• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Class B 380 or 9mm

my girlfriend needs a gun thats comfotrably in her small hands. she wants 380 or 9mm. im leaning toward 9mm. whats are you young ladies shooting, and what do your wives shoot.

My wife carries a s&w airweight 642. .38 special. She had a tough time with the slide on a .380. No problem with a full size 9 mm though.

My wife carries a s&w airweight 642. .38 special. She had a tough time with the slide on a .380. No problem with a full size 9 mm though.

OP's wife has a Class B so I'm pretty sure that means no concealed carry...

My girlfriend doesn't like the recoil from the 9mm, but likes the S&W 686 revolver with 38special.

For .380 I have the Sig p238 and for 9mm I have the Sig p229 and S&W 3913. All fit really well in my child size hands.

my girlfriend prefers my M&P360 in .38 over my sig p229 in 9mm and she shoots fairly well with both despite her lack of round count on either. roughly 200rds on the 360 and probably about 1000 or more on the p229. shes only 5'5" with small hands but she handles 158 gr. .357 magnums like a champ too!

What is the purpose of the gun? LTC B does not permit concealed carry, so I assume this is for target practice. If this is the case, maybe a Ruger MK III target. It's a great gun, cheap to shoot all day long, and doesn't have the recoil that a small format 9mm (Glock 19/26) would have, which some people find unsettling.

Facts: She has a Class B license
Looking for a .380 or 9mm for small hands.

As I agree, a MKIII is a great option for a target gun, she may be looking to upgrade her license class in the future, and maybe the BF has a Class A, and will be able to carry what she buys!

My fiance liked my 229 9mm, but with the hogue grips its a bit big for her hands. She now REALLY likes my Sig 238. When her LTC comes through that's probably what I'll get her.

9mm is better but you are going to have a tough time to find a 9mm that isn't too small that is legal under a B.

A Kahr K9 is probably a decent gun, if you can find one at a reasonable price.

Sig P239 in 9mm is also a good choice, if you put the hogue grips on it. Those are native 8+1 so they definitely are OK on a B.

-Mike

You might consider finding a used Smith Model 39. Single stack (8 rounds), slim profile for smaller hands, and a fairly easy slide to rack. I know this, as my wife, who is strong as can be, has a lot of trouble operating the slide on most of my semi-autos, and she has no problem with the Model 39.

Chris

Facts: She has a Class B license
Looking for a .380 or 9mm for small hands.

That's fine. I'm asking because my first draft of a response went on about how .380s apparently suffer from high rates of FTFs, and how I thought my wife should get a G19, but she thinks it kicks too much, etc, etc. I finally set her loose at GFA and she ended up with an Airweight 642, which she loves, and will carry, but at the range she prefers the MK III because it's cheap, easy, has a lighter trigger, and reloads less often.

So if it is for future carry, that could be a totally different gun from what the OP and his GF are thinking, and the best carry gun might not be a gun you want to run a ton of ammo through on the range to become a proficient shooter. This isn't to say you shouldn't be proficient with your carry gun, but the trigger pull on the 642 ain't light, so you probably aren't putting 300 rounds through it in one sitting. At least, I'm not.

i picked up a walther pps 9mm and my wife loves it.the pps is a good ccw.

Like wolkiller said. +1.

I have tried all the Glocks, M&Ps, 1911s, and Sigs, and more. The Walther PPS 9mm is the best. It's fit and finish is high end, especially the slide to frame feel is tight. I mean it feels like it's on ball bearings when I cycle the gun. If you carry this champ, you won't even no it's there.

Jack

Class B license is an insult

What department is issuing a Class B? Most chiefs will restrict a Class A rather than issue a Class B. Ron Glidden, the foremost authority of firearms law for law enforcement recommends that chiefs should not issue Class B licenses. Furthmore, I think that restricting a woman's right to carry is one of the most severe consequences of our current licensing system in Massachusetts.

Sig P239 is nice and narrow but still has enough weight to it that it should still be a soft shooter. S&w 908 would also be a nice choice, and they can be had for $400-450.

What department is issuing a Class B? Most chiefs will restrict a Class A rather than issue a Class B. Ron Glidden, the foremost authority of firearms law for law enforcement recommends that chiefs should not issue Class B licenses. Furthmore, I think that restricting a woman's right to carry is one of the most severe consequences of our current licensing system in Massachusetts.

Salem MA use to B-ram people. They did it with my license when I lived there ten years ago.

They didn't even let me apply for an A ... the sergeant basically asked me what I wanted and when I said an A license he entered B into the computer.

Thank God I moved to NH.

Back
Top Bottom