• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

clarity on carrying in an automobile

I will have my CT carry permit shortly and I am studying the laws so I remain compliant. The question I can't find answers to is: If you have a pistol permit, is it legal to carry a loaded pistol in your vehicle? All I read is how it must be locked in a case if you carry in a vehicle. It never states that a pistol permit overrides that. I copied the verbage below. Can anyone answer with certainty? Thank

law copied:

Motor Vehicles

By law, when handguns are being transported in a motor vehicle, they must be unloaded and kept (1) in a place not readily or directly accessible from the passenger compartment or (2) in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console (CGS § 29-35). A violation carries a penalty of one to five years imprisonment, a fine of up to $1,000, or both, with a mandatory minimum one-year sentence in the absence of mitigating circumstances (CGS § 29-37).

Last edited:
I believe if you have an unrestricted class A, the gun does not have to be in a locked container as long as it is under your direct control, meaning you are carrying it concealed in holster on your person. Also, I believe the under steering wheel holster attachment or similar would be okay. However, if you get out of your car to walk into a store or pump gas, this probably isn't a good idea. You want to make a distinction between you being in control of the firearm and not your passenger(s). If you are on school property the gun had better be unloaded and in a locked container before you enter school grounds and the ammo (including loaded mags) has to be kept separate. If you are near Northborough, check out the Mass gun laws class at GOAL. I think it is only 15 bucks, so it is well worth the price. There are also similar classes offered by other instructors around the state if that is too far for you to travel.

This is the Connecticut Law forum, and the OP I believe is asking questions about CT law. The MA specific info is probably not helpful.

OP, sorry I can't offer more info for you, I know much more about the RI Firearms Act, not so much about CT.

I believe if you have an unrestricted class A, the gun does not have to be in a locked container as long as it is under your direct control, meaning you are carrying it concealed in holster on your person. Also, I believe the under steering wheel holster attachment or similar would be okay. However, if you get out of your car to walk into a store or pump gas, this probably isn't a good idea. You want to make a distinction between you being in control of the firearm and not your passenger(s). If you are on school property the gun had better be unloaded and in a locked container before you enter school grounds and the ammo (including loaded mags) has to be kept separate. If you are near Northborough, check out the Mass gun laws class at GOAL. I think it is only 15 bucks, so it is well worth the price. There are also similar classes offered by other instructors around the state if that is too far for you to travel.
Thread was posted in the Connecticut law section. I don't think he's looking for the MA laws.

Well, thanks for trying! It is quite vague. Why would it be ok to carry but you can't carry in your car? However, I've not seen a thing to say otherwise.

Interesting question. A quick review of the laws posted on the CT BFPE page does not yield an exception for carrying loaded handguns in a vehicle with a permit.

It's gotta be in there somewhere, I just couldn't find it with a cursory look.

Frustrating, huh? You'd think with all the CT residents here that someone would know for sure. Otherwise, everyone may be carrying illegally in their car. I can't see carrying, unloading and locking to drive, unlocking and loading to carry again, getting back into car and unloading again, etc. It seems more dangerous than anything (handling, unloading and reloading, etc.) but I sure can't find the law that states it's ok to carry loaded. Weird.

As the law states "TRANSPORTING" it must be unloaded and in locked container. If your "CARRYING" that you carring not transporting. And can carry your loaded hand gun on your person, even if your driving a car.

I know carry in a car in CT is legal with a permit. Trick is finding the verbiage, or the clarification from the state on the issue.

-Mike

This is the grey area I wished to avoid. To me, if you are carrying it you are still transporting it but it's on your person. Carrying it loaded is legal but transporting it loaded isn't legal? Very confusing and with a year in jail as the "prize" I don't wish to "assume" anything. That was why I was looking it up in the first place, so I could find and print hard evidence. So far, no luck....

trans·port
   [v. trans-pawrt, -pohrt; n. trans-pawrt, -pohrt] Show IPA

verb (used with object)
to carry, move, or convey from one place to another.

Last edited:
I see you have been reading an OLR Research Report [wink], but if you read the actual statute referenced (CGS 29-35), it states (in part)...

...For the purposes of this subsection..."transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console...

http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap529.htm#Sec29-35.htm

So transporting =/= carrying.

Also from the OLR...

...Anyone who knowingly carries in his vehicle a handgun for which a permit was not issued is subject to a fine of up to $1,000, imprisonment for up to five years, or both (CGS § 29-38)...

http://search.cga.state.ct.us/olr/d...+16+1c8+1c9+1ca+&hc=6&req=2005-R-0451+&Item=0

So, in summary, it states that is is a crime only if you do not have a permit, meaning it is legal to have a loaded handgun in a vehicle if you do have a permit?

So, in summary, it states that is is a crime only if you do not have a permit, meaning it is legal to have a loaded handgun in a vehicle if you do have a permit?

Yes...

Sec. 29-38. Weapons in vehicles. Penalty. Exceptions. (a) Any person who knowingly has, in any vehicle owned, operated or occupied by such person ... any pistol or revolver for which a proper permit has not been issued as provided in section 29-28 ... shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years or both...

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap529.htm#Sec29-38.htm

This is the grey area I wished to avoid. To me, if you are carrying it you are still transporting it but it's on your person. Carrying it loaded is legal but transporting it loaded isn't legal? Very confusing and with a year in jail as the "prize" I don't wish to "assume" anything. That was why I was looking it up in the first place, so I could find and print hard evidence. So far, no luck....

trans·port
   [v. trans-pawrt, -pohrt; n. trans-pawrt, -pohrt] Show IPA

verb (used with object)
to carry, move, or convey from one place to another.

Your problem lies in assuming that words used in statute have the same meaning as they do in customary use.

That is often not the case and why many statutes begins with Definitions.

Thanks to all who have responded. No wonder it takes thousands of written pages to introduce and pass a law. You guys have answered my question. Thanks again.

Carry is on your person. Transport is in the vehicle.

It's legal to have a loaded handgun "on you"(carry) while in a vehicle as long as you have a permit. In a holster "on you" is O.K., but loaded or unlocked any where else in the vehicle(transport) is not O.K. You’re just asking for trouble if you do it. The thought process is that as long as it is on you you are always in control of the weapon. If in the glove box, on the side of your seat, in the center counsel, etc, if you step out of the vehicle for any reason, you are no longer in control of the weapon. This really makes sense if you think about it.

The bigger issue in CT is that it is actually legal to carry a pistol exposed if you have a permit to carry, but don't try it unless you wish to be arrested and or harassed. CT does not issue a concealed weapons permit, it is a permit to carry. There was a big case involving a CT gun shop where the employee went to pick up their takeout order and he was arrested because someone at the restaurant called the police. Even though it is technically legal to carry an exposed pistol in CT, it must be carried in a way as not create a public disturbance. Good luck with that. I don't believe many officers and or troopers in CT even completely understand the laws regarding carrying a pistol in CT. Maybe they actually do, but many officers and troopers don't believe anyone should be carrying but themselves.

Last edited:
Carry is on your person. Transport is in the vehicle.

It's legal to have a loaded handgun "on you"(carry) while in a vehicle as long as you have a permit. In a holster "on you" is O.K., but loaded or unlocked any where else in the vehicle(transport) is not O.K. You’re just asking for trouble if you do it. The thought process is that as long as it is on you you are always in control of the weapon. If in the glove box, on the side of your seat, in the center counsel, etc, if you step out of the vehicle for any reason, you are no longer in control of the weapon. This really makes sense if you think about it.

The bigger issue in CT is that it is actually legal to carry a pistol exposed if you have a permit to carry, but don't try it unless you wish to be arrested and or harassed. CT does not issue a concealed weapons permit, it is a permit to carry. There was a big case involving a CT gun shop where the employee went to pick up their takeout order and he was arrested because someone at the restaurant called the police. Even though it is technically legal to carry an exposed pistol in CT, it must be carried in a way as not create a public disturbance. Good luck with that. I don't believe many officers and or troopers in CT even completely understand the laws regarding carrying a pistol in CT. Maybe they actually do, but many officers and troopers don't believe anyone should be carrying but themselves.

Don't post this bullshit again.

I don't care about other peoples "feelings." What's legal is legal. Also, see post #16. When a permit is present, I can carry any way I wish in my vehicle and leave it in there locked up, or in plain view. Police need a search warrant for your glove box, center console and your trunk. The former two need to be locked, obviously you're not under any obligation to ever open your trunk. Long guns in CT can be transported in the passenger seat right next to me with the ammo sitting right next to it. Shotguns can't have any rounds in the tube, and rifles mags can be loaded just not seated in the mag well. As for open carry, the CT Board of Firearms Permit Examiners has already stated to nearly every Chief of Police in the state, with a 5-0 ruling, that they will NOT revoke permits for open carry when charged with any type of public disturbance charges.

Open carry is legal and understood by most towns in CT. I wouldn't do it in New Britain, as they are like the Gestapo when it comes to recognition of CT carry laws, I just don't want the headache.

As for carrying in your car, as others have said, legal with permit. Use common sense and basic gun safe storage rules and you'll be fine.

I have OC'd a few times, just to see what might happen, in my local area (Farmington Valley), with no issues (and I am covered in tattoos, don't conceal those in the summer, ever).

I prefer CC, as it serves my purpose better, defense.

Why does this stuff come up all the time. It must be MA folks moving to CT.

Here's the synopsis of CT firearms laws with respect to carrying in a MV.

1) Handguns without a permit - refer to 29-35 for exceptions that allow unloaded transport.
2) handguns with a permit - perfectly legal - also stated in 29-35.

3) Rifles and Shotguns - can be carried anywhere, anyhow, any why in your car as long as its not loaded. in other words, you can have a loaded 100 round betamag in one hand and your (postban) AR across your lap and you are not breaking any statutes. As long as you keep the chamber empty and the mag out of the rifle.

NO permit,FID, LTC or any other governmental permission is required to buy, own, or carry a long gun in CT.

Sec. 53-205. Loaded shotguns, rifles and muzzleloaders prohibited in vehicles and snowmobiles. (a) No person shall carry or possess in any vehicle or snowmobile any shotgun, rifle or muzzleloader of any gauge or caliber while such shotgun, rifle or muzzleloader contains in the barrel, chamber or magazine any loaded shell or cartridge capable of being discharged or when such muzzleloader has a percussion cap in place or when the powder pan of a flintlock contains powder. As used in this subsection, "muzzleloader" means a rifle or shotgun that is incapable of firing a self-contained cartridge and must be loaded at the muzzle end.

Its just that simple.

Oh yeah. I'm having a hard time finding the citation, but machine guns and registered assault weapons must be locked in the trunk. Maybe someone can find the statute for specifics.

There you have it.

Its not gray. its black and white. Bottom line is just get a pistol permit, then you don't have to think. Its all legal.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck to you if you ever get pulled over with a loaded pistol in your glove box even if you have a permit.

Uh. . you're kidding right? It happens all the time. No problem.

How old are you? How long have you been shooting?

Why are you spreading this crap that will discourage people from lawfully exercising their rights?
Do us all a favor and go back to playing XBox. You don't know enough to know that you don't know much. Open your ears rather than spouting crap, you might learn something.

Last edited:
Open carry is legal and understood by most towns in CT. I wouldn't do it in New Britain, as they are like the Gestapo when it comes to recognition of CT carry laws, I just don't want the headache.

As for carrying in your car, as others have said, legal with permit. Use common sense and basic gun safe storage rules and you'll be fine.

I have OC'd a few times, just to see what might happen, in my local area (Farmington Valley), with no issues (and I am covered in tattoos, don't conceal those in the summer, ever).

I prefer CC, as it serves my purpose better, defense.

Brad, this is well intentioned, but somewhat incorrect.

I know several people who OC in NB. In fact NB is the only town left that specifically outlaws CC. (the law is worthless because its in conflict with CT statutes, but its on the books none the less). OCers have used that ordinance as an excuse to OC in NB for years. If memory serves me right, one of the founding members of CCDL is from NB.

As for carrying in the car, you DON'T have to follow "basic gun safe storage rules", whatever that is. The law is very clear. If you have a permit, the only thing you could do that would be illegal with a gun in a car is carry a loaded rifle or shotgun. (excluding MGs and AWs). If you were implying the gun should be in the trunk, you are mistaken. If you are implying the gun should be cased, you are mistaken. Again, there is no gray. The law is black and white about what is what is not legal.

If this was not what you intended to convey, I apologize. However, I will use this to illustrate that when discussing the law, we must be very concise and explicit. Statements like "basic gun safe storage rules" are unnecessarily vague. Say what you mean. Explicitly.

Re CC and defense - I agree completely. I strongly support people's right to OC, but don't do it myself.

Here's a link to some great audio recorded by my friend Rich Burgess. He is OCing in New Haven and verbally assaulted by an officer.
Rich knows the law, and so does the cop, who immediately backs down when Rich challenges him.

http://subtlehustle.org/NewHavenRudeOfficer/New Haven OC incident 4-2-2011.mp3

Don

Last edited:

CT FORUM!

Oh yeah. I'm having a hard time finding the citation, but machine guns and registered assault weapons must be locked in the trunk. Maybe someone can find the statute for specifics.

Vehicular transport of AWs is controlled by CGS 53-202f.

I am unaware of any similar restrictions regarding MGs.

Yes you can.

Only rifles and shotguns must be transported unloaded. Loaded mags sitting right next to them are OK though, just not inserted or a round chambered.

Back
Top Bottom