• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classified- Hunting gear?

So I am just now getting into hunting. Man, new gear is expensive. I've been looking around for used hunting gear. Scent blocker clothes...Jacket. Boots, gloves, you name it. Need a GPS. Thought it may be a good idea to have a Classified area on NES for hunting gear? If any of you have gear in good shape you are looking to unload, I'd be interested in what you have. Thanks.

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in those scent blocking items, although I do own some. Being mindful of one's scent trail & the wind, and being still, seems to work.

You can score decent deals on apparel just before the season starts, and after Thanksgiving.

You don't need fancy gear. Wear the clothing you have, just dress for the weather. Map and compass served for generations before GPS. Up until 50 years ago, kids got their start hunting squirrels and rabbits with a .22 en route to and from school. They just added a rifle and a game bag to what the other kids wore and carried.

I see small game and deer all the time while walking the dog in the woods, along with the occasional bear track.

I'm sure all the fancy gear allows hunters to stay warmer and drier in more marginal conditions, but you can hunt in weather that suits your clothes. GPS is great, but in unfamiliar territory you need a compass and map as back up anyway, so the GPS is only nice-to-have. Scent control and attractants probably also provide an edge under certain conditions, or you can go old school and hunt upwind.

If you have the proper license, training, and gun, just do it. Add fancy gear later, as you learn what you really need for the hunting you really do.

Dicks has a clearance section during the summer for hunting gear. I have my hunting clothes in a giant bag with leaves and scent wafers all year long make yourself smell like dirt. Gps use you smartphone, that's if there is service. good luck.

I have my hunting clothes in a giant bag with leaves and scent wafers all year long make yourself smell like dirt.

This right here. A large rubbermaid bin with pine cones, leaves, twigs, some dirt at the bottom... Throw all your clothes and boots in there and you're covered. And don't eat anything stinky the morning of or the night before. Think garlic to vampires. Don't smoke obviously. Its not hard to cover up your scent without expensive gimmicky garbage.

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in those scent blocking items, although I do own some. Being mindful of one's scent trail & the wind, and being still, seems to work.

You can score decent deals on apparel just before the season starts, and after Thanksgiving.

THIS^ Guys were bagging deer long before scent blocker.....

I equate the hunting and ammo sales to the fishing lure industry. THey always have to come out with something new to make people want to buy it.

Even hunting ammo has gone hoopoo frigging crazy. Guy I know started hunting last season for the first time.......pheasant hunting. Showed up for his first trip with some "prairy whiz bang extra super" something or other 12G loads. Paid over $1.50 a shell for em. My buddy laughed at him....... and then showed him a box of remmy #6 game loads......said these have worked for me for decades.....wally world........$13 for a box of 25 lasts a season and if I hit em they die if I don't they fly........the wonder loads don't help your aim any!

Last edited:
If you need a GPS to navigate the woods, you are too-far inland to drag a deer out without a lot of hurt. You learn this quickly after your first kill.

We hunt on 80 acres and when one of us gets a deer, we drag it to the nearest ATV path and someone gets the ATV to haul the harvested deer out. Old fashioned, I know, but we try to stick to the old ways. [wink]

Thanks for all the advice. Ill get a big tupperware box and throw mother nature in with all my stuff. I still have my old army clothes. BDU's, Gortex jacket etc but was told the Gortex jacket may be too loud. I can understand that. it Kind of is. I actually have a regular cammo jacket Uncle Sam issued that I may dig out of some boxes. I'm initially looking to hunt deer with my Mosin up North in November and then in December in MA with a shotgun.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Ill get a big tupperware box and throw mother nature in with all my stuff. I still have my old army clothes. BDU's, Gortex jacket etc but was told the Gortex jacket may be too loud. I can understand that. it Kind of is. I actually have a regular cammo jacket Uncle Sam issued that I may dig out of some boxes. I'm initially looking to hunt deer with my Mosin up North in November and then in December in MA.

I also have a dream of harvesting a deer with a mosin nagant in rifle country up north! Funny! I just think it would be cool to have a picture on my wall of a buck taken with a $100 rifle wearing my 20 year old field jacket when there are guys that spend upwards of $1000 for their equipment. However......there is no rifle season in Mass......you said December in MA.......

Last edited:
ha. I just edited mine before you edited yours. I applied for antlerless tags in December. Shotgun only in MA. :)

I also have a dream of harvesting a deer with a mosin nagant in rifle country up north! Funny! I just think it would be cool to have a picture on my wall of a buck taken with a $100 rifle wearing my 20 year old field jacket when there are guys that spend upwards of $1000 for their equipment. However......there is no rifle season in Mass......you said December in MA.......

I am looking to upgrade my climbing tree stand to a lighter one. PM me if you are interested in a 1 season old stand in good condition.

Lost 25 lbs. this spring on the Paleo diet and went from xl to l clothing. Sizes are xl - 31 32 inch leg. Most are Under Armour but as others have stated, you don't have to spend a lot of money to be outfitted. In my case I have found that money invested in well made pays off. Let me know if you are interested. JD

I kill a lot of deer and don't wear any scent blocking clothing. I just keep the clothes clean, washed in scent free detergent, and kept separate in a bin like others have described.

you might try a VERY mild amount of deer scent on you to cover your 'people smell' but don't over do it, one squirt is plenty.

the key is to disappear into the environment, scent wise and movement wise. using too much "Buck bomb " type sprays and walking around "scouting" the area during hunting season is a quick way to put out "foreign" scents that will cause deer to avoid that area.

good luck!

So I am just now getting into hunting. Man, new gear is expensive. I've been looking around for used hunting gear. Scent blocker clothes...Jacket. Boots, gloves, you name it. Need a GPS. Thought it may be a good idea to have a Classified area on NES for hunting gear? If any of you have gear in good shape you are looking to unload, I'd be interested in what you have. Thanks.

not a bad idea... but ftr...scent blocker brand isnt reliable It will wear out, and its not 100%. wash your hunting clothes in non scented laundry detergent. get the good stuff. and dont shower using smelly soap and shampoo either, at least not the night before you leave for the hunt. they have scent eliminating/non scented soap you can get for showering too I believe. One thing people dont think of... if you clear your rifle/shotgun right before you head out for the hunt, or wipe it down with a silicone cloth, dont use smelly cleaners and lubes. Its a bit pricey, i just used a sample from the company... but Breakthrough Cleaner is virtually smell free cleaners and you really only need a small amount to clean a decent area. I'd give it a try. I have a bought a bottle and it will be used for that purpose.

Edit: keep an eye open for Dick's clearance sales. I have bought a high quality insulated winter jacket, under armor pull over half zip, under armor fleece lined pants, snow overalls, snow jacket, 2 face masks, hat, browning hoodie, UA gloves, and duck commander green tuperware Si cup for under a total of about $300.
And if you have a rewards card, I often get 10 of of 50, and 20 off 100 coupons.

Last edited:
Just my two cents but do not buy any scent blocker stuff, scent eliminator stuff or anything that says it it will mask your smell. If people think that is going to work on a deer's nose, well let them spend the money and you save yours. You can do all the fancy stuff you want want but if he/she is downwind of you, you will get popped (and probably never know it).

Just to add to this I am new to hunting and have only been doing it a few years so you can take my advice or not but if you want to read from guys who will flat out tell you "there is no magic pixie dust" and down mature bucks every year on heavy hunted public property, head over to http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/ and introduce yourself and have fun reading.

Just my two cents but do not buy any scent blocker stuff, scent eliminator stuff or anything that says it it will mask your smell. If people think that is going to work on a deer's nose, well let them spend the money and you save yours. You can do all the fancy stuff you want want but if he/she is downwind of you, you will get popped (and probably never know it).

Just to add to this I am new to hunting and have only been doing it a few years so you can take my advice or not but if you want to read from guys who will flat out tell you "there is no magic pixie dust" and down mature bucks every year on heavy hunted public property, head over to http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/ and introduce yourself and have fun reading.

That's a cool forum man. Thanks for sharing.

Personally scent blocker I feel is a marketing gimmik Long before all the new and wonderful ideas with big price tags got here our uncles and grandfathers were walking thru the woods wearing red plaid smoking a cigar and they always seemed to come home drunk with a deer. Be quiet, sit still and scout your areas early. Hooking up with an experienced hunting buddy will increase your chances and keep you from buying stuff you don't really need.
Dave

Back
Top Bottom