• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Classic hunting rifle discussion

Thanks guys good info and great questions. I guess the answer really is have a couple. As I think about, it is great that you can use different loads and weights depending on what you are pursuing. However, you are re-siting each time you change.

375 H&H or 460 REM for shots up to 200. Gonna drop a moose like a bad habit. Beyond that, 300 WinMag.

Thanks guys good info and great questions. I guess the answer really is have a couple. As I think about, it is great that you can use different loads and weights depending on what you are pursuing. However, you are re-siting each time you change.
By a 30/30 and a 1000 round case of soft points. You wont have to re zero for years!

It really depends....some loads change POI very little. Some alot....like if your going from 150 grain to 220. But I can shoot my 165 and 150 nearly on top of each other, or within a deers vitals. Of course as you lengthen the range this will usually increase. So if you plan on shooting 400 yards, yes resighting will likely be necessary, but for say 200, you'll likely be fine.

I have been thinking about this for a year and still have not made up my mind. Bolt action 308 or 30-06? While the 30-06 seems offer some heavier bullet offerings, is it really needed for any of our american game? Can the 308 do the job? The 308 can be built lighter. Then there is the 270win mag. Flatter trajectory for longer shots. But realistically, how long of a shot would I ever take? 250 yards? Now, I have a few years before I need to worry about in theory. See, the goal is to retire to Montana. However, would it not be prudent to buy a gun now and practice? :)

I am interested in what you guys think and if there are some other calibers I should consider. Thanks Pete
I’ve been hunting Montana for close to 30 years now. Held tags for Bears, elk, pronghorn, mulies ,whitetails, wolfs you name it. I’ll be back in 6 weeks for my 20th+ hunt. And I can tell you without question to a man almost everyone I know who LIVES and hunts there uses a 270. The 270 rules the west.

Last edited:

If you're going to get multiple guns, here's my suggestions:

*A .243, .25-06, .257, or .270 either in bolt action or single shot or an AR in .223 or maybe something between .223 and .300 Blackout, like 6.8 SPC. Something you can hand to a kid or a new hunter in a pinch.
*A .30-06 bolt action (110, 70) or semi auto (think Browning BAR semi auto or Benelli R1)
*Something bigger and flatter shooting than a .30-06 like a .300/.338 on a bipod that's nice and heavy and can absorb punishing recoil.

You could probably buy those in the order I listed - a .243 will harvest most game in New England shy of a moose. A .30-06 will take down a moose. If you move to Montana and need to make 400-600 yard shots, you'll need something big, flat shooting, and a bipod would probably help.

If you win a moose lottery or go on a special, once in a lifetime hunt, just buy a gun for the occasion and make sure you get plenty of trigger time before the hunt ;)

Since you say "Classic hunting rifle", I answer 7x57, 6.5x55, 257 Roberts, 8mm.

The .308, 30-06 bore me.
I once took a whitetail in Wisconsin with a Winchester lever action .307. :) Didn't know there was a .307 until my great uncle said "Use this bad boy" when I was home on leave and needed a rifle.

Not sure what I would use in Montana. I'm one of those cats that if I can see it and a mirage I can hit it, a good spotter can make up for the lack of mirage.

When I think classic rifle, my mind goes to the sporter. I imagine a 1903 Springfield that was recrafted by Sedgley th (6).jpeg or a Lee Enfield transformed by Parker Hale
6e23f06b9d644e28e73e091733af3196.jpg I would not hesitate to use a 30-06 or a 6.5 Swede for any hunting on this continent. As I say this, the vast majority of the venison I have harvested was with a Marlin 336sc in 35 Rem. And I am mostly shooting about 175 yards, across a field. The Marlin is equipped with a 4x Redfield and never misses.

My two favorite hunting rifles are either my dad's old weatherby vanguard in .300 win mag or my old model 7 youth in 7mm-08.

The weatherby has a gorgeous stock with a finish that has stood the test of time, a Leupold 3.5-10, and shoots very warmly loaded 180gr nosler partitions or swift a-frames into sub 1 moa groups all day long, which are plenty of bullet for anything in north america. I've used it for black bear and a couple of guided hunts where I was in brown bear country.

My model 7 youth in 7mm-08 was the first center fire rifle my dad ever bought me when I was about 11yrs old, I bedded and free floated it when I was a kid as a project. I keep it sighted for 139gr hornadys that it will reliably print into 1 moa groups, it wears a simple but reliable nikon 3-9x scope. It's like an extension of my right arm. I've carried it and shot it so much I've had to re-finish the stock about 3 times. I've mostly used it for black bear and deer in other states.

I keep all my hunting rifles sighted for 200yds, makes it easy to shoot game out to 300yds, and I know the elevation and windage for both of those rifles out to 500yds by heart up to about a 20mph cross wind. I won't attempt a shot if it's farther or worse wind than that.

Whatever rifle you decide on for that one or two that you are going to take game with it's incredibly important to go shoot them in shit weather, on demand, at different ranges and elevations, from all practical positions, and with ur actual hunting gear on. And always sight the rifle for a cold, clean bore shot. Having the rifle sighted for 100yds with a hot/fouled barrel, and the eye relief set for a t shirt on a perfect calm day in july, doesn't do you any good when you're wearing 3 layers and it's snowing in december, the barrel was cleaned the night before, has ice built up on it, and your laying some kind of prone with the gun on your pack, and your trophy is about to walk behind a wall of brush at 265yds down hill. You'll either not be able to make the shot at all or probably go against your better judgment because "f*** it" and wound the animal and feel like shit after.

Trust me when I tell you, 300 WinMag can be unpleasant to shoot more than a box of ammo through. It's like slugging down a bottle of Robitussin. The recoil on my 700 doesn't bother me, but the concussion can be sobering. No doubt it will knock things down far far away.

I don't know if it is still accepted as truth, but for many years, it was suggested that 30-30 had taken more deer than any other caliber. A lot of guys like the hard hitting, flat nosed round for hunting in the brush in the Northeast and plenty of good ole boys in the south have dropped white tail with a handy little 30-30 lever gun.

I have never been, but many of the guys who hunt muleies from hill top to hill top out west, say that 338 lapua is the way to go. But at $4-$5 per round it is very expensive. You see the long range hunts on the Outdoor Channel where hunters and taking game at 500+ yards. And while it looks awesome after the video has been through the editing room, that is a helluva small target even with that capable round. Not sure I would have the confidence to ethically hunt like that.

Definitely a classic.
When I think classic rifle, my mind goes to the sporter. I imagine a 1903 Springfield that was recrafted by SedgleyView attachment 304713 or a Lee Enfield transformed by Parker Hale
View attachment 304715 I would not hesitate to use a 30-06 or a 6.5 Swede for any hunting on this continent. As I say this, the vast majority of the venison I have harvested was with a Marlin 336sc in 35 Rem. And I am mostly shooting about 175 yards, across a field. The Marlin is equipped with a 4x Redfield and never misses.
My sporters:
1903 Springfield, Douglas 35 cal blank chambered to 35 Whelen, Leupold 2-7x scope. Unknown stock, maybe an old Herters or Bishop.
20190926_085815.jpg
Your basic K98k in its original 8mm barrel riding in a Bishop stock with a Lyman receiver sight and Williams ramp front. 20190926_091345.jpg

Another vote for 30-30.

But if I must choose between 30-06 and .308, I’ll take a .308 in a Savage 99.

I don’t like bolt guns, they just feel weird and off balance to me.

I think a 30-30 is a good truck gun out west or anywhere for that matter. And a great deer rifle for the eastern half of the country or anywhere tight.

But on game at 200-300 yards.....an open sighted 30-30 is not the best tool.

When i was in Cody, Wyoming at the gun shop there I asked the person behind the counter what everyone used out there. At first she said 270, but then she said....well, i think 7mm mag is taking that over though. Lot of guys are running across Grizzly bear now outside of the Yellowstone, and they want something a little more than a 270 just in case. Plus it can take Elk or Moose very easily as well too, and if you use a lighter bullet....its good for Antelope as well, as its a flat long shooter.

And yes....she was blonde and hot, and into guns.

.308 is really to bring the .30-06 into a short action. That's the entire point of it. If you're getting a bolt and have no rifle in either, and you're not taking Elk on the next ridge over, and the bolt throw is fine for you either way, and you're not loading your own, then get the one that has the hunting ammo commercially available that you prefer. End of story. Others have extolled the virtues of .30-06 if the other cases apply.

If you're taking whitetail in NE forest and only whitetail in NE forest, then .308 is fine but you may want to consider other options.

Remington’s 760 and 7600 classic deer rifle loved by the Benoit’s.
I have killed deer in upstate NY with lefty bolt action savage in 308. Worked fine not the easiest gun for shooting at running deer.
Switched to a Winchester 94 in 30-30 with peep sights killed a few deer with that. That gun is a pleasure to carry all day and is a fast shooter in the brush. Then changed again to a Browning BLR in 308 with trijicon Accupoint I think this gun is best all around nice to carry quick shooting can stretch shots if needed
Has a box mag easier to unload then jacking shells into the snow.
Also bought a pre 64 Winchester in 32 win special for my son when he was born.

So I have decided rifle number one will be chambered in 308. Heck, if it is good enough for Randy Newberg then it is good enough for me. Now to decide on which model. I am leaning toward Savage 110 hunter or a Howa 1500. Next is a scope. I am leaning toward Leoupold. I am budgeting up to $500 for a scope. Too bad I only have a hundred yards at the two clubs I belong to because it would be great to site it in for 200 yards.

I have to read this thread a few more times though and put some real thought into rifle number two.

Next will be to read up on reloading. I have about 30,000 rounds of pistol under my belt, but never loaded rifle.

Edit: The 270 does have me thinking though :)

Last edited:
So I have decided rifle number one will be chambered in 308. Heck, if it is good enough for Randy Newberg then it is good enough for me. Now to decide on which model. I am leaning toward Savage 110 hunter or a Howa 1500. Next is a scope. I am leaning toward Leoupold. I am budgeting up to $500 for a scope. Too bad I only have a hundred yards at the two clubs I belong to because it would be great to site it in for 200 yards.

I have to read this thread a few more times though and put some real thought into rifle number two.

Next will be to read up on reloading. I have about 30,000 rounds of pistol under my belt, but never loaded rifle.

Between .308 and .270 I would go .308 because .308 cartridges are easier to find in the middle of nowhere. The .270 is a long action cartridge anyways since its parent case is .30-06. If you want a shorter cartridge and thus a shorter action, compare .243 and .308 because the .243's parent case is .308.

If you're buying a new Savage 10-series gun (110 is long action historically, 10 is short action - but this isn't true anymore with new production guns), then just pick whatever Savage in .308 suits your fancy off their website. I suggest the Savage 10 Trophy Hunter XP or the Savage 110 Classic. Those two both have the AccuTrigger but the 110 Classic has the (ugly IMO) AccuStock. If you're looking for classic lines and not obsessed with perfect stock fit, go with the 10 Trophy Hunter XP. If you want a more advanced piece of wood to rest your face on, go 110 Classic.

Savage Arms - 10 TROPHY HUNTER XP

Savage Arms - 110 CLASSIC

If you want a used Savage, and a used Savage in .308 should go for $200-500 depending on age, sub-model, and condition, just comb the local gun shops and the local big stores like KTP. You can accessorize the crap out of a Savage and get totally new barrels, stocks, etc. without any issue. You can basically make a new gun out of aftermarket parts on a Savage.

The "classic" East Coast hunting optic is the 3-9x40. I owned a Leupold that was around $350, 400, and it was ok. I wasn't saying "OMG I love this scope, Leupold makes the greatest optics ever!", but nor was I yanking the thing off the gun and throwing it on the ground and stamping on it. It worked fine. That being said, most people associate Leupold with being the classic, higher end (as in higher end than what you get at Wal-Mart) American optic.

Another option would be a fixed optic between 2.5 and 6x but that depends - how much magnification do you really want? Do you want to be able to see a fly's ass or are you expecting to be making shots at running deer - put another way, how will you be hunting? Up close and personal or waiting at the edge of a field?

308 will kill just about anything in the West. Since your thinking reloading, if you want to have a higher power rifle for bigger game and flatter shots. Think about a 300 WSM, or a 300 Win mag. Then you can use the same bullets your using with your .308 and wont have to stock different ones.

I have a Ruger Predator .308 18" barrel with a 3-9 Vortex Diamondback scope. Its a good rig for shots I'll see in the east. Out west, I'd put a good Magpul Hunter Stock on it to make it more accurate and stable for longer shots.

If I were you I'd probably get something like a Savage 110 with a longer barrel and
a good accustock bedding situation. Maybe a 4-12X good glass scope.

I have been thinking about this for a year and still have not made up my mind. Bolt action 308 or 30-06? While the 30-06 seems offer some heavier bullet offerings, is it really needed for any of our american game? Can the 308 do the job? The 308 can be built lighter. Then there is the 270win mag. Flatter trajectory for longer shots. But realistically, how long of a shot would I ever take? 250 yards? Now, I have a few years before I need to worry about in theory. See, the goal is to retire to Montana. However, would it not be prudent to buy a gun now and practice? :)

I am interested in what you guys think and if there are some other calibers I should consider. Thanks Pete
Few classics here
WTS - reminton 700 300rum stainless
Also have a win 99 in 308.

I have rifles in many calibers so I don't have to choose but if I could have only 1 caliber the choice would be very easy.The 375 H&H can be loaded with the correct bullet to take any game on the planet from rabbits to elephant.

Not that I'd try it, but my DIL in Alaska takes moose with a .243. Head shots and never needed a follow up. Always with the moose holding still and at close range. Jack.
As long as you have the confidence in your shot placement, not a problem.
On the farm we put down cows with a .22 to the head, about 12" from the skull. Always works. It's not what we hunt deer with.

OP, did you reach out to 1911 about that Winchester? Lever gun in .308 is seriously slick. I’d feel guilty asking him to ship it to my FFL in AZ. But that old stick would be about perfect.

Back
Top Bottom