Civil War Buffs? Massachusetts 1st Cavalry Sidearm/Firearm question

My great X3 grandfather was living in New Hampshire when the Civil War broke out. He joined out of Massachusetts and was put in the 1st Massachusetts Cavalry. I have 2 of his letters he penned in 1863 back home to his parents in a frame. Quite an interesting read and the spelling was not amazing..."I will rite to you a few lines" Anywho, above the letters I have hung his Grand Army of the Republic Sword. I've tried to do some research on the type of side arm carried by union cavalry members, and I'm specifically looking at what would have been issued to the 1st Massachusetts Cavalry around the time of 1861. Carbines? Revolvers? Both? There were so many makes and models its hard to pin point what they were issued. Does anyone have a contact who may know a little more about the type of firearms they carried? The purpose for this is I'd like to buy a modern replica, and put it up on the wall as well. I'd also love to find out if we could nail down what company he was assigned to. Its important because of the story below!

I now live in Charleston on James Island in South Carolina. The MA 1st Cavalry was assigned to the department of the south in 1862, which is why he ended up down here. The letters from him were out of Hilton Head in 1863. One of the companies fought in the Battle of Successionville, which was the only battle fought by the union on land to take charleston. Can't be sure, but its possible he fought there. If so, my great great grandfather would have fought the confederates no less than 5 miles from where I currently live, 157 years later.

Thanks for the help!

Blake Letter.jpgBlake Display.jpg

Last edited:
Can't help, except to suggest you contact the MAARNG? Somebody ended up with the records of the state militia units, and if it wasn't the Guard, they might be able to tell you who did.

It'll take an archivist to locate the unit's old records, spread them out on a table, and figure out how many of which kinds of weapons they purchased, and when, and where the rosters are that list your ancestor as a member. That takes time. Expect to pay something for that time, though I have no clue what the process is.

Thanks for the replies! Yes my dad had the sword int he closet for the longest time, and I finally told him I wanted to display it and he gave me the letters and the sword.

Thats the Mass National Guard? They have records of that stuff from state militia units? I suppose it makes sense. No I have not tried to contact anyone there, but thats a possibility. Looks like they were a voluntary cavalry unit.

It has been over 10 years so I forget the detail but I was able to get my second great grandfathers service record from the historical archives for something like $50. Perhaps someone here could provide the details.

Thanks for the replies! Yes my dad had the sword int he closet for the longest time, and I finally told him I wanted to display it and he gave me the letters and the sword.

Thats the Mass National Guard? They have records of that stuff from state militia units? I suppose it makes sense. No I have not tried to contact anyone there, but thats a possibility. Looks like they were a voluntary cavalry unit.

No idea.

But militia became NG, and as I said, they might know where to direct you.

There's a number there that you call to request militia records, but you need to do more research to find out what records you need to request. And, again, I'm sure there's a fee.

Salty,
Great display! You are so fortunate to have had your family preserve those heirlooms. My 3rd great was also in the 1st Cav. (Co. K). He was discharged at Hilton Head, April, 1862, after being kicked by a horse and injured pretty badly. If you haven't already, Fold3 is a great place to find Civil War docs. I think I still have an active subscription. I'd be happy to do a search if you give me his name and where he enlisted.

Nice story and nice to see family history preserved and on display. Will you also try to find a saber? The sword you have is a GAR ceremonial sword.

Can't help, except to suggest you contact the MAARNG? Somebody ended up with the records of the state militia units, and if it wasn't the Guard, they might be able to tell you who did.

It'll take an archivist to locate the unit's old records, spread them out on a table, and figure out how many of which kinds of weapons they purchased, and when, and where the rosters are that list your ancestor as a member. That takes time. Expect to pay something for that time, though I have no clue what the process is.
The mass guard probably doesn't have those records. This guy might.....COL (ret) Kondratiuk is the curator of the mass national guard museum in Concord mass. Great guy.

PSA the GAR museum in Lynn is a must visit. Hidden gem. And can be a helpful resource in civil war historical ancestry tracing.

Nice story and nice to see family history preserved and on display. Will you also try to find a saber? The sword you have is a GAR ceremonial sword.
Perhaps yes! The sword was his ceremonial sword post war. I think I'd need a bigger wall for another saber, a smith carbine and the revolver though lol

Salty,
Great display! You are so fortunate to have had your family preserve those heirlooms. My 3rd great was also in the 1st Cav. (Co. K). He was discharged at Hilton Head, April, 1862, after being kicked by a horse and injured pretty badly. If you haven't already, Fold3 is a great place to find Civil War docs. I think I still have an active subscription. I'd be happy to do a search if you give me his name and where he enlisted.

Thats really cool! I was able to find this information... His name was John C Blake and was in the M company. Then transferred to the 4th Mass Cavalry in 1864. If you find any other information let me know!

Personal Information
Last Name:Blake Birth:, 1840
First Name:John Death:, 1908
Middle Name:C Age:
Unit:1Branch:CAV
State:MACompany:M
Side:Union
Confederate
If Federal
State From:
Enlisted:September 17, 1861 Discharged:September 24, 1864
Veteran
Summary
2/12/64 transfer to 4th Mass. Cavalry, Co. \"M\"

I am writing to you a bit late in response to your original post. I also have a great, great grandfather who was a member of the 1st Mass Cavalry - Henry Furnett. He enlisted in the new 3rd Battalion that was raised in December 1863/January 1864. That late in the war the regiment was issued Sharps Carbines and Colt revolvers. I actually have an 1859 Sharps Carbine that I can trace to the 1st Mass Cav, New 3rd Battalion. I am a collector of 1st Mass Cav relics and I am actively looking for a revolver at this time that can be traced to the 1st Mass Cav. If you know of and relics from th eregiment, I am interested in buyong them.

Back
Top Bottom