• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Civility is suffering

There are a lot of guys in here that need to tone it down. Crackpot is right, some are becoming tiresome.

I'm stuck in the house with my wife and 4 kids, I get it.
And 20K+ other kids online. ;)

Joking aside ...

I am also seeing this at work, people are starting to get stressed out. My boss walks out to her car or her roof to have conference calls. The other day she had to walk in to grab some notes and she was attacked by her kids "I need this" "I need that" "cant find the keys"... she is losing it and so are a lot of other parents.

Proof that we will not have more online learning in the future. If anything, school hours are more likely to be extended rather than reduced.

Like every crisis, this one is bringing out the best in most people, but the worst in some. And that is a reflection of their character, so note well!

If
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling 1895

As I remember he was a pretty knowledgable guy
As long as you agreed with him. In the beginning, it was his point of view or nothing and he was very direct and aggressive about it.

After a while, I think he relaxed a little. He was still direct and aggressive, but it seemed he would consider other points of view.

What I miss the most are all the AK threads with Flintoid, Atilla, Boris ... and a few others.

When all the AK guys ganged up on an AR thread, those were epic. And the best part is people didnt insult other members, it was all fun.

Bro, where were you during the NES wild west days, circa 2010-11?

Now that was a great time. It was ruthless.

Then the mods went all Maura and Nancy on us, did a few no warrant raids and dissapeared a lot of members.
Yeah, I was one that got banned by a Mod who seemed to have an affinity and very protective of, and had issue with the comments about the name of a new Navy ship that is being built.

And 20K+ other kids online. ;)

Joking aside ...

I am also seeing this at work, people are starting to get stressed out. My boss walks out to her car or her roof to have conference calls. The other day she had to walk in to grab some notes and she was attacked by her kids "I need this" "I need that" "cant find the keys"... she is losing it and so are a lot of other parents.

Proof that we will not have more online learning in the future. If anything, school hours are more likely to be extended rather than reduced.
My wife was issued a headset and has turned one of the guest rooms into an office but I still get texts from the 2nd floor telling me to get the dog to stop barking.

NES is lucky to have so many intelligent members, with varied areas of expertise. I'm educated daily.
How very true. I've picked up a lot on varied topics over the years here.

As for the tone, I would bet most here are "alpha" types, put a bunch of them together and its gonna get interesting.

How very true. I've picked up a lot on varied topics over the years here.

As for the tone, I would bet most here are "alpha" types, put a bunch of them together and its gonna get interesting.
That there is it in a nutshell. There are some here that I would guess are very much on the timid side.

NES is lucky to have so many intelligent members, with varied areas of expertise. I'm educated daily.
NES is awesome for that. Pick a topic, and there is someone that works in that industry.

From construction to legal, finance, medicine, biotech, software, all sorts of manufacturing ...

You have the guy making minimum wage and the people making $300K+/year. All sharing information.

That is on top of all the gun related info.

There are a lot of guys in here that need to tone it down. Crackpot is right, some are becoming tiresome.

We've got three grandchildren living with us. 15, 10 & 4. Their father is deemed essential, he's going to work each day. I'm working from home, (that's normal for me). My wife has been doing the home-schooling and caretaking of the kids during the day. I start helping when my workday (and NES time), is over.

She just made an executive decision to let the 10 year old sleep in - because she'd like some peace and quiet to drink her coffee in.

If you need to get away I have a room for you. Hell or just send the kids they will have a blast. But don't send the wife!

As long as you agreed with him. In the beginning, it was his point of view or nothing and he was very direct and aggressive about it.

After a while, I think he relaxed a little. He was still direct and aggressive, but it seemed he would consider other points of view.

What I miss the most are all the AK threads with Flintoid, Atilla, Boris ... and a few others.

When all the AK guys ganged up on an AR thread, those were epic. And the best part is people didnt insult other members, it was all fun.
Atilla's avatar was disturbing, I don't miss that.

The level of civility on NES seems to have fallen.

NES: ~opinion~

NES: What the f*** did you just f***ing say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the f*** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my f***ing words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, f***er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're f***ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your f***ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're f***ing dead, kiddo.

lmao at "gorilla warfare"

Like every crisis, this one is bringing out the best in most people, but the worst in some. And that is a reflection of their character, so note well!

If
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling 1895

Great post. Know exactly what you bring to the table and don’t be afraid to eat alone.

You (we all) have to remind ourselves that a lot of folks in the online communities were shut ins before all this lock down started, they’ve never really felt or lived in an alpha role outside or in their daily lives.

Now give them some seniority online, a cheap plate carrier and a couple guns in their safe and they assume an alpha personality, without the actual experience of learning and understanding that being an alpha actually doesn’t mean talking shit and being an a**h*** to everybody around you.

You can see that in the temper tantrums that they throw and the amount of disrespect they expel to others they don’t even know, without fear of any physical backlash that would’ve been learned on the street.

(Excerpt from Dr Cams’ daily motivational)

NES: ~opinion~

NES: What the f*** did you just f***ing say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the f*** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my f***ing words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, f***er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're f***ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your f***ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're f***ing dead, kiddo.

lmao at "gorilla warfare"
Are you too young to remember Gecko45?

View attachment 346027

lol couldn't resist. I am not too young by a long shot, but wasn't paying attention for a decade or so, really just back into this in the last five or so years.
After you posted "opinion" it was the only thing that popped into my dusty mind.
For all the youngsters out there that have aspirations to be the best and the baddest, Gecko45 was the original Mall Ninja.

Back
Top Bottom