clarification needed please

so it turns out i will not be living in PA but rather in Mount Laurel, NJ and i just want to clarify a law so i am not thrown in jail. if i buy a handgun in MA and then move to NJ, do i need to register the gun to keep it in my house?

i read one thing that said registration is voluntary but then the law also says that possession of a handgun requires a permit. is the permit only required if i bought the handgun in NJ?

good luck getting a permit in NJ... seriously if you are a pro 2A person and you think MA sucks, wait till you see Jersey.

good luck getting a permit in NJ... seriously if you are a pro 2A person and you think MA sucks, wait till you see Jersey.

"It is unlawful to knowingly possess any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a Permit to Carry, and it is unlawful to knowingly possess any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID), however, no Permit to Carry or FID is required:
1. To keep or carry any firearm about a person’s place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him; a place of business shall be deemed a fixed location."

This seems to say that just keeping in my house does not require a permit. Am I reading this wrong?

"It is unlawful to knowingly possess any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a Permit to Carry, and it is unlawful to knowingly possess any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID), however, no Permit to Carry or FID is required:
1. To keep or carry any firearm about a person’s place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him; a place of business shall be deemed a fixed location."

This seems to say that just keeping in my house does not require a permit. Am I reading this wrong?

ETM:

I read it backwards. Even so:

Get thee across the state line to PA.

Last edited:
well if you just want to keep it in your house than you are (and IANAL) covered BUT try to get any sort of a CCW permit..fuggetaboutit

If there is ANY possible way to do it, live in PA and commute.

i really wish i could. my job in in lakehurst at the Naval Warfare Center and the commute would be way to hard coming from PA everyday. From Mt Laurel, its already a 45min drive so it would be well over an hour if i was to come from PA, and thats not counting any rush hour traffic i would run into on the Walt Whitman or Ben Franklin bridge.

so it turns out i will not be living in PA but rather in Mount Laurel, NJ and i just want to clarify a law so i am not thrown in jail. if i buy a handgun in MA and then move to NJ, do i need to register the gun to keep it in my house?

i read one thing that said registration is voluntary but then the law also says that possession of a handgun requires a permit. is the permit only required if i bought the handgun in NJ?

You do not need a permit if you already own the gun. You need a permit to purchase. If the gun is to remain on your property you can carry it while you are mowing the lawn, whatever. If you have all of the paperwork that the gun came with (purchase, etc) you should be good to go. Remember that NJ does NOT have very liberal possession and transport laws.

If you want to carry in NJ and you are not LEO or retired LEO forget it they will not issue you a permit. There is no "mandatory" registration in NJ. As long as the firearm is legal to posess in NJ then you should be just fine having it in your home. They dont care who moves to the state with firearms as long as they are not on the NJ banned list and meet the NJ requirements..i.e no magazines that hold more than 15 rounds etc and the list of "evil features that NJ has invented. Traveling in NJ with a firearm is fine as long as you follow the federal safe passage laws.

Back
Top Bottom