Civility is suffering

Great post. Know exactly what you bring to the table and don’t be afraid to eat alone.

You (we all) have to remind ourselves that a lot of folks in the online communities were shut ins before all this lock down started, they’ve never really felt or lived in an alpha role outside or in their daily lives.

Now give them some seniority online, a cheap plate carrier and a couple guns in their safe and they assume an alpha personality, without the actual experience of learning and understanding that being an alpha actually doesn’t mean talking shit and being an a**h*** to everybody around you.

You can see that in the temper tantrums that they throw and the amount of disrespect they expel to others they don’t even know, without fear of any physical backlash that would’ve been learned on the street.

(Excerpt from Dr Cams’ daily motivational)

I was an active participant on rec.motorcycles.harley, and there was a poster who lived in Ohio who kept giving me shit. Above and beyond what was "normal" for that time and place. I told him that if he didn't lighten up that I'd take a ride and come visit him. A couple of other people who know me told him that I wasn't joking. He didn't believe me or them.

A friend of friends lived in assisted living at that time - he'd been in a horrible motorcycle accident - and some of my friends put together a birthday party for him. The party was in Ohio. Can you guess where this is going?

My buddy Bob lives in Vermont. I met him in Massachusetts, and we rode out to Ohio for the weekend. Keyboard commando literally turned white when we were introduced. I didn't have to say a word, just smiled.

We celebrated Eddie's birthday, and Bob and I rode home. That poster in rmh was a lot more civil after that.

What he hadn't understood was that rmh was chock full of guys who love to ride. I have friends I met there who live all over the country, literally, and I've been to many of their homes - had many of them in my homes.

This is a big country, but we can travel freely throughout it.

I was an active participant on rec.motorcycles.harley, and there was a poster who lived in Ohio who kept giving me shit. Above and beyond what was "normal" for that time and place. I told him that if he didn't lighten up that I'd take a ride and come visit him. A couple of other people who know me told him that I wasn't joking. He didn't believe me or them.

A friend of friends lived in assisted living at that time - he'd been in a horrible motorcycle accident - and some of my friends put together a birthday party for him. The party was in Ohio. Can you guess where this is going?

My buddy Bob lives in Vermont. I met him in Massachusetts, and we rode out to Ohio for the weekend. Keyboard commando literally turned white when we were introduced. I didn't have to say a word, just smiled.

We celebrated Eddie's birthday, and Bob and I rode home. That poster in rmh was a lot more civil after that.

What he hadn't understood was that rmh was chock full of guys who love to ride. I have friends I met there who live all over the country, literally, and I've been to many of their homes - had many of them in my homes.

This is a big country, but we can travel freely throughout it.

Love it. 👍🏻
Also the reason the majority of the biggest shit talkers will never show up for link ups and such, so much easier to be a dick online than to have to continue that persona in person with people who may just knock you the f*** out just for general purposes.

Great post. Know exactly what you bring to the table and don’t be afraid to eat alone.

You (we all) have to remind ourselves that a lot of folks in the online communities were shut ins before all this lock down started, they’ve never really felt or lived in an alpha role outside or in their daily lives.

Now give them some seniority online, a cheap plate carrier and a couple guns in their safe and they assume an alpha personality, without the actual experience of learning and understanding that being an alpha actually doesn’t mean talking shit and being an a**h*** to everybody around you.

You can see that in the temper tantrums that they throw and the amount of disrespect they expel to others they don’t even know, without fear of any physical backlash that would’ve been learned on the street.

(Excerpt from Dr Cams’ daily motivational)

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    7.8 MB · Views: 5
NES: ~opinion~

NES: What the f*** did you just f***ing say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the f*** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my f***ing words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, f***er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're f***ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your f***ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're f***ing dead, kiddo.

lmao at "gorilla warfare"
I saw Skysoldier at a grocery store in New Mexico yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Scrivener....That was the lawyers screen name!!

Yes. And many here have been “Scrivened”

Which is the term for being bitch slapped when they didnt know what they were talking about or ran their mouth a bit fast and loose on laws.

My ass included....and if I needed a lawyer. It would be him.

Love it. 👍🏻
Also the reason the majority of the biggest shit talkers will never show up for link ups and such, so much easier to be a dick online than to have to continue that persona in person with people who may just knock you the f*** out just for general purposes.

It's easy to talk sh!t when you don't have to look someone in the face. Posting is not a great way to communicate. You're missing facial expressions and voice tone so if you're in a bad mood or easily offended you'll supply that info in a negative way.

When I first started posting there was someone who gave me a hard time about nearly anything I posted. It takes a lot to get under my skin but I did remember the username. Years later I met them in person and there was a lot of back peddling and some vague attempts at explaining the online behavior. Because of that I figured they were probably a decent person. I didn't even bring it up. I think they felt like a jerk for picking on a tiny woman...……........who may or may not be armed. lol ;)

It's easy to talk sh!t when you don't have to look someone in the face. Posting is not a great way to communicate. You're missing facial expressions and voice tone so if you're in a bad mood or easily offended you'll supply that info in a negative way.

When I first started posting there was someone who gave me a hard time about nearly anything I posted. It takes a lot to get under my skin but I did remember the username. Years later I met them in person and there was a lot of back peddling and some vague attempts at explaining the online behavior. Because of that I figured they were probably a decent person. I didn't even bring it up. I think they felt like a jerk for picking on a tiny woman...……........who may or may not be armed. lol ;)

Absolutely. And it’s not just NES, it’s every forum I’ve ever stopped by to read on, however briefly.

There’s always a small group of people with no self discipline or confidence who need to reinvent themselves online, sadly not always for the better.

Yes. And many here have been “Scrivened”

Which is the term for being bitch slapped when they didnt know what they were talking about or ran their mouth a bit fast and loose on laws.

My ass included....and if I needed a lawyer. It would be him.
I was Scrivened on my first post here asking about gun laws..."ARGHGHG use the search function....SCREEEECH, you assumed wrong and are stupid" basically.....it's like ok dude we get it you're a miserable prick, maybe just don't respond if you don't want to help and share your knowledge....

Love it. 👍🏻
IIRC, didn't I have to convince you of that before you felt comfortable joining us for our monthly dinners?

Yes sir. I just didn’t want to ruin anybody’s time and travel by pulling one of these a**h***s over the table by their neck. lol
Well, I'm glad that you and some of your friends joined us. Too bad we couldn't convince Gus to join us too.

Well, I'm glad that you and some of your friends joined us. Too bad we couldn't convince Gus to join us too.

Agreed. Everybody I’ve met there has been very kind and polite, always an enjoyable evening.

Old Gus, he’s a funny MF. Great guy, still one of my best friends, been through a lot together, he’s just not very sociable with strangers.

Love it. 👍🏻
There was a member here with the screen name @Quiet.

He’s banned now but when he was posting I told Mrs. Flare that he was the kind of guy who would never attend an in-person NES event because of the scuffles he’d get in with other posters.

He showed up for a Natick Get-Together.

I remember someone saying at B&K, “You’re Quiet? I’ve gone around and around with you!”

He was a good guy and he came to several Natick Get-Togethers even after he was banned. I’ll bet he’s still on the email list.

His wife and Mrs. Flare became friends although I don’t know if they’re still keeping in touch.

I try to treat people like I might meet them someday.

There was a member here with the screen name @Quiet.

He’s banned now but when he was posting I told Mrs. Flare that he was the kind of guy who would never attend an in-person NES event because of the scuffles he’d get in with other posters.

He showed up for a Natick Get-Together.

I remember someone saying at B&K, “You’re Quiet? I’ve gone around and around with you!”

He was a good guy and he came to several Natick Get-Togethers even after he was banned. I’ll bet he’s still on the email list.

His wife and Mrs. Flare became friends although I don’t know if they’re still keeping in touch.

