• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

City of San Jose mandates videotaping of all gun purchases

Reptile

NES Member
SAN JOSE, Calif. - San Jose officials have passed a new gun law that requires retailers to video-record all firearm purchases, becoming the largest city in California with such a rule.

The City Council unanimously approved the new law Tuesday, less than a month after a disgruntled employee fatally shot nine of his co-workers and then himself at a rail yard in San Jose, according to police.

The new ordinance is aimed at deterring an illegal practice known as straw purchasing, in which someone buys a gun for another person such as a felon or minor who is prohibited from owning firearms, the Mercury News reported.

Most retail stores in San Jose already have some sort of surveillance system. The new law requires them to take an extra step to capture audio and to retain the videos for at least 30 days, giving law enforcement the opportunity to collect evidence they might need to solve some gun crimes, said City Attorney Nora Frimann.

The new law is part of a 10-point gun control plan that Liccardo unveiled last week following the rail yard shooting by a disgruntled Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority employee who killed himself.

"We know a significant number of crooks and gangs get firearms through straw purchasing," Mayor Sam Liccardo said. "This set of ordinances is really focused on narrowing the flow of guns to those which are clearly legal and hopefully doing something to deter the flow of guns that are unlawful to own."

The mayor’s plan also calls for a separate ordinance that would require gun owners to carry liability insurance and pay a fee to cover taxpayer costs associated with firearm violence. The council is expected to consider that proposal this fall.

San Jose joined Chicago and several smaller California cities — including Campbell, El Cerrito and San Carlos — in requiring the videotaping of gun sales, according to the Giffords Law Center. Walmart, the nation’s largest gun seller, started voluntarily videotaping gun sales in 2008.

Gun-rights advocates, like the Sacramento-based Firearms Policy Coalition, criticized the new ordinance, calling it unconstitutional.

"It is outrageous that Mayor Liccardo wants to use ‘Big Brother’-style omniveillance to record gun owners’ every move, violating the privacy of millions, especially at-risk firearm purchasers," the coalition wrote in a statement.

Next they will take the video and post on social media.

This will allow "concerned citizens" to turn in these domestic terrorists to Merrick Garland.

LMAO so they pass a law thats basically hopelesslly redundant.

Is there an 01 or 07 in San Jose that DOESNT have cameras installed? I doubt it. There's probably not very many of them, either.

MOAR virtue signaling, pls.

LMAO so they pass a law thats basically hopelesslly redundant.

Is there an 01 or 07 in San Jose that DOESNT have cameras installed? I doubt it. There's probably not very many of them, either.

MOAR virtue signaling, pls.
That was part of the argument by the firearm prohibitionists in San Jose--that firearm dealers could easily ensure they are recording the faces of purchasers and audio of the transaction because they already were equipped.

Those Dems are just pissed they lost their AWB. Will have no effect on gang violence.
They did not lose their AWB. There is a stay in effect, and the disarmament enthusiasts are going to get a favorable ruling from the 9th. In the end, it will be like Judge Benitez's ruling never happened.

Was the “rail yard” shooting even a straw purchase?
No. And it wasn't some crime of passion where a 10-day waiting period would have done anything. He had his guns for a long time. He was also (diagnosed?) suffering from bipolar disorder.

I double-dog dare San Jose (or any city, really) to solve a single crime -- straw purchase or otherwise -- using one of these recordings. I'll give them a year. I guarantee this feel-good law will do nothing but create the additional hurdle gun rights activists say it is. Just adding unnecessary expense and hassle to an already convoluted process.

Last edited:
Just push for a counter-proposal law. All voters who are voting must be video AND audio recorded, and the footage stored for at least 30 days. (so no more mail order voting).

Guess I'd still be wearing a mask for "covid safety" and using one of those handheld voice boxes - "due to loss of vocal cords". (try stopping me from using it for "medical reasons".)

The problem with this is that the new law also requires capturing the audio, too. An FPC attorney interviewed on Fox, and as noted in the article, said the FPC will file a suit against this.

Back
Top Bottom