. For me, it's a clear win.

The biggest issue seems to be integration with the forum browsing experience, particularly for the people who hit "What's New" to read posts (I do that too). That seems like a fixable issue (just as the classifieds now shows new NES posts, it could potentially work the other way too).

Give it time, and try it out. Sell something. Buy something. The folks running things here do a great job and I've no doubt this transition will improve things for almost all us in the end.

Anyone here remember the vB upgrade a while back? People were convinced NES had gone to hell and the forum was unusable. We clearly got past that, and for the better. Change is disruptive, but a little creative destruction is necessary for progress.

A big thanks to Derek for keeping this place running so well. I think he deserves more respect for the effort and what he has done here than I am seeing in this thread.

So you're calling the majority "Tire Kickers"? Why would this be a win if you were posting items to sell? You really like the fact no one is looking at it?

I looked at the classifieds daily and now never do.

Then you are a tire kicker. If you really wanted to buy something, you'd look at the classifieds no matter the format. If you really want to sell something, you'd post it on the classifieds no matter the format. Once the new system replaces the old, if you want to buy or sell something, you'll use the classifieds no matter the format. Or, you won't buy or sell anything...Derek doesn't make a commission on sales - the classifieds are a benefit of the site. Your use/disuse of the classifieds doesn't really matter to the bottom line. It's a tool for users of this forum to buy and sell merchandise and I personally think it's a major leap forward....

And I don't think the complainers here represent the majority...

It's interesting to see the divergence of opinion. I think the new system is absolutely better. But I'm no impulse buyer, and never looked at the classifieds part of the forum unless I actually wanted something. As a seller, I sold nothing on the old system, but find the new system much more appealing. For me, it's a clear win.

I've sold 3 guns, and 5 or 6 misc things (ammo, ham gear, accessories). I've bought 6 guns plus a bunch of ammo and accessories. I always look through the ads to get an idea what the prices on certain items are and have a long wish list of things that if I see them for the right price I'll pounce on it. Personally, I can't stand the new system. I am not using it as often as I used to. Every time I do go there I get frustrated. There is no way to tell what ads I've already looked and those I haven't. It will probably help save me some money though.

I understand that Derek is trying to improve things and make it more manageable for the moderators. I don't begrudge him for that, I just don't like the new setup.

Then you are a tire kicker. If you really wanted to buy something, you'd look at the classifieds no matter the format.

Ummm...yeah....That's not a "tire kicker", but more of a "window shopper". The fact of the matter is that the window shopping is going to go down drastically and it's going to be much more difficult for people to sell items. I've bought a few things from the classified and guess what? I didn't "need" any of them and I wouldn't have even known they were for sale if they didn't show up under "New Posts". I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here with that type of experience.

If you really want to sell something, you'd post it on the classifieds no matter the format. Once the new system replaces the old, if you want to buy or sell something, you'll use the classifieds no matter the format.

The problem isn't going to be people participating by posting items for sale. It is going to be the huge drop in exposure to the items for sale.

Or, you won't buy or sell anything...Derek doesn't make a commission on sales - the classifieds are a benefit of the site. Your use/disuse of the classifieds doesn't really matter to the bottom line. It's a tool for users of this forum to buy and sell merchandise and I personally think it's a major leap forward....

You are 100% wrong here. First of all, it DOES affect the bottom line since many people that join this site do so for the sole purpose of being able to sell items in the classified. If those people don't like the new system then they will not renew their membership with the website...it doesn't take an degree in economics to figure that one out. You can't go and tell people to "Join if you want to sell in the classifieds" and then turn around, change how it all works, and then tell them their opinion doesn't matter on the subject. That type of attitude is utter bullshit.

People voiced their opinions, some more professionally than others. But to say it's disrespectful towards Derek is retarded. Derek made a major change to an area of the site that is a benefit to paid members without first asking those paid members what they thought about it. IMO, it's his site and he can do whatever he wants with it, but don't expect to not get any backlash when it happens. And, Derek, I'm not directing that at you...You haven't bitched about anyone's complaints. I'm directing at the people saying that the people bitching are disrespecting your hard work. It has nothing to do with that.

For you guys who want better notification of new listings, check out the RSS feed. There are a number of RSS tools out there (not just your browser), making this much more flexible than the old system. For you iphone guys, check out RSS reader apps here.

I gotta say, browsing the classifieds is a little too much like work now [laugh]

As a hardcore impulse buyer/seller....this pisses me off but is probably better for me in the end.

I think this is a good direction to heading, and with our continued [strike]criticism and whining[/strike]help, Derek will get it right some day [smile]

For you guys who want better notification of new listings, check out the RSS feed. There are a number of RSS tools out there (not just your browser), making this much more flexible than the old system. For you iphone guys, check out RSS reader apps here.

That's a shitty "fix" because it's still not integrated with the forum. I sent a PM to Derek earlier suggesting that he feed a classified forum here off of the RSS feed and he said he's going to look into it. I think if he could get it to post a thread off of each new post to the items classifieds with the item name, description, and a link to the classifieds page that it will make a huge difference.

So it doesn't appeal to tire kickers, but makes buying and selling easier.... Win.

I've been both a buyer and seller using the classifieds here. I've also made a sale with the new classifieds. So I am not just a tire kicker.

With the new system, it was difficult to find out where to edit an ad once I placed it. I was editing because I forgot to include the photos when I created the ad, and I could not add more than one photo. This is not easier for selling.

I also do not find it easier to buy. Yes, if I want to purchase a very specific item, it is easier to search for that. But if I am browsing for a fun new handgun because I have $x to spend and I want to see what is newly listed every few days in just that category, I cannot.

Like others have said, what was broken with the old classifieds? I suspect that the new system does something better for the mods, which is definitely a bug consideration. But as both a buyer and a seller, I find that the new system is worse for both buying and selling. Lose-lose-win, instead of win-win-win.

I greatly appreciate the efforts of Derek and everyone else involved, so I'm not going to complain. Heck, I've sold through the new system, so I've got $ in my pocket because of it, so how horrible can it be? But there is definitely still room for improvement, functionality we used to have that isn't there now, etc. I'm looking forward to see the new system get even better.

That's a shitty "fix" because it's still not integrated with the forum. I sent a PM to Derek earlier suggesting that he feed a classified forum here off of the RSS feed and he said he's going to look into it. I think if he could get it to post a thread off of each new post to the items classifieds with the item name, description, and a link to the classifieds page that it will make a huge difference.

For me, I wouldn't want forum posts cluttered with classifieds that I can see in the RSS feed or in the classifieds section, but that's just one opinion of many here. I am guessing this new system must create an underlying database of classifieds information where the old system had just text in posts. If I'm right about this, this structured data will allow any number of neat new features (and already offers many). I can imagine a pane on NES forum pages showing new ads, for example, that does the same thing as you suggest without cluttering up the forum posts themselves.

I assure you everything is fine.

nothingtoseehere.jpg

I am working on a list of fixes/enhancements [grin]

Dude,

I like it. I always thought the classic way of perusing classified ads was a pain. This makes it easy to get a lot of information at once, If I'm looking for a pistol / rifle / whatever....then there is pics, prices, everything readily available. Good job.

Last edited:
I like the new forum for the most part but the messaging doesn't seem to be working. I received two messages to my ad but I was never notified for it. But it makes searching much easier! Need a magazine? There's a section for magazine. Want a bolt action? There's a section for bolt action. Doesn't get any easier than that.

One question though - How do you bump an ad?

Last edited:
I dont like the new classifieds either. As a window shopper and impulse buyer I liked being able to just jump into one of the categories and scroll through. I know I have bought a number of things that I didnt know I needed them until I saw them. As for selling I have only posted one ad which was easy enough. I do worry that the new format is harder to read and find and from the various comments that people wont use the new format.

I wanted to list some stuff for trade. In the past it was simple to throw something up and work out a deal. I did this many times. The new format is too complex and difficult to navigate and browse.

I liked the recently added membership requirement for listing. That made sense. It got me to join. Now the new classifieds system will probably lead to my letting my membership lapse. The old, simple classified ads was one reason I checked in to NES so often.

BTW, you can now view classified using RSS reader too. If you have RSS reader on smartphone, you can use it.

That. Imagine working countless hours on something and having puke smilies to describe your hard efforts...Classy...[rolleyes]

I do appreciate the hard work Derek has put into this thread as well as the entire site. Your comment about tire kickers is a bit offensive at least to me. Since the site works for you and not others, everyone else can go crap in a hat? Thanks for welcoming others into your world. No offense and I never put any symbols on there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom