• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Civil Unrest -- the Army's Plans to deal with unruly crowds - snipe the leaders

beaker

NES Member
Hopefully you won't qualify for one of the blocks of the Graduated Response Matrix. See page 2-10 for people with clubs or knives. I wonder if the National Guard will use the tactics outlined in this pub down in MO?

• Ensure that target leaders or troublemakers are targeted.
• Use the minimum response necessary.
• Exploit the psychological effect of an attack.
• Determine that sniper response is insufficient.
• Consider demonstrating capabilities.
• Exploit the psychological effect of a lethal response.
• Escalate gradually, starting with a small caliber, single round and work up to a large caliber, automatic.

http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR_pubs/dr_a/pdf/atp3_39x33.pdf

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/...-Snipers-Against-Civilians-In-Riot-Situations

For those who might think this is only about overseas, see the very 1st paragraph.

From the Preface:
"ATP 3-39.33 provides discussion and techniques about civil disturbances and crowd control operations that occur in the continental United States (CONUS) and outside the continental United States (OCONUS). United States (U.S.) forces deploy in support of unified action, overseas contingency operations, and humanitarian assistance worldwide. During these ope rations, U.S. forces are often faced with unruly and violent crowds who have the intent of disrupting peace and the ability of U.S. forces to maintain peace. Worldwide instability coupled with U.S. military participation in unified-action, peacekeeping, and related operations require that U.S. forces have access to the most current doctrine and techniques that are necessary to quell riots and restore public order."

Hopefully you won't qualify for one of the blocks of the Graduated Response Matrix. See page 2-10 for people with clubs or knives. I wonder if the National Guard will use the tactics outlined in this pub down in MO?

• Ensure that target leaders or troublemakers are targeted.
• Use the minimum response necessary.
• Exploit the psychological effect of an attack.
• Determine that sniper response is insufficient.
• Consider demonstrating capabilities.
• Exploit the psychological effect of a lethal response.
• Escalate gradually, starting with a small caliber, single round and work up to a large caliber, automatic.

yeah, rough. But it is the last line that scares me, the one where they suggest "nuke them from orbit, its the only way to be sure..."

Leaders should consider leaving their fancy leader hats at home for any civil unrest.

Last edited:
Quelling a violent riot is one thing, but many in the military would not follow orders that outright violated the constitution.

Quelling a violent riot is one thing, but many in the military would not follow orders that outright violated the constitution.

Hopefully true.

Works both ways.

If necessary, citizens are not only NOT bound by any prohibition against acting against the .mil/.gov when they are misbehaving, 2a almost precisely instructs us to do so.

Last edited:
Hopefully true.

If necessary, citizens are not only bound by any prohibition against acting against the .mil/.gov when they are misbehaving, 2a almost precisely instructs us to do so.

I think you need to remove the word "only" for your statement to make sense.

But many in the military (and domestic military DHS) would follow those orders. Just make sure you don't forget that, power and money are very strong influences. People love being in the "protected elite" class, even if it means shooting your ass.

You haven't followed the situation in Ukraine, have you? There are always people who are willing. You don't need a lot of them.

From document page 29 of 132:

Note. Remember there is a difference in the actions that can be taken by military forces within
CONUS as compared to OCONUS.

I like the "remember" part.

You haven't followed the situation in Ukraine, have you? There are always people who are willing. You don't need a lot of them.

I'd like to think those in our military have a different mindset being American and growing up with different ideals.

I'd like to think those in our military have a different mindset being American and growing up with different ideals.

I think you're being naive, like I said before, money and power have a large influence on people. "Being American" can only go so far when it comes down to feeding and protecting your family. There are plenty of people either in the armed forces for just the paycheck or who would happily line up at the recruitment office for a ticket into the "party".

Where do they rank guys with CCW sashes?
They are seen as the leaders they are.
leader_single_liq_steel_v42fd.jpg

If that's what helps you sleep at night.

You weren't in the military I take it.

In the Baton Techniques section, there are descriptions of high block, low block, strong-side block and middle block, but no Hard Block. Is the hard block too advanced for this sort of manual or is it too powerful for use in a purely defensive situation?

In a state of emergency where the Army is being deployed domestically our "rights" will already have been suspended, for the public good of course. At that point the constitution is an afterthought.

In the Baton Techniques section, there are descriptions of high block, low block, strong-side block and middle block, but no Hard Block. Is the hard block too advanced for this sort of manual or is it too powerful for use in a purely defensive situation?
How can there possibly be anything too powerful in a defensive situation?

You weren't in the military I take it.

7.5 years active duty Army infantry, and still serving in the national guard with over twenty in. I'm a bit familiar with the reasons most join. While not always for purely patriotic reasons, in some part it is in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom