• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Civilian Marksmanship Program

I recently learned about the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) while discussing with a friend my desire to (eventually) own an M1 Garand. While looking through CMP website, I noticed that on top of selling rifles, they also sell bulk ammunition.

Does anybody on this board have any experience with this program or the products they offer?

http://www.odcmp.com/sales.htm

Thanks much!

- P -

Absolutely. They are the first place you should go to buy a Garand and/or ammo. They have two "stores" The North store is at Camp Perry in Ohio. The South Store is in Anniston, Alabama. Their history is cool. At the end of WWII the government was concerned about the lack of recruits who could shoot rifle. So, they decided to sell the Garands at a low cost to anyone who wanted one, essentially, in hopes that should another war break out the owners of the Garands would have some rifle shooting experience. Initially the government, itself, ran the program called "ODCMP" Office of Defense Civilian Markmenship Program. Now it's just CMP and is now private but they are the only "company" provided with a license to sell the Garands, o3A3s, carbinets, etc. Any they also sell bulk ammo like Greek 30.06, Federal .223/5.56 etc., etc. Today, too, you have to belong to a club that participates with the CMP program and, of course, are members of the NRA. Here's a photo of the North Store:http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/stores.htm

Get 'em while you can. It's quite the experience to get into either of the stores and handle so much history. It smells great in there, too!

Rome

Excellent organization. Good rifles at an excellent price, a piece of history. Friendly customer service. As for garands, some day the CMP will run out so get 'em while you can. In the meantime the price will only continue to go up. Talk to any old timer who paid $150 for a Garand from the DCM (predecessor to the CMP).

I have shot a couple hundred rounds of the current Greek 30-06 they are selling. It's very good and reloadable. I agree with what has been said before, If you want an M1 through CMP, you should jump on it. I have bought 3 and the first one was the best- an absolutely perfect H&R in Service + condition. The next one was also an H&R in Service condition but not original wood. The last one was Winchester 3/3 TE/ME but worn cosmetically. And now you cannot even get the Winchesters (got mine 6 months ago). My father in was the Anniston store 9 months ago? The pickings are getting slim. And I have watched the prices over the past 3-4 years, they just get higher. I would not be surprised if CMP is all played out in another 3 years. Unless those Korean M1's ever make it here....

Back
Top Bottom