• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

class

garyz

NES Member
I'm interested in taking a reloading class
does anyone know of a shop/school/etc... that offers a reloading class
not sure if I'm mechanically inclined enough to reload, and woudl like to try

thx
garyz

Gary,
Theres not much to it mechanical wise really. Knowing how to read a dial caliper, a powder scale and pulling the lever on a press are about the only mechanical aspects of it.

What you need to know are the safety rules regarding handling and storage of powder, primers and wearing safety glasses, hand washing after reloading, distractions during reloading, following manual's recommendations of powder, primers, lengths and crimps if applicable.

Find someone local to you that you trust as reloader whom you can sit with for a while and watch the process.

Read some reloading manuals, they cover the bases pretty well. I recommend any edition of the Lyman manual.

pm replied to

I found a g guns has a reloading class, but couldn't find out when
I'll give them a call in the moring too

thx
garyz

For some seeing someone do it is a lot more beneficial then reading about it in a manual. I'm like garyz here. I'd love to start reloading, but just heading out on my own to start seems a bit daughting.

Garyz, if you find a place that is having a class let me know. I'd be interested in attending as well.

I know a guy in Virginia, I know it's a ways off, but he teaches reloading, advanced reloading techniques and you can also shoot on his farm from 100 yards out to 1500 yards, it's definitely worth booking a weekend. He teaches civilians, military, LE and govt operators.

a g guns offers a class. per the web, 2 people, per class.
I called, he will schedule based on demand, ie. if you call, he'll schedule.
gott check out the calender, and give them a call.
I think the web said $100.00

www.agguns.com

select the middle item on the front page, that will bring you to the class info
this is from their web

HANDGUN

Tuition: $ 100.00

Have the master reloader "A.G." show you the techniques involved in reloading handgun ammunition. Thirty (30) years of experience has allowed "A.G." to present his own loading techniques, which will eliminate the most common errors. Students will be exposed to single stage and progressive reloaders such as the RCBS Rock Chucker, Lee Loadmaster and Dillon RL 550B. The course will cover procedures and stages associated with reloading handgun ammo including discussions pertaining to appropriate powder choices, primers, bullet heads, proper shell selection and sizing, ballistic measurements, etc. Custom handgun loads are a favorite of most shooters and this four hour course will have the beginner loading super quality handloads. Students will manufacture various cartridges and calibers. Maximum two students per class. A.G. Guns & Ammo is an authorized Dillon dealer, stocking all Dillon presses. Those students who wish to purchase their own machinery may do so at Dillon catalog prices! Call for next available class, (978)-453-4193.

garyz

I'm also interested.. not sure when I'll start but I'm curious for sure. I'm close by to AG as well. Let me know if anyone takes the class.

Garyz, Lugnut. I'm definitely interested in doing this. I'm assuming they do the classes on a Saturday or Sunday. Garyz's email below indicates they do classes of two, but we could see if they will do a class of three. If you both want to do it I'll call and see when they can schedule a class. Let me know.

Sunday's work best for me... although probably later on Sats (depending on kids' game schedule).

Mike Wheelock, of Tite Group Sports in Northboro, MA, also offers a course in NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading. His phone number at the shop is 508 393-8558.

Last edited:
lugnut / rock
I'm in, if they'll do a trio. sunday is good for me too,
but see what they have to say, I'll make any day work.

garyz

Garyz / Lugnut

Ok, I talked to Dennis at AG Guns and he has no problem in teaching a class with three people in it. He does the class on Sundays, so it looks like that will be fine with all three of us. He does ask that we agree on one caliber and that is the one he will teach through the class. I'd like to reload 45s, but am more interested in just learning, so let me know if you'd like to start with a different caliber.

The class is 3-5 hours long and it's at his house where he has all of his reloading equipment. His calendar is at home, but he believes that the 9th and 16th of September are open. He will check tonight to make sure and let me know tomorrow

Let me know if these dates work for you.

Might work for me but it depends on the time. I need to get our coaching schedule first as our season starts next week and we have games on Sats.

Thanks for looking into this. I'm fine with .45s, .40 or 9mm as that's what I shoot most.

let me know, I'll make it work.
any caliber is good, I'm guessing it's the same process regardless, as long as you stay in pistol caliber.

thx for calling and getting the info

garyz

Garyz / Lugnut

I heard from Dennis and he has Sunday, Sept 17th and 24th open. Unfortunately I cannot make the 24th, but I'm free on the 17th. It would start in the AM.

Would the 17th work for both of you?

Well, I took the reloading class from Dennis @ agguns
along w/ Rockrivr1 and lugnut (both nice guys)
nice to meet both of you
Dennis is a funny guy, sort of,
he taught the class on a single stage rcbs press, using a hand primer.
now, thebostonpatriot sent me a dillion video, which had me thinking twice due to the complexity, or so I thought. learning on the single stage press made all of it make a lot of sense. it's not as bad as it sounds, actually seems pretty easy. one step at a time. if anyone is interested in learing about it, I would suggest taking the class w/ Dennis, $100.00
for about 3hrs or so, it was well worth the time and money.

rock, thanks for making this happen

garyz

Back
Top Bottom