I try to treat people like I might meet them someday.

Exactly right. It’s much easier to drink your beer if you don’t have to worry about the 3 dudes sitting around glaring at you and you don’t know their screennames yet or which one will jump first.

It’s just easier and more enjoyable to be nice to people. I like the old saying “it’s easier to escalate a situation if needed than to de-escalate because you
came off like an ass from the start” (something like that).

Sadly I imagine some people are really just dickheads in real life too, so nobody wants them around and they get stuck online for their only social interactions, you want to feel bad for them but it’s a problem of their own creation and every day is another day to correct it.

Exactly right. It’s much easier to drink your beer if you don’t have to worry about the 3 dudes sitting around glaring at you and you don’t know their screennames yet or which one will jump first.

It’s just easier and more enjoyable to be nice to people. I like the old saying “it’s easier to escalate a situation if needed than to de-escalate because you
came off like an ass from the start” (something like that).

Sadly I imagine some people are really just dickheads in real life too, so nobody wants them around and they get stuck online for their only social interactions, you want to feel bad for them but it’s a problem of their own creation and every day is another day to correct it.

There are a few here I wouldn't mind fighting... but I have them on ignore and have no qualms if they showed up at a meet up backing up anything I typed 😅😅😅😅

Everyone else on nes has been a class act in person.

There are a few here I wouldn't mind fighting... but I have them on ignore and have no qualms if they showed up at a meet up backing up anything I typed 😅😅😅😅

Everyone else on nes has been a class act in person.

Right. My memory sucks though so if I use the ignore feature I’ll forget why I don’t like them if we ever meet. 😂😂😂🍻

The problem with the internet is keyboard written words lack context, and people sometimes forget this.

You're having fun, you have a few drinks, your kids or wife are pissing you off, whatever it is, NES is a good outlet.

Some people are naturally just sarcastic and maybe even slightly verbally combative (glances left and right) but real-life social situations are augmented by body language and the unspoken.

Charisma and general demeanor normally help the most obnoxiously sarcastic of us (glances left and right) communicate in-person what we are really thinking without getting punched in the face.

So when you read some stupid shit on NES and you want to punch someone in the face (glances left and right) its probably a good idea to try to look at it as the lens of the internet making other people look uglier, because they're bored and irritated, and you're bored and irritated.

I often find myself typing something out and then turning around and hitting the backspace button. I can be a sarcastic @hole with the best of them but this forum has been a wealth of knowledge even beyond 2A issues.

NES is one of my main sources of news.

I was Scrivened on my first post here asking about gun laws..."ARGHGHG use the search function....SCREEEECH, you assumed wrong and are stupid" basically.....it's like ok dude we get it you're a miserable prick, maybe just don't respond if you don't want to help and share your knowledge....
Haha Drgrant and Len-2A did that to me when I first got on asking the usual dumb questions.

We're all working here , but my neighbor has been in the house with two 15 year old twins and her ex for about three weeks.
She asked me this weekend if I know anyone with a backhoe and some lime.
We've got neighbors asking whether we can take in a pet. I think they are working up to asking if we'd take in a family member.

They're all cool, so I figure, sure. I mean the dogs and cats are cash net-negative, but the family members might be a good long-term investment.

Civility.

I suspect people have too much time stuck at home with family members they dont like or are not used to spending so much time with or...

The level of civility on NES seems to have fallen. More and more I open threads to find people bickering like 6 year olds with one another. (Say with clenched jaw and in a snarky tone) "do you read your own posts?" "did you even read what I wrote?" "calling it a strawman is ad hominem" WAHHHHH

I dont know if the rate of infractions is up or not, but it would not surprise me seeing what people are posting.

I hate meta threads like this as opposed to real content, but was struck by what I kept finding, thread after thread.

Where is @one-eyed Jack or @Skysoldier when we need them?
I think about 80% of it disintegrates with a little bit of time as folks process their mentality and the other 20 maybe addressed in a different way.
Just mho

Back
Top Bottom