• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Class III in CT

So I want to go silenced on my pre ban AR and am thinking about building an auto AR as well. So all I really know about getting a Class III firearm is there is the extra tax stamp that has to be paid.

Is the tax stamp a one time or yearly fee?

Can a silencer only be sold by a Class III dealer?

Is it true that a person with Class III firearms gives up their right to proper search and seizure?

You'll need a pre May '86 registered lower for your build.

Tax stamp is once only fee.

Not sure if silencers are legal in your state. Check local laws for that. Otherwise a Class 3 dealer will be able to sell you one.

You can have cans in CT. Look into a trust if you want it to be transfered to someone later (like your wife or kids) otherwise they must be destroyed as they are non transferable if owned by an individual if you kick the bucket.

I thought MG's where a no-no in CT, or am I thinking of RI?

Legal as long as they were registered as MG when the ban was put in place. [STRIKE]No new MG.[/STRIKE]

Update: I'm not sure why I typed that, I was thinking about the OPs preban build question and meant you cannot just buy a preban and make it full auto on your own just cause it was made pre '94.

Last edited:
You can own machine guns in CT, as well as buy a MG that is “new to you”; MGs must be full auto only (unless they are registered as an assault weapon in 1994) per statute 53-202 section (h).

You can own silencers in CT per 53a-211 section (b). [statute section “53A” this time, not “53”]

A pre-ban A-15 is one that was manufactured prior to September 13, 1994, per 53-202m.

Class III firearms, including silencers I would assume, may be passed down to heirs. The executor of your estate retains possession and makes the tax free transfer via BATF form 5. http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-9.pdf

The tax stamp is a onetime thing, $200.

I’m under the belief that the BATF can come and inspect your paperwork; but not a “knock – knock let us in” scenario.

You can buy a silencer from a dealer or private party in-state. Used silencers are not a popular item; and I would recommend using a dealer anyway. The paperwork issue is HUGE (ie jail time involved), but easy to do. Many people have their own opinion of what is right and legal – this sometimes differs from what the statute books say. The purchasing process is easy, so long as you can get a signature from your local chief of police or other authorized signature per the BATF.

xtry - you seem to be adding confusion here. Please delete last post.

New full auto is not ok. Its not ok anywhere in the country.
All legally owned, transferable machineguns had to have been made before a certain date in 1986. (can't remember the date)

There are NO additional restrictions on MGs in CT other than it must be full auto only. (Can't be select fire, which means it is also capable of semi-auto fire)
All civilian legal MGs can be legally transferred within and into and out of the state as market conditions dictate provided appropriate form 3s and 4s along with the appropriate $200 tax are filed and paid.

Finally, your reference to MGs being legal as long as they were registered when a "ban was put in place", is also confusing. It sounds like you are referencing the CT AWB. If you are, your answer is wrong. Again, MGs had to be registered as part of the NFA in 1934. Every MG built after 1934 had to be registered and have a $200 tax paid on it when it was originally sold or transfered among owners. Nothing has changed

What changed was the FOPA (Firearms Owners Protection Act) of 1986. Which disallowed any future manufacturing of civilian transferable machine guns. This fixed the number of legally transferrable guns and began the cost spiral that we see today.

All the CT AWB was require that owners of 99.9% of all MGs in the state remove the semi-auto fire control parts.

Also, you do not need a pre86 registered MG lower to make a machine gun. You don't even need a pre-94 CT AWB lower. You can make a perfectly legal MG by dropping in a registered Drop In Auto Sear or a Lightning Link.

Don

What about samples? I know we're venturing into FFL/manufacturing territory with that one, but it is a way to get a new MG.

There are most certainly post 1934 and post 1986 machine guns in the hands of private owners.

Last edited:
Samples are a major pain in the butt.

First you have to be an FFL. If you are an 02/dealer with a SOT, you would have to buy the MG. If you were an 07/Manufacturer with a SOT you could buy or make the MG.

In order to acquire/make the sample you need a demo request letter on department letterhead from an authorized person requesting a demo. Once the demo is done, you can keep the MG.

However, you can ONLY keep it as long as you maintain both the FFL and the SOT. The FFL is no big deal since it cost only $50/yr for an 07. The SOT however is $500/yr.
If you let either of them lapse you must either sell or destroy the MG.

So really, it is NOT a way to get a new MG. That gun will NEVER become a transferable MG.

The botom line is that the mythical LE demo letter is very difficult to get since in reality, no PDs actually want anything that fires full auto.

Don

p.s. everything I said above is in reference to FEDERAL regulations. Like I said before, CT doesn't regulate MGs.

Last edited:
Samples are a major pain in the butt.

First you have to be an FFL. If you are an 02/dealer with a SOT, you would have to buy the MG. If you were an 07/Manufacturer with a SOT you could buy or make the MG.

In order to acquire/make the sample you need a demo request letter on department letterhead from an authorized person requesting a demo. Once the demo is done, you can keep the MG.

However, you can ONLY keep it as long as you maintain both the FFL and the SOT. The FFL is no big deal since it cost only $50/yr for an 07. The SOT however is $500/yr.
If you let either of them lapse you must either sell or destroy the MG.

The botom line is that the mythical LE demo letter is very difficult to get since in reality, no PDs actually want anything that fires full auto.

Don

Just pointing out it's possible in case someone reading has much deeper pockets than us [smile]

But if you have deep pockets, you'll just buy a transferable gun and be done with it. No FFL hassles. No bound book. No inspections by the ATF. Just write a $13,000 check for an M16 nobody bothers you.

About the only reason I could possibly imagine for doing a post ban gun on a demo letter is if you must have a gun that was made only after '86 and therefore doesn't exist as a registered transferable MG.

For example, lets say you wanted a full auto Glock or a SCAR.

But if you want something like an M16 or an UZI, a Sten, M2 Carbine, Tommy Gun or something like that, just buy transferable and be done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom