• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Clambag noise complaints- article in the Union Leader

My favorite part is the guy saying they should build an indoor facility. Jim from MFLR chimed in on the comments regarding sunk and operating costs of a range like his. Good man.

My wife who is an avid golfer says that course is a dump, and the people who play there are newbies with no understanding of golf etiquette who are talking through the game anyway.

F THEM.

Hey - ever heard of indoor golf courses? The Japanese have them. Eighteen holes on 18 floors. Easy enough for club members to pony up the cash and build them, right? Then they can play when it rains and snows. No gunshots be be heard.

I checked but found no RPDGB - "Right to Putt and Drive Golfballs" - in the US Constitution.

That, and an errantly hit golfball just might hit a shooter - reason enough to put them behind walls.

Comment win:

Steve Cox said:

I am the secretary of the Londonderry Fish & Game Club. I will ask the club for authorization to provide, free of charge to golfers at the Londonderry Country Club, and endless supply of ear plugs. They can insert the ear plugs while golfing and eliminate the alleged nuisance. However, I must caution MR. Kimball about him in particular using ear plugs. If he pushes them in too hard, they will fall into the empty space between his ears.
(Report Abuse)
September 13, 2012 9:40 am

I sent an email to the articles author decrying the lack of balance in her screed. She actually responded and informed that that there would be a follow up with comments from the club's officers.

There was a second one sided piece published in our local paper.
http://www.nutpub.net/LThome.html

The owner of the golf course is a well known whiner as he has gone before the Town Council previously wailing about the annonying noise that interrupts his good walk spoiled.

I will be contacting the councilors again to remind them that any curtailing of shooting is the states purview and not theirs.

“You look in the police logs and it's there. People complain about the gunshots, not knowing where they're coming from,” Kimball said.

It may be coming from the firing range next door, you morons.

IIRC New Hampshire Supreme Court has already addressed this issue with another club and the club won, The New Hampshire Supreme Court upheld the range protection law. So that golf course can Eat Shit and Die, plus that a golf course is the waste of land that could be used for more ranges.

Not only that, the range was established in 1951. The Golf club was established in 1969. The owner of the gold club can ESAD, the range was there first.

Olson noted that his club is actually located much closer to another golf course: the Hidden Creek Country Club on Morgan Road in Litchfield.
“We've gotten no grief from them whatsoever,” he said, adding that complaints from residents living in nearby homes are also a rarity. “So I feel this isn't really an issue of noise pollution. This is an issue of someone who's intolerant to the sounds of gunfire.”

thought this was a good quote from the second article. i think one of the commenters said something about a spoiled rich boy haha

My wife who is an avid golfer says that course is a dump, and the people who play there are newbies with no understanding of golf etiquette who are talking through the game anyway.

F THEM.

If tiger woods was birthed on the 8th hole of this coarse I could still not care less about what they have to say. And on another note I think this club sounds like a fine place for the next anual car shoot I will pony up for lots of stuff that explodes.

Best comment:

Bill Hubbard said:

Building an indoor facility is a great idea and a viable solution. Mr. Kimball may need a variance for the ceiling height to facilitate chip shots, though, as the country club is near MHT flight/approach paths.

Guess, I'll weigh in here...Sorry for the delay, but today is opening day for Archery Deer season and, well, you know, I have my priorities.

I am not only the New Hampshire Wildlife Federation President, But I am also the President of the Londonderry Fish & Game Club. LFGC is 700 members deep and is an 80-Acre facility located on the western cusp of the 900-Acre Musquash Conserevation Land.

Tom Kimball is your basic Quixotic Curmudgeon. And the Town Council is a bunch of idiots. Why have a Council meeting at his Country Club? People will either agree or disagree that the gunfire sounds are either bothersome or not bothersome because the whole metric is subjective. So they have this stupid meeting and then what? what is the plan of resolution? Surely not a noise control ordinance? that wont fly because we are legislatively protected from it, retroactively, or otherwise. So without further adieu here is my press release on the matter:

The Londonderry Town Council will hold a council meeting at the Londonderry Country Club. The venue for the meeting was decided after Golf Club Owner Thomas Kimball renewed his ongoing complaints about gunfire noise emanating from the Londonderry Police Shooting range, heard on his golf course. Council Chairman John Farrell acknowledged that he could find no remedy under state statute, yet council will move forward with the meeting at the Private Club so that attendees can hear the complained-about gunfire.

"This is mere bread and circus" counters Olson. The Town-Owned 900-Acre Musquash Conservation Land has long been the subject of frustration for a few surrounding residents because some in Town utilize portions of that parcel along with the adjacent power line corridors for target shooting. Often times, shooters are very close to residences and leave a considerable amount of trash behind following shooting activities. The fact that Londonderry recently studied the feasibility of building a public shooting range, underscores the problem.

"A failure on the part of the town to effectively manage and police the uses of public lands by some does not rise to the level of undertaking an action item, whereby LFGC is the target of that action item." Olson asserts. Olson adds, "The Londonderry Fish & Game Club has four active shooting ranges that are managed, supervised and well-maintained. LFGC assumes and undertakes the associated costs and resources for managing its' property. "I don't see the town's taxpayers likely taking up the mantle to offer and operate a public shooting range."

Olson concludes, "The town is merely wasting time holding a meeting at Londonderry Country Club. I am failing to see the purpose or scope of what is to be accomplished by this meeting. Irrespective of whether the various parties agree or disagree to the nature and extent of gunfire noise pollution, the town is statutorily foreclosed from adopting any rules or ordinances that limits, alters or changes the way Londonderry Fish & Game Club operates. A Town council action item, so topic-specific and where the town's attorney is so prominently included in the action item cannot be broadly interpreted by the LFGC and the town is grabbing at straws."

Be careful when someone says, "Send in the Clowns"

here are the two News articles:
Fairways, firing ranges don't mix in Londonderry

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120913/NEWS06/709139920/0/NEWHAMPSHIRE0701

Londonderry Fish and Game Club says gunfire isn't noise pollution

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120914/NEWHAMPSHIRE03/709149897

I write regularly for Granite Grok. On July 21, I wrote about this very same thing only, it was Monadnock Rod and Gun Club in Peterborough who was in the cross-hairs of an action-minded town select board. I covered all of the underlying issues there.
http://granitegrok.com/blog/2012/07/anatomy-of-gun-range-neighbors

On July 24, I received an e-mail from one of the cowardly neighbors who sent me an anonymous e-mail condemning me for posting up a the chief whiners tax and real estate information. the e-mailer accused me of "slander" to which I responded in my blog entry that, a) all information posted is readily available and "publicly accessible; 2) If I had told an untruth it wouldn't be "slander", but, "libelous." (We are dealing with stupid people.)
http://granitegrok.com/blog/2012/07/idiots-and-cowards-who-complain-about-gun-ranges

So, if any of you are fancying a visceral release, feel free to click on those links and comment. Especially the UL stories. Before that town meeting, I want a decisive lop-sided public opinion win, walking through the door and being amongst the, "We love talking animals," crowd. I can hardly wait till that meeting...I am going to rally the troops so that people will have to flow out the doors. I want him to feel small and humiliated. Have I taken this personally? YOU BET!

Thanks for reading, friends,

Rick

Having read the article by Mr. Olson, The selectmen should not engage this dog and pony show. In fact if Mr Kimball continues to harrass the gun club and start to cost money, Maybe the Gun club should bring suit against Mr. Kimball and his golf course. Since there is case law on this none of this should be going on. The attorney of record for the Gun Club needs to send the town and the Golf course owner a notice to cease and desist, as this issue has already been settled. Maybe DES needs to check what kind of fertilizer he is using, What kind of Fungaside he is using on the greens, where is the run off going with those items.
Maybe some one from the area needs to send a Records request to DES and get those answers.

I have my soil and water samples and that is all I will say for now...[laugh]

It may be coming from the firing range next door, you morons.

Nope...that is Kimball's bread and circus...his misdirection....there is 900 acres of Musquash Conservation (Public) land that people frequent for target practice, not to mention the number of power line corridors used for the same. It is those folks that people call the police on and complain not us. Rick-LFGC....Kimball is a big red rubber douchebag.

Back
Top Bottom