Civil War type cannon

I just bought a new house and want to set up a nice flagpole/cannon display for the front yard.

Does anyone know where to find a cannon suitable for display. Any kind of cannon will work from the Revolutionary War to a modern day Patriot Missile!

Cash is always a concern and I wouldn't want to display something very valuable to the weather. I would even consider building a fake cannon out of raw materials or styrofoam (only serious) so long as it looks good on the front lawn!

Can anyone point me in a direction short of knocking on peoples doors that are currently displaying one!

Does anyone know where to find a cannon suitable for display. Any kind of cannon will work from the Revolutionary War to a modern day Patriot Missile!
. . .
Cash is always a concern and I wouldn't want to display something very valuable to the weather. I would even consider building a fake cannon out of raw materials or styrofoam (only serious) so long as it looks good on the front lawn!
Your best option would be to build a form and cast a PVC-and-rebar-cored cannon-shaped object in concrete. This will stand up to the weather and vandalism, and not be valuable enough for anybody to steal.

I'd go with a non-wheeled carriage (e.g. railroad ties) instead of putting it on wheels. Easier to construct, harder to mess with.
DSC_0016.jpg

If you don't get a cannon that actually fires, you're sally![laugh](Kidding)
No cannon law in New Hampshire.

The tavern where NES green members hold our S.NH GTG has a revolutionary war cannon as their logo and (recreated in 1988) engineering diagrams for that cannon's wooden carriage as wall art. I brought my 25mm muzzle-loading mortar to our second meetup.

My next project is to make a half-scale replica of that cannon with a simplified carriage. The completed barrel for a functional half-scale 6 pounder runs $725 at Dixie Gun Works, and is "golf ball" caliber.

Find me a bigger lathe and I'll make you one :)

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...cating-a-75-cal-Black-Powder-Cannon-*FINISHED

If youre looking full scale, ones capable of firing blanks in around 1.5"+ bore can be found but will probably run a couple thousand bucks to have manufactured, plus if youre in MA you need to go through BS to fire it unlike NH. Anything of age is going to cost an absolute fortune as they are so rare in private hands and 99% is still owned by the gov't.

If you want full size and no worry, I'd go the fake cannon route others have suggested here.

[rofl] I would love to get my hands on that foot.[rofl] I forgot all about those guys. [rofl]

My mother came over my house a while back while I was cleaning a couple guns and she walks in and says "You gotta be very, very careful with those guns, they make me very scary!" We both died laughing right then and there. [lol]

The Jerky Boys are still as good as ever.

Years ago a friend of mine and I went to a salvage sale at Sandia National Labs in Albuquerque. My friend was a firearms enthusiast ,and a brilliant Engineer.

We were walking around the yard of pallets, each one piled high with everything you could imagine. Electronics, scrap metal, lab equipment....you name it.

All this cool stuff, purchased with our tax dollars, and now being sold for pennies per pound for scrap![smile]

My friend spotted this one pallet....and his eyes got wide as a saucer! It was a piece of Hydraulic Tube, about 7 inches in Diameter and about 4 foot long.

The inside bore was also the perfect diameter to fit beer can, (which we found out later!)

It also turned out that the hole for the hydarulic fitting on the closed end was perfect for pouring in the black powder and inserting a fuse.

(Did I mention that my friend was a brilliant Engineer!)[rofl]

A month later, we took it out to the west mesa west of Albuquerque to try it out. Four crazy Engineers, two cases of beer, and a big can of Black Powder!

Test 1: Empty beer can
Result 1: Beer can is crushed before it leaves the barrel....and flies through the air spinning...maybe 50 yards.
Conclusion 1: Try a full can of beer.

Test 2: Full beer can
Result 1: Can goes much further..spewing a cloud of beer everywhere....maybe 75 yards.
Conclusion 2: What a waste of a good beer!

Test 3: Drink the beer, fill an empty beer can with sand.
Result 3: Holy shit! Where did it go! My ears are ringing!
Conclusion 3: The projectile needs to have enough mass to withstand the force propelling it!

On the next trip to the mesa, we brought beer cans filled with cement..and we and a contest to see which can went the farthest....

But we never could find most of them....and were too drunk to give a shit anyways![rofl][rofl][rofl]

But, that was New Mexico.....good luck trying that up here in New England!

Last edited:
Years ago a friend of mine and I went to a salvage sale at Sandia National Labs in Albuquerque. My friend was a firearms enthusiast ,and a brilliant Engineer.

We were walking around the yard of pallets, each one piled high with everything you could imagine. Electronics, scrap metal, lab equipment....you name it.

All this cool stuff, purchased with our tax dollars, and now being sold for pennies per pound for scrap![smile]

My friend spotted this one pallet....and his eyes got wide as a saucer! It was a piece of Hydraulic Tube, about 7 inches in Diameter and about 4 foot long.

The inside bore was also the perfect diameter to fit beer can, (which we found out later!)

It also turned out that the hole for the hydarulic fitting on the closed end was perfect for pouring in the black powder and inserting a fuse.

(Did I mention that my friend was a brilliant Engineer!)[rofl]

A month later, we took it out to the west mesa west of Albuquerque to try it out. Four crazy Engineers, two cases of beer, and a big can of Black Powder!

Test 1: Empty beer can
Result 1: Beer can is crushed before it leaves the barrel....and flies through the air spinning...maybe 50 yards.
Conclusion 1: Try a full can of beer.

Test 2: Full beer can
Result 1: Can goes much further..spewing a cloud of beer everywhere....maybe 75 yards.
Conclusion 2: What a waste of a good beer!

Test 3: Drink the beer, fill an empty beer can with sand.
Result 3: Holy shit! Where did it go! My ears are ringing!
Conclusion 3: The projectile needs to have enough mass to withstand the force propelling it!

On the next trip to the mesa, we brought beer cans filled with cement..and we and a contest to see which can went the farthest....

But we never could find most of them....and were too drunk to give a shit anyways![rofl][rofl][rofl]

But, that was New Mexico.....good luck trying that up here in New England!

Well, it was a while back, when I was a kid (~45 years ago, I guess) but I went to a cannon shoot, probably at Monadnock R&G, and I can remember mortars launching cement-filled cans. [laugh]

I just bought a new house and want to set up a nice flagpole/cannon display for the front yard.

Can anyone point me in a direction short of knocking on peoples doors that are currently displaying one!

Dixiegunworks.com

I thought this was a joke until I clicked on it. Now Im even more perturbed at the Kommonwealth.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Yes, wow! Certificate of Competency for Cannon/Motar. This is very disturbing. The power of our nanny state to regulate behavior never fails to continuously suprise. How many more cannon murders will it take Mr. Speaker before we regulate these weapons of mass destruction? I guess it must be for the children!

To contrast, when I asked my police about my cannon a few years back their response was that I could call dispatch to warn them so that if they received calls they wouldnt have to come out. Love NH

Back
Top Bottom