• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classified ads and membership..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused. I have been a green member for 2 years so I could have access to the "Member classifieds". But my membership expired the other day and I can't afford to renew until next Friday. I noticed that now you need to be a green member to post in the regular classified section. What the hell is that all about? Why have a Green member Classifieds and a standard Classifieds if you have to be Green to post in either of them???

Only green members can sell in the classifieds. If you want to buy you can pm the seller. I think it's always been like that, at least since I've joined.

Last year I sold a 10/22 in the classifieds before going green...

Sometimes green members only classified items are discounted if they are also posted in the regular classifieds.

I'm a little confused. I have been a green member for 2 years so I could have access to the "Member classifieds". But my membership expired the other day and I can't afford to renew until next Friday. I noticed that now you need to be a green member to post in the regular classified section. What the hell is that all about? Why have a Green member Classifieds and a standard Classifieds if you have to be Green to post in either of them???

The unwashed/unpaid members cannot see member classifieds. Only other paid members can, so paid members that don't want to sell to joe randoms can still put their ads in the member classifieds.... that's more or less the entire difference right there.

On the other hand, joe random unpaids can still view/buy from ads posted by members in the general use classifieds.

This change (getting sellers to pay) was put in place because we had a large number of users who only came here to sell stuff and otherwise contributed nothing to the site.

-Mike

This change (getting sellers to pay) was put in place because we had a large number of users who only came here to sell stuff and otherwise contributed nothing to the site.

-Mike

Agreed, when sellers have to be green, it keeps out scammers, casual users that want to skirt gunbroker commissions, and people that may come back under different usernames. I think when you are green, you actually get out and meet other NES folks and now your reputation becomes a little more important when you aren't some anonymous username. This gives the classifieds a little more credibility and makes it less "craigslisty".
Plus as I mentioned the first time this came up, bandwidth isn't free and the classifieds generates a ton of traffic.

I guess I can understand the reasoning for charging membership to post in the classifieds. My Green membership just happened to expire at a bad time. I need to wait a week to renew and I need to sell a gun as well. Just bad timing I guess. It would be nice if we got a warning that our membership was going to expire a week or two before it actually does.

I guess I can understand the reasoning for charging membership to post in the classifieds. My Green membership just happened to expire at a bad time. I need to wait a week to renew and I need to sell a gun as well. Just bad timing I guess. It would be nice if we got a warning that our membership was going to expire a week or two before it actually does.

Should that warning also remind you of the limitations on selling in the classifieds? Perhaps even a warning couldn't have prevented the confusion.

I recently got an email warning of my pending expiration. I didn't happen to notice how many days in advance it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